Penny Hardaway to Memphis with Larry Brown??

Not a bad idea. Tubby has stunk it up baaaaaad.
It isn’t a bad idea at all, I know most Memphis fans would want him there, and with Larry Brown, I believe that basketball program would be in good hands. Something has gone wrong with Tubby, and I don’t know what it is exactly. I hardly keep up with Memphis basketball, but this year I’ve seen some bad scores from there and they got beat pretty bad against the worst teams in the AAC. I’ve seen something about the rant with Tubby about transfers, but that is crazy.:hi:

Total speculation, but there's a lot of talk about it down here the last couple of days. Tubby signs the 101 recruit about the same time as the talk broke out about Penny. The President of UM comes out and says they are going to wait til the end of the season to evaluate the program. That said, at the end of it all, what are you gonna choose, an old coach that can't recruit or an nba all star that has tapped into the Memphis area ball players and has lots of ties through the AAU who is also a legend in the area? Then there's this - business. Who is gonna sell more tickets, given the question above? I'm liking Penny's chances and think season ticket sales will get a huge shot in the arm if they bring him on, despite the 9.75 m buyout.

It isn’t a bad idea at all, I know most Memphis fans would want him there, and with Larry Brown, I believe that basketball program would be in good hands. Something has gone wrong with Tubby, and I don’t know what it is exactly. I hardly keep up with Memphis basketball, but this year I’ve seen some bad scores from there and they got beat pretty bad against the worst teams in the AAC. I’ve seen something about the rant with Tubby about transfers, but that is crazy.:hi:

Tubby just isn't relevant in this generation. He was never a crazy good coach or a x's & o's wizard. Just a very nice guy who had some decent years. He's not a good recruiter and obviously has struggled to attract any meaningful talent to Memphis, which is difficult considering Memphis is a solid area to recruit in.

Total speculation, but there's a lot of talk about it down here the last couple of days. Tubby signs the 101 recruit about the same time as the talk broke out about Penny. The President of UM comes out and says they are going to wait til the end of the season to evaluate the program. That said, at the end of it all, what are you gonna choose, an old coach that can't recruit or an nba all star that has tapped into the Memphis area ball players and has lots of ties through the AAU who is also a legend in the area? Then there's this - business. Who is gonna sell more tickets, given the question above? I'm liking Penny's chances and think season ticket sales will get a huge shot in the arm if they bring him on, despite the 9.75 m buyout.
So, your crowds haven’t been big? Didn’t they have a contract or something with the Grizzlies for attendance one time or another? Well! Yea, I mean that Hardaway could turn it around. Being a Tennessee basketball fan, I would love to see that rivalry start up again. I think he would turn it around.:hi:

Tubby just isn't relevant in this generation. He was never a crazy good coach or a x's & o's wizard. Just a very nice guy who had some decent years. He's not a good recruiter and obviously has struggled to attract any meaningful talent to Memphis, which is difficult considering Memphis is a solid area to recruit in.
I keep forgetting that he was in Kentucky, it seems to me that you’re right. Memphis is a hotbed for basketball players. I know I’m from northwest Tennessee and Memphis East has been to the state with Penny now for at least three to four years. I think he has won three in a row? WOW!! Talking about championships.

So, your crowds haven’t been big? Didn’t they have a contract or something with the Grizzlies for attendance one time or another? Well! Yea, I mean that Hardaway could turn it around. Being a Tennessee basketball fan, I would love to see that rivalry start up again. I think he would turn it around.:hi:

Crowds 800 or so on some nights. Don't know about a contract with the grizz, but they do play in Fedex Forum, which iis a REALLY good basketball venue. Better by far than any college venue.

I keep forgetting that he was in Kentucky, it seems to me that you’re right. Memphis is a hotbed for basketball players. I know I’m from northwest Tennessee and Memphis East has been to the state with Penny now for at least three to four years. I think he has won three in a row? WOW!! Talking about championships.

I think he has oone of the highest ranked hs teams in the country right now. His problem is he hasn't even seen the assistant position at a college hoops program. Worth a gamble IMO. BTW, I'm not a Memphis fan, but I do cheer for them when they don't play against the Vols.

I'm sure the large majority of Memphis fans likely love the idea of hiring Penny. But when hiring a HS coach to run a college program, history show's it ends up being a giant failure more times than not.

Then on top of that, Penny want's to bring in a cheater as well. Larry Brown had NCAA troubles at all 3 college programs he coached at.

"At SMU, during the 2015-16 season, Larry served a nine-game suspension for committing multiple NCAA violations, including academic fraud and unethical conduct."

"Brown had a Final Four appearance vacated at UCLA after two of his players were ruled ineligible and also committed NCAA recruiting violations at Kansas that resulted in a one-year postseason ban."

Larry Brown at Memphis would be a beautiful marriage. How does he not have a show cause ?

Fox Sports reporting it's a done deal. Little Penny will be in charge of recruiting.

1cent-tuesday-original-lil-penny-1996-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
I'm sure the large majority of Memphis fans likely love the idea of hiring Penny. But when hiring a HS coach to run a college program, history show's it ends up being a giant failure more times than not.

Then on top of that, Penny want's to bring in a cheater as well. Larry Brown had NCAA troubles at all 3 college programs he coached at.

"At SMU, during the 2015-16 season, Larry served a nine-game suspension for committing multiple NCAA violations, including academic fraud and unethical conduct."

"Brown had a Final Four appearance vacated at UCLA after two of his players were ruled ineligible and also committed NCAA recruiting violations at Kansas that resulted in a one-year postseason ban."

The place where you would most question Penny's ability to coach at the college level is X's and O's. Brown gives him a solid leg up with that. Penny will draw big names in recruiting. His high school team and AAU teams show that. The futility of the end of Pastner and the duration of Tubby kind of make a hail mary like this worth the shot.

The place where you would most question Penny's ability to coach at the college level is X's and O's. Brown gives him a solid leg up with that. Penny will draw big names in recruiting. His high school team and AAU teams show that. The futility of the end of Pastner and the duration of Tubby kind of make a hail mary like this worth the shot.

This is accurate.

Recruiting and buzz won’t be an issue for Penny, but I could see Xs and Os as a growing pain for him.

Whatever happened to his nba career? I loved the commercials.

Injuries, especially to his left knee, pretty much ruined his career. He had two microfracture surgeries on it, plus one or two others performed on the same knee. It’s a shame, he would have been a hall of famer if he could have stayed healthy.

Reactions: 1 person
Injuries, especially to his left knee, pretty much ruined his career. He had two microfracture surgeries on it, plus one or two others performed on the same knee. It’s a shame, he would have been a hall of famer if he could have stayed healthy.

Absolutely. He was a stud but sadly his knee ruined what would have been a special career. Underrated guy overall.

I’ve always wondered, thanks.

VN Store

Back