Virginia Coach classy in defeat

Vfl2407

Biggest upset in tourney history
Bennett was so good in post game interview
Just said UMBC kicked our butts
No excuses
Just gave other team all the credit
Very classy

The last five years have been brutal. Pretty much every year outside one getting upset.

last four.

if you count last five, he gets a sweet sixteen. For UVA (going against Duke and UNC every year), that's not too shabby. I think that UVa's problem is that one of the most inaccurate cliches in all of sports is their specialty: Defense (alone) does not win championships.

Their offense was mediocre all year. It was well known by anyone who watches a lot of ACC ball that anyone could beat them, it was just being able to hit the shots. No one thought it would be the first round though.

The UVA fans at the game were really just sad. They were appreciating the UMBC hysteria for what it was, and were extremely classy, but they were totally lifeless for the entire game.

Yeah I thought he was very classy.

The worst person of last night was the loser in the media who asked the UVA players right after in the press conference if they were aware that a 16 has never beaten a 1 seed. What an ass

I hated when he left Washington State. I like to see him do well, especially in the ACC where I want everyone to lose.

But that was pretty cool to see them go down.

I saw a stat that said if they had played up to their seed (I'm guessing that means win as a higher seed) they would be at least 16-6 in the tourney. Instead, they are 7-6.

Yeah I thought he was very classy.

The worst person of last night was the loser in the media who asked the UVA players right after in the press conference if they were aware that a 16 has never beaten a 1 seed. What an ass

I agree - pizzed me off

Reactions: 1 person
I saw a stat that said if they had played up to their seed (I'm guessing that means win as a higher seed) they would be at least 16-6 in the tourney. Instead, they are 7-6.

Yeah, that’s along the lines of what I was trying to recall. Obviously didn’t remember it very well.

Yeah, I can’t find the stat I heard and obviously didn’t recall it correctly.

I was busy doing lots of things (and me attempting to multitask is scary). Didn’t mean to come off like a douche, just didn’t understand based on stats given. Sorry for any confusion

He’s forming a terrible record in the tournament.

Him and Jamie Dixon are the two coaches I associate with dominating in the regular season and bombing in the postseason. May not be totally fair as there is a lot of luck involved in the NCAA tournament (one bad game and you're out), but both have a developed a track record of disappointing tournament finishes. But really difficult to chalk this one up to merely "bad luck" --- this is a team that went 17-1 in the best conference in America and even its losses were to very good teams and were reasonably close. How do you lose by 20 points to a 16 seed?

by my count, he's 7-6 at UVA, 3-2 at Washington St. That's not terrible.

10-7

It ain't great, especially for someone thought of as a top coach.

2012: 0-1 (as a 10 seed)
2014: 2-1 (as a 1 seed)
2015: 1-1 (as a 2 seed)
2016: 3-1 (as a 4 seed)
2017: 1-1 (as a 5 seed)
2018: 0-1 (as a 1 seed)

He's been at least a 5 seed 5 times while at UVA but has only made the Elite Eight once, the Sweet Sixteen twice. He's only had what can be considered a "good" run in the tournament once, in 2016.

Bennett IS a top coach. He's dominated the ACC year in and year out at a program that's at a massive talent advantage to UNC and Duke. If Syracuse doesn't pull off a legit miracle to come back on them in 2016, no one is fretting about his tournament performance.

Him and Jamie Dixon are the two coaches I associate with dominating in the regular season and bombing in the postseason. May not be totally fair as there is a lot of luck involved in the NCAA tournament (one bad game and you're out), but both have a developed a track record of disappointing tournament finishes. But really difficult to chalk this one up to merely "bad luck" --- this is a team that went 17-1 in the best conference in America and even its losses were to very good teams and were reasonably close. How do you lose by 20 points to a 16 seed?

Some of these coaches seem to have their "aw shucks, we had one bad game" moment almost always in the tournament though. Despite having elite talent every year, Sean Miller has never made a Final Four at Arizona. Mick Cronin hasn't even made it to the Sweet Sixteen since 2012, which was his only Sweet Sixteen appearance. Bill Self has won a title at Kansas, but he's also been bounced before the Sweet Sixteen 5 times in 15 years (33% of the time? Seems awfully high for a program such as Kansas).

Some of these coaches seem to have their "aw shucks, we had one bad game" moment almost always in the tournament though. Despite having elite talent every year, Sean Miller has never made a Final Four at Arizona. Mick Cronin hasn't even made it to the Sweet Sixteen since 2012, which was his only Sweet Sixteen appearance. Bill Self has won a title at Kansas, but he's also been bounced before the Sweet Sixteen 5 times in 15 years (33% of the time? Seems awfully high for a program such as Kansas).

Roy Williams has been bounced before the Sweet 16 5 times in 15 years, and another year didn't make the tournament at all. Boeheim has made something like 4 Final Fours in 40 years as a "top coach." At some point you begin to realize that consistent deep tourney runs happen in very few places.

Roy Williams has been bounced before the Sweet 16 5 times in 15 years, and another year didn't make the tournament at all. Boeheim has made something like 4 Final Fours in 40 years as a "top coach." At some point you begin to realize that consistent deep tourney runs happen in very few places.

Roy Williams has also won 3 titles at UNC, so you have to balance it against that. Self only has the one.

Boeheim is also a very overrated coach. If it wasn't for Carmelo Anthony, he wouldn't even have a title. He's an interesting case though. The last few years he hasn't had a great team and has dealt with scandals, but he's actually made 2 Final Fours since 2013 and has already put a very average team in the Sweet Sixteen this year.

Roy Williams has also won 3 titles at UNC, so you have to balance it against that. Self only has the one.

Boeheim is also a very overrated coach. If it wasn't for Carmelo Anthony, he wouldn't even have a title. He's an interesting case though. The last few years he hasn't had a great team and has dealt with scandals, but he's actually made 2 Final Fours since 2013 and has already put a very average team in the Sweet Sixteen this year.

That has nothing to do with early exits, though. I agree that Boeheim is overrated; very strongly disagree that Self, Bennett, Miller or Cronin is. I'd take Self over Roy without thinking twice.

VN Store

Back