UGA expectations 2018

utchs81

With the loss of a large number of key players from this years team, I expect there to be a drop off for next year. I realize they have a strong class coming in but this is power 5 football and freshmen generally can't be expected to fill those large shoes immediately. Drop off certainly won't be of the epic proportions of the Vols latest season but they will have some competition for the east. IMO

Reactions: 1 person
Expectations will be to win the east again and compete for the SEC and hopefully playoff. Anything less means you aren't building a championship program.

Georgia will miss Chubb, but will still be good. As for UT- I'm sort of liking playing the role of underdog and hopefully getting an upset. After an 8 loss season, nobody is picking Tenn. to contend (me included). A 2018 win over at least one of our top 4 games (Aub,Bama,UGA,UF) would be nice. Anything after that is gravy! We go to Athens, so that compounded the situation with GA. GBO.

Chubb and Michel will be tough to replace but I do like what I saw from Herrien and Swift and I am hearing Cook is going to be a beast so I do not expect their TB to drop off much at all. I am not sure how the line is going to hold up and how many are leaving from their defense. Replacing their secondary may actually benefit the team because that secondary sucked in the championship game. I think considering how weak the East will still be next season they should have a pretty easy go of it for Atlanta.

They're offense as a whole could potentially be even better. It's hard to imagine them not being hurt on defense though. So the question becomes is the former going to be sufficient to offset the latter and how well that monster recruiting class translates to the field.

My thinking is that Smart came into a situation which was loaded. Next year not as solid especially on the defensive side. Not saying in two years they won't be on juggernaut course but all depends on the intangibles.

Good comments written above. I will add some of the things I got from a good friend of mine who is a Georgia guy. He’s a real straight shooter.

I asked him point blank for Georgia fans’ expectations and a breakdown.

Expectation is to definitely win the East and challenge for the SEC Title again.

Fromm is a leader, knows and executes the playbook and should be even better in 2018.

Expect Chaney to design packages for Fields to come into the game. Particularly in the red zone.

Need WRs to become more of a weapon. Expect Hardman, Godwin, and Ridley to produce.

No question, losing Chubb and Michel is more than significant, it’s huge.

Swift is explosive and his role will increase. Holyfield, Herrien, and Cook will all be expected to regularly produce.

Zamir White is expected to be ready, don’t buy it.

Defense loses some big time players. Expecting guys that were in the rotation in 2017 to embrace the increased playing time and produce. Counting on 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes to shine in spots. (Still, you have to believe, this unit slips a bit!)

DBs were average to just above average. This unit has to improve in 2018.

My thoughts: I obviously don’t see us beating Georgia in 2018, but another beatdown will be very concerning. If Pruitt can just keep us “respectable” in every game, we’re back on track!!!

Last edited:
Georgia will miss Chubb, but will still be good. As for UT- I'm sort of liking playing the role of underdog and hopefully getting an upset. After an 8 loss season, nobody is picking Tenn. to contend (me included). A 2018 win over at least one of our top 4 games (Aub,Bama,UGA,UF) would be nice. Anything after that is gravy! We go to Athens, so that compounded the situation with GA. GBO.

Chubb and Michel will both be missed. They were very good at making something out of nothing and getting extra yardage. It wasn’t simply just a dominant line where you can plug any back into it

Good comments written above. I will add some of the things I got from a good friend of mine who is a Georgia guy. He’s a real straight shooter.

I asked him point blank for Georgia fans’ expectations and a breakdown.

Expectation is to definitely win the East and challenge for the SEC Title again.

Fromm is a leader, knows and executes the playbook and should be even better in 2018.

Expect Chaney to design packages for Fields to come into the game. Particularly in the red zone.

Need WRs to become more of a weapon. Expect Hardman, Godwin, and Ridley to produce.

No question, losing Chubb and Michel is more than significant, it’s huge.

Swift is explosive and his role will increase. Holyfield, Herrien, and Cook will all be expected to regularly produce.

Zamir White is expected to be ready, don’t buy it.

Defense loses some big time players. Expecting guys that were in the rotation in 2017 to embrace the increased playing time and produce. Counting on 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes to shine in spots. (Still, you have to believe, this unit slips a bit!)

DBs were average to just above average. This unit has to improve in 2018.

My thoughts: I obviously don’t see us beating Georgia in 2018, but another beatdown will be very concerning. If Pruitt can just keep us “respectable” in every game, we’re back on track!!!

Whoever your friend is is pretty spot on .. Zamir is ahead of schedule and "allegedly" the tear wasn't a full tear. Makes a huge difference. The defensive backfield may be an addition by subtraction thing with better athletes replacing guys like Parrish and Sanders. The LBs will be the biggest question on the team in the middle. Think the OLBs will be fine with Walker being a better pass rusher than both Carter and Bellamy (although I really liked Carter).

Too much was made about the AMOUNT of players UGA loses this year but the fact is, of the "31" just over half were scholarship players. That means about 14 never saw the field.

UGA fan here... regarding expectations, it is to win the east and contend for the SEC title. If they somehow win the SEC,then they should be in the CFP.

Losing Chubb and Michel hurts, but already have 3 experienced backs on campus and the #1 and #3 RBs for the class of 2018. The number 1 back has been said that he’s the best back to come out of high school in the last 2-3 years, but he tore his ACL about 2-3 months ago. All signs show he should be back for the 2018 season, possibly not the beginning though.

On the o-line we lose our LT. Our freshman RT from this year will rotate over to LT, and probably a 5 star RT who redshirted this year will start there.

Also lose our leading receiver, but it appears Ridley showed in the NC he may be ready to step into that role.

On defense; lose a veteran nose tackle, 3 of 4 starting linebackers. The 4th linebacker, who was out of the CFP getting drug treatment, should be back. Barring another screw up. Have another proven linebacker that should be able to step in well. 1 OLB and 1 ILB will probably be young, but have high ceilings. Just depends if they put it together next year.

Secondary; our best CB decided not to enter the draft and stay, this could be huge. Also, have our best safety back, but lose several other DBs. The guys replacing them will be young, but should be much better over time. Just depends on how long it takes.

I’d be happy with the SEC east and be competitive against probably Bama in the SECCG. Anything more would be gravy, as this should be the “worst” UGA team in the next 3 or so years.

If they win in Columbia September 8th they should get to Atlanta.

That’s a big game in shaping the East next year imo

If they win in Columbia September 8th they should get to Atlanta.

That’s a big game in shaping the East next year imo

Saw where a SCAR site said they would finish 11-1 only losing to Clumpson .. even most of their fans couldn't defend it.

Georgia will easily win the East again. Losing Chubb and Michel will be tough. Swift is good but I dont think he is on their level. Scary thing is, Fields could be the better QB and win the starting job.

VN Store

Back