Tubby going home... To High Point University

volfanbill

pack light and love heavy…
Looks like HPU is trying to woo Tubby back to his Alma Mater. Or perhaps Tubby is doing the wooing.

Good deal for both sides. He gets to go back and help out his alma mater for four or five years and they get a coach with a national title on his resume.

Reactions: 1 person
Good for him. Low pressure job. Maybe he can win a conference championship at his Alma mater and hang it up.

Code:
Yet another washed up coach that the game has long passed by IMO. Everyone is stuck on his National Championship pedigree. The Wildcat roster inherited was so loaded I could've led them to the title as an 8 y/o at that current time.

He has the nickname of 10-loss Tubby for good reason. He was never a great coach before the UK firing. And fact is, starting with his move to Minnesota, he's never been anything more than a borderline average coach. Produced several below average coaching seasons judging by the W column too. At best, going dancing once every 4ish or so years by winning a conference championship, pure seasonal mediocrity is what a program should expect by hiring Tubby Smith.

But being the head coach of a low-level program such as High Point is where he now belongs. His own personal self-interest as in job security for multiple years hinders on him securing a head coaching position at a university with minor pressure & zero elusions of becoming the next Gonzaga.

Now I do highly doubt his livelihood is in danger without a steady income. Whether he lands another coaching job or not in unlikely to change the way he's grown accustomed to living life. He doesn't strike me as a man who has spent his money frivolously over all these years. I'd honestly be shocked if he didn't have a few cool million stashed away inside a bank.

Last edited:
Now I shall be Dr. Phil Taking on another head coaching role at the age of 66 is probably just about remaining busy and having something to consistently do at this point. For the next 4-5 seasons, I'm sure he feels as if he'll have enough energy & life within him to do an adequate job in his mind. I believe he should walk away from the game all together. Simply speaking, from what I've read, he's just not ready to retire. It seemingly appears he's ready to commit to another multi-year contract.

Or it could be another thing on the opposite side of the spectrum. That being what I've always heard of how he's always been on a total power trip. I've read several articles describing his iron fist nature while stating how he's got an unquenchable thirst/hunger for absolute unquestioned control. Upon his firing from UK, a Wildcat insider wrote a piece where he truly referred to the way Tubby used 'brainwashing', and countless fear tactics, among other unfavored methods. Lastly the writer stated the way he ran the UK program was in great comparison to Germany while under Adolf Hitlers control, just on a smaller control & w/o the killings & racism obviously.

It's certainly not an uncommon thing, nor am I even saying having that type of influence is wrong if used correctly. If a person grows into a role of being in charge of others in a controlling dominance, I imagine it could easily become intoxicating.

So in short, walking away and giving up that type of influence, power, & and control probably isn't easy to do on your own. Often times it's got to be a forced occurrence. Tubbs may choose to coach until it's no longer a option & stops getting offers presented to him.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back