Colorado State to hire woman coach for mens team?

Hoosier_Vol

Vol Stuck in B1G 10 Hell
San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon is considered a top candidate to take the head coaching reins of the Colorado State men's basketball program, a source told Yahoo's Pete Thamel.

Rams coach Larry Eustachy resigned last month amid a school investigation into his conduct.

Hammon, a former WNBA star, became the first full-time female assistant coach in the NBA when the Spurs hired her in 2014. She reportedly turned down an offer to coach the Florida women's squad last year.

A woman has never been a full-time head coach of an NCAA Division I men's basketball team. Tennessee State athletic director Teresa Phillips coached one interim game in 2003.

w1280xh966_GettyImages-508015548.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
I have no doubt she'll be a great x's & o's coach but recruiting is first thing I thought of also.....Should be interesting

I agree about the recruiting aspect of it. Then CSU isn’t going to pull many/any big time players anway.

The attention that it gets could actually help a little at a place like CSU. But if it was an established basketball school, recruiting would suffer.

I'm glad that Pat only coached the Lady Vols.

Reactions: 1 person
If she can coach, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Might want to announce it before she walks in the locker room though, like sound off an air horn or something.

I agree that recruiting would be hard for an unknown woman, but she is known for breaking down barriers and comes from the Popovich coaching tree. She can put her resume against the rest of the coaches in the Mountain West and fare pretty well

I think that's a made up tale by the media and her jock sniffers. The media asked her if she'd take the men's job, not the people actually making the hiring decision.

That's definitely possible. I do remember a story about Pearl,or some UT coach, bringing her in to run practice one time and it was hell for the players. Could also be made up but cool nonetheless.

If she has extra training times like Tyler Summitt had with his players. Maybe she will recruit well to Colorado State.

Pat would have absolutely been able to win at a high level in men's college basketball. No doubt in my mind. Even if she didn't land highly touted recruits early on, I think she still would have done well, just like Barnes has at UT with 3 stars.

Pat would have absolutely been able to win at a high level in men's college basketball. No doubt in my mind. Even if she didn't land highly touted recruits early on, I think she still would have done well, just like Barnes has at UT with 3 stars.

Pat could have had me playing decent basketball. and I am an unatheltic 5-11 white guy shooting 1 of 500 from the free throw line.

Pat was a great coach and a pioneer.

She did a lot of baby seal clubbing though. And I don’t think men’s and women’s hoops is even the same sport really.

Doesn’t necessarily translate. Not to mention that she would be a women trying to coach and recruit men in an era that wouldn’t haven’t been as receptive to it.

VN Store

Back