RIP Keith Jackson

When I was growing up you only got college football on ABC that meant Mr. Jackson at “massive Neyland stadium “. “What better way to spend an Autumn afternoon “.

“Tee Martin has been put on the ground eleven times tonight, of course that’s not as many as usual when you’re playing Florida State, that pass is going down the sideline, it’s caught! Peerless Price! it’s touchdown! there are no flags.”

Reactions: 2 people
Damn, that’s John Saunders, Dick Enberg and Keith Jackson all within a pretty short period of time. Three legends.

in one sentence he literally painted a picture of the play, gave us penalty update, i bet he gave a score too.

it takes Bob an entire game to get that far.

“Tee Martin has been put on the ground eleven times tonight, of course that’s not as many as usual when you’re playing Florida State, that pass is going down the sideline, it’s caught! Peerless Price! it’s touchdown! there are no flags.”

That was supposed to be his last game. ABC made a big deal of it that night. Bob Griese poured a bucket of confetti over his head during the telecast. He ended up calling games for another 7 seasons though.

R.I.P.

Along with Ron Franklin of ESPN, one of the all time great college football play by play men.

In many contexts, “legendary” is an overused descriptor. Keith Jackson, however, was that and much more. My favorite memory of him will always be the 1986 Sugar Bowl. At its outset, Jackson and, particularly, Frank Broyles essentially stated that the lowly Tennessee Volunteers should feel privileged to occupy the same field as the mighty Miami Hurricanes. As we proceeded to slaughter the nation’s 2nd-ranked team, their utter astonishment rose to a crescendo until Chris White put the finishing touches on the evening’s festivities with “another [Miami] turnover, setting up another Tennessee touchdown.”

Keith Jackson. You’ll always be remembered. You and Howard Coselle will always be remembered, as great voices and football announcers of all time. Very saddened by the news. 😢

Somewhere up there, there is a great game going on, and Keith Jackson is about to send it to John Saunders for the halftime updates

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back