Auburn Football

mitzustu

They lose 12 starters by my count including 4 OL, Kerryon Johnson, both starting safeties, a first round corner(Davis), and the Kicker. Add Kam Pettway and a starting LB as well.

Definitely not an invincible team as they lose Rhett Lashlee as well.

Lashlee wasn't there last year either.

I think it is quite possible there is a serious movement to oust Gus after next season, simply because of how the 2018 season might go and the fact that a good chunk of their fanbase is over him already. Basically every Auburn fan I know is upset about the extension they gave him. I can see them being good in 2018 and being right there in the mix for a West title, but I also could see them losing 4-5 games.

Lashlee wasn't there last year either.

I think it is quite possible there is a serious movement to oust Gus after next season, simply because of how the 2018 season might go and the fact that a good chunk of their fanbase is over him already. Basically every Auburn fan I know is upset about the extension they gave him. I can see them being good in 2018 and being right there in the mix for a West title, but I also could see them losing 4-5 games.

My bad on Lashlee. I’m not saying we beat them. But I don’t feel nearly as bad as when I was watching them play knowing we had them on the schedule.

They lose 12 starters by my count including 4 OL, Kerryon Johnson, both starting safeties, a first round corner(Davis), and the Kicker. Add Kam Pettway and a starting LB as well.

Definitely not an invincible team as they lose Rhett Lashlee as well.

And don't forget, we have (most) all of our OL returning !

I'm really looking forward to this and all of our games this year under Coach Pruitt. I think we'll certainly be more competitive this year (hopefully fewer OL off side penalties, especially at critical times).

And don't forget, we have (most) all of our OL returning !

I'm really looking forward to this and all of our games this year under Coach Pruitt. I think we'll certainly be more competitive this year (hopefully fewer OL off side penalties, especially at critical times).

This team will be better coached and better disciplined than Butch's teams - I don't think there's any doubt about that.

Reactions: 1 person
Not only kept his job, but was rewarded with that big extension. They also have a new AD now too; I think Malzahn and Jay Jacobs were extremely close.

It has been fairly widely reported, including Finebaum, that Malzahn and Jacobs were not chummy at all.

Malzahn was the recipient of the CFB version of the parting of the Red Sea.

1. AD Jacobs had already announced he was stepping down, which was not his decision. No top tier coach would touch the Auburn job without a sitting AD.

2. After beating GA and AL, they would look foolish firing him, even if 1 above were not true.

3. Arkansas had an opening, and everyone in the world knows Malzahn would consider it, and likely take it if nothing was done at Auburn.

4. If number 3 above actually happened, given number 1, Auburn would have been screwed.

They had no choice but to overpay Malzahn instead of paying a 2-3 million less and take a huge chance on somebody else coming close to going toe-to-toe with Saban and Smart.

Auburn was screwed either way.

It has been fairly widely reported, including Finebaum, that Malzahn and Jacobs were not chummy at all.

Really? I was under the impression that several prominent Auburn boosters have wanted Gus out since about 2015, and about the only ally Gus had was Jay Jacobs.

Really? I was under the impression that several prominent Auburn boosters have wanted Gus out since about 2015, and about the only ally Gus had was Jay Jacobs.

You're right, there have. Not just some boosters, but many fans as well.

The problem they have had is a huge buyout, a reputation for having a quick trigger (Chizek), and for the past two years rumors of Jacobs leaving.

That's what kept Malzahn there until he managed to have the 8 greatest days in AU regular season history beating Number 1 back to back.

Since then, it's been downhill for them and the buyout just got bigger! :p

They’re beatable. It’s the toughest game on the schedule (because we have no chance in hell at winning the UGA or Bama games), but Auburn is a really inconsistent program. The only program I’ve ever seen go from 3-9 to a national title appearance in one year, and then back down to 8-5 the next.

They’re beatable. It’s the toughest game on the schedule (because we have no chance in hell at winning the UGA or Bama games), but Auburn is a really inconsistent program. The only program I’ve ever seen go from 3-9 to a national title appearance in one year, and then back down to 8-5 the next.

Does 9-4 to 4-8 sound familiar?

Losing the whole OL is gonna be rough for stidham but if they can protect him they got still got some good backs even if they are young

Plus Ryan Davis and Nate Craig Myers and vets

They also brought in a very good class of skill position guys

It'll be interesting to see if he does in fact get fired after his team beat both teams that appeared in the national championship game. It'll be even more interesting to see what they replace him with.

Does 9-4 to 4-8 sound familiar?

Their program makes ours look like a model of consistency by comparison. They went from an undefeated national championship season (which we haven't sniffed in 19 years) to 3-9 (a season worse than we have ever had, including last year) to 12-2 and in the title game again in the span of 4 seasons.

I sure as hell know I'd rather have their insane inconsistency than our consistency of mediocrity (or worse).

Their program makes ours look like a model of consistency by comparison. They went from an undefeated national championship season (which we haven't sniffed in 19 years) to 3-9 (a season worse than we have ever had, including last year) to 12-2 and in the title game again in the span of 4 seasons.

That four year snapshot is representative of Auburn's entire football history. They've been playing football since 1892, and have never once had back-to-back 10 win regular seasons.

That four year snapshot is representative of Auburn's entire football history. They've been playing football since 1892, and have never once had back-to-back 10 win regular seasons.

That is pretty amazing that even Pat Dye or Tuberville was able to do that.

VN Store

Back