Which big name program will be back first?

HooahVol

Looking around the site at the debates on where Michigan is at combined with my recent post on the Under Armour game showing Herman is struggling at Texas to keep talent I started thinking, which one of the big name programs is best positioned to be back? Here is a list of schools that are traditionally strong who have been down for awhile:

Our Vols (of course)
Michigan
Florida
LSU
Texas
Nebraska
Maybe Oregon (I struggle a little putting them up with the teams above who have won multiple national championships)
I would also add USC I think. I know they were OK this year but USC used to be the best. Since Carroll left they have not really been nationally relevant.

My two cents, BTW, is of that list our Vols are a good 3-4 years away just based on all the recruits and NFL defections we have lost in this coaching transition. Michigan is done, the talent is leaving the state. Nebraska is done too. Looking at the talent around them they never had any right to be as good as they used to be.

That leaves Florida, LSU, USC and Texas. Those schools have no right to be so bad. They are sitting in recruiting Valhalla. Texas especially with all those cash reserves boggles the mind. How have they been so bad for so long?

So that leaves me to the original premise on this thread and as much as I hate to say it I think Florida is positioned under Mullen to return to national relevance. I hope I am wrong but they can walk down the street and pick up 5 stars all day. Mullen is probably camping at IMG academy.

LSU, Michigan and USC are nationally relevant still imo. So not even going to discuss them. Out of the others, I’m going with Nebraska. Frost is legit. Period. 2 years and that thing will get going. Next, hopefully it’s our Vols. Games against UF could be crucial in deciding which program gets back to the top.

Last edited:
Looking around the site at the debates on where Michigan is at combined with my recent post on the Under Armour game showing Herman is struggling at Texas to keep talent I started thinking, which one of the big name programs is best positioned to be back? Here is a list of schools that are traditionally strong who have been down for awhile:

Our Vols (of course)
Michigan
Florida
LSU
Texas
Nebraska
Maybe Oregon (I struggle a little putting them up with the teams above who have won multiple national championships)
I would also add USC I think. I know they were OK this year but USC used to be the best. Since Carroll left they have not really been nationally relevant.

I would consider adding UCLA to that list as well. They are historically a good program which Chip Kelly could turn around quickly.

LSU, Michigan and USC are nationally relevant still imo. So not even going to discuss them. Out of the others, I’m going with Nebraska. First is legit. Period. 2 years and that thing will get going. Next, hopefully it’s our Vols. Games against UF could be crucial in deciding which program gets back to the top.

Agree. If one program can win the next two in the UT UF series I'd be willing to bet that program will be the one that emerges and keeps their coach for more than 4 years

Agree. If one program can win the next two in the UT UF series I'd be willing to bet that program will be the one that emerges and keeps their coach for more than 4 years

But that doesn't guarantee relevance, IMO.

UF won the SEC E twice with McElwain. That didn't mean their teams were any good.

Texas and UCLA.

Michigan and UF have 10-win max type coaches.

Oregon, UT, and Nebraska are rolling the dice.

Don't think USC has enough coaching firepower to do much long-term.

LSU has absolutely no hope for a future. With Coach O, they will always lose to a couple of Troy type teams.

I love Frost and definitely think he proved with UCF that he plays big boy football but I still think Nebraska is so far removed from the major recruiting areas that it will be almost impossible for them to win now. Especially now that they are in the Big 10. I think in the Big 12 they were seen a lot by Texas kids who they could recruit.

I think Texas is back on the right track with Herman. I think Florida will be very good with Mullen and I honestly think that we have a lot of talent and Pruitt is putting together a great staff. I think it’s possible that the SEC East starts to look like the 90s again.

UCLA is an easy choice imo Kelly dominated that conference

I think they they have a decent chance winning the pac 12 next year and being in playoffs within 2 years 3 max

I think Texas is back on the right track with Herman. I think Florida will be very good with Mullen and I honestly think that we have a lot of talent and Pruitt is putting together a great staff. I think it’s possible that the SEC East starts to look like the 90s again.

Hopefully both UF and UT new hires workout

I’d say we’re due for a little good luck

But that doesn't guarantee relevance, IMO.

UF won the SEC E twice with McElwain. That didn't mean their teams were any good.

I mainly mean that I think either Pruitt or Mullen will become a success at their new school and challenge for the SECC. I don't know which one it will be, but string the first two wins in that series together and then all the sudden you are telling recruits that you are very relevant in your division and can win something big.

Texas and UCLA.

Michigan and UF have 10-win max type coaches.

Oregon, UT, and Nebraska are rolling the dice.

Don't think USC has enough coaching firepower to do much long-term.

LSU has absolutely no hope for a future. With Coach O, they will always lose to a couple of Troy type teams.

Kind of hard to be a 10 win max coach when he has already won more than 10 in his last year at Stanford before going to the NFL

Reactions: 1 person
Kind of hard to be a 10 win max coach when he has already won more than 10 in his last year at Stanford before going to the NFL

Ok, one 10+ season for Harbaugh a long time ago.

Mullen might have a little more upside.

Don't see either of those two meeting the lofty expectations of their fan bases. But, they both better than Coach O.

Texas has a good recruiting class right now. they’ve got some good players. They just need to find a quarterback that’s what has been killing them

UCLA is an easy choice imo Kelly dominated that conference

I think they they have a decent chance winning the pac 12 next year and being in playoffs within 2 years 3 max

I don't think UCLA qualifies as a big time program. Not yet

Our Vols (of course)
Michigan
Florida
LSU
Texas
Nebraska

Notre Dame is another struggling program.

Baylor?

Penn State us the best example of a resurrected program. I still can't figure out how that happened.

VN Store

Back