College football heads in wrong direction with largest attendance drop in 34 years

Higher ticket prices, easier to watch your team on TV every week. Not real surprising I guess....

Option A:
Load up tailgate gear Friday night
Wake up @ 6:30 Saturday morning
Get on the road by 7am, arrive in Gainesville by 8:45
Park, unload tailgate tent/gear and set up TVs
Tailgate until an hour before kickoff
Break down tailgate and walk to stadium
Sit in 90 degree temperatures on metal bleachers for 4 hours
Drive home

Option B:
Wake up @ 8:30 Saturday morning
Walk outside to patio, plop down in front of TV by 10:00
Watch Gameday, early kickoff, 3:30, 7:00 and 10:30 games
Jump in pool as needed throughout the day
Fall asleep in front of patio TV watching late 10:30 PAC-12 game

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
Dodd specifically points out a signficant drop in the SEC:

Even the most rabid league in the country saw a dip. In 2017, the SEC experienced its sharpest per-game decline -- down an average 2,433 fans -- since 1992. That figure led the Power Five in fans lost per game in 2017.

It's worth putting that into some context. 4 SEC schools sucked enough to fire their coaches, and LSU fans wish there had been a 5th. Ole Miss played a meaningless season (even more meaningless than usual). Vanderbilt took a huge step backward. Missouri didn't bother to show up until halfway thru the season. The attendance rankings in the conference tie pretty nicely to the quality of play:

1. UGA - 100%
2. Bama - 99.9%
3. Auburn - 98.8%
4. South Carolina - 97.9%
Florida - 97.9%
6. LSU - 96.3%
7. A&M - 96.2%
8. MSU - 94.7%
9. UT - 93.5%
10. Kentucky - 92.6%
11. Ole Miss - 91.6%
12. Arkansas - 77.8%
13. Vandy - 77.3%
14. Mizzou - 72.4%

Three things:

1. Ticket prices are outlandish. As LW pointed out, it's far easier to stay at home and watch with friends.

2. Concession prices are insanely stupid. Sorry, you greedy bastard, but a damn hot dog and bun does not cost you freaking $5 to produce and sell. Much easier (and far cheaper) to eat at home with friends and enjoy the game that way.

3. All of the above. Much easier, cheaper and convenient to sit at home as mentioned and watch the game from there.

The only reason people still go is for the experience and atmosphere. Otherwise, ticket prices will continue to go up to pay for renovations to clubs and suites that normal ticket holders will never use and concessions will continue to go up so long as people buy their ****.

Reactions: 1 person
2. Concession prices are insanely stupid. Sorry, you greedy bastard, but a damn hot dog and bun does not cost you freaking $5 to produce and sell. Much easier (and far cheaper) to eat at home with friends and enjoy the game that way.

This may be turning around. Arthur Blank decided to go with fan-friendly concession prices at MBS, and it's amazing. Apparently the Jaguars will be doing the same next season.

This may be turning around. Arthur Blank decided to go with fan-friendly concession prices at MBS, and it's amazing. Apparently the Jaguars will be doing the same next season.

Define "fan friendly" prices, please.

Define "fan friendly" prices, please.

$4 for a souvenir cup, and then you refill it yourself from soda fountains placed liberally throughout the concourse.

$2 hot dog.

$5 beer.

$10 gets you a really good french dip sandwich, fries, and a drink from one of the bars.

Reactions: 2 people

$4 for a souvenir cup, and then you refill it yourself from soda fountains placed liberally throughout the concourse.

$2 hot dog.

$5 beer.

$10 gets you a really good french dip sandwich, fries, and a drink from one of the bars.

Thanks for the replies, guys, but still doesn't change the fact we are talking about contracted groups at the collegiate level that will charge their pound of flesh. NFL venues that just happen to host a CFB game are different.

Until a university or universities put their foot down (good luck) and make concessions groups drop their prices, it won't change.

I don't want to get too distracted from the OP, but my thoughts are people are dropping from the games because of rising prices across the board.

Thanks for the replies, guys, but still doesn't change the fact we are talking about contracted groups at the collegiate level that will charge their pound of flesh. NFL venues that just happen to host a CFB game are different.

Until a university or universities put their foot down (good luck) and make concessions groups drop their prices, it won't change.

I don't want to get too distracted from the OP, but my thoughts are people are dropping from the games because of rising prices across the board.

Yeah but I think that was partly bamawriter's point, that if NFL owners start doing it, it might create a domino effect.

While this certainly isn't a trend at the college level, it is only a recent thing within the NFL. Now that it's been done at the highest level, and has been shown to drive revenue, it could certainly become more prevalent everywhere.

While this certainly isn't a trend at the college level, it is only a recent thing within the NFL. Now that it's been done at the highest level, and has been shown to drive revenue, it could certainly become more prevalent everywhere.

I'd say it's one of the few things that can help stem the down flow of attendance figures in CFB. As one of my clients said "people come here for the experience and atmosphere they can't get in their living room. We compete against the 70 inch flatscreen."

To which I agree wholeheartedly, but if concessions contractors and ticket offices continue to price things out of people's limits, they will lose in the long run.

The conference affiliated TV networks are doing their part to keep attendance down with the bloated inventory of televised games.

I'd say it's one of the few things that can help stem the down flow of attendance figures in CFB. As one of my clients said "people come here for the experience and atmosphere they can't get in their living room. We compete against the 70 inch flatscreen."

To which I agree wholeheartedly, but if concessions contractors and ticket offices continue to price things out of people's limits, they will lose in the long run.

I'm down to going to 1 or 2 games a year now. Too crowded and too expensive. Concessions at Neyland are pretty bad and the bathrooms are terrible.

The schools make enough money as it is through TV contracts, Nike, and other merchandise. If you want to increase attendance go the Arthur Blank rout, where concessions are not intimidating for a family of 4 or 5 to attend. Hollywood should look into a similar thought. It shouldn't cost me nearly $60 to go to a movie, purchase a large drink, popcorn and candy for that amount of money.

Option A:
Load up tailgate gear Friday night
Wake up @ 6:30 Saturday morning
Get on the road by 7am, arrive in Gainesville by 8:45
Park, unload tailgate tent/gear and set up TVs
Tailgate until an hour before kickoff
Break down tailgate and walk to stadium
Sit in 90 degree temperatures on metal bleachers for 4 hours
Drive home

Option B:
Wake up @ 8:30 Saturday morning
Walk outside to patio, plop down in front of TV by 10:00