Sal Sunseri to Florida

Why? He's a very good position coach. His scheme just didn't work out at UT as a DC.

I wasn’t a big fan of his scheme.

Our players always seemed out of position.

He may be a better fit at UF, who knows.

But I don’t see any proof that he’ll succeed.

Reactions: 1 person
Why? He's a very good position coach. His scheme just didn't work out at UT as a DC.

Exactly. The guy has spent 11 out of the previous 15 years as a position coach in the nfl. You don’t hang around the nfl for that long if you can’t coach.

This is only good news for UT if the UF DC leaves and Sunseri is promoted.

Any proof he’ll succeed? He’s succeeded at every stop he’s been at as a position coach, including national championship and NFL teams.

Any proof he’ll succeed? He’s succeeded at every stop he’s been at as a position coach, including national championship and NFL teams.

Define success? Did Sal Sunseri play a pivotal role in Bama’s success or FSU’s? He has been a linebackers coach at every stop and was not rehired at Bama after he left while spending one year stops at FSU and UT nor was he approached by Jimbo Fisher about a job.

Define success? Did Sal Sunseri play a pivotal role in Bama’s success or FSU’s? He has been a linebackers coach at every stop and was not rehired at Bama after he left while spending one year stops at FSU and UT nor was he approached by Jimbo Fisher about a job.

He hasn’t been a linebacker coach at every stop. He was dline coach with the panthers for seven years and was the defensive ends coach for two seasons at Florida State.

He hasn’t been a linebacker coach at every stop. He was dline coach with the panthers for seven years and was the defensive ends coach for two seasons at Florida State.

Again, define success? Derek Dooley has been in the NFL for 7 seasons and a head coach for 7 seasons with 1 NC as an assistant , would he be considered a great coach?

Well the Panthers had one of the best defensive lines in the sport for most of his tenure. So I’d say he deserves some credit for that. Saban has hired him twice, so he must think he’s somewhat of a good coach.

Not crazy about Sunseri but I think he must be alright DL coach having coached at Bama, FSU, and in the NFL

Also a good choice to help get our guys situated with the move to 3-4

Love the Greg Knox hire tho he was a damn good recruiter for MSU and has tons of experience in SEC

It’s already a MUCH better staff then McElwaine ever had that’s for damn sure

Still got 2 spots left I think 3 if you include 10th assistant

Last edited:
Again, define success? Derek Dooley has been in the NFL for 7 seasons and a head coach for 7 seasons with 1 NC as an assistant , would he be considered a great coach?

Has had good position groups at every stop and keeps getting hired by either top tier college programs or NFL teams to continue said position coaching.

What else are you looking for in a position coach?

At bama he did an undeniably good job won recruiter of the year I believe and you don’t become assistant head coach without Saban liking what you’re doing

Also was at FSU for 2 years(13 and 14) before heading to nfl

Last edited:
Not crazy about Sunseri but I think he must be alright DL coach having coached at Bama, FSU, and in the NFL

Also a good choice to help get our guys situated with the move to 3-4

Love the Greg Knox hire tho he was a damn good recruiter for MSU and has tons of experience in SEC

It’s already a MUCH better staff then McElwaine ever had that’s for damn sure

Still got 2 spots left I think 3 if you include 10th assistant

yeah.....he has a great track record of helping a team switch to the 3-4.....

yeah.....he has a great track record of helping a team switch to the 3-4.....

Well Todd Grantham is the coordinator and he’s had top 20-30 defenses at MSU and Louisville last few years

You guys made Sunseri a coordinator for the first time in his career I believe lol not exactly the same situation

Well Todd Grantham is the coordinator and he’s had top 20-30 defenses at MSU and Louisville last few years

You guys made Sunseri a coordinator for the first time in his career I believe lol not exactly the same situation

We did the same with Larry Scott -- Dooley and Jones sure can pick them

Look at his resume as a position coach.

He's not being hired as the DC!

UF could hire farmer Fran and we would find a way to lose. I know some Vol fans will assume because he failed here, its good that UF hired him. I get the feeling the opposite will be true. Florida isnt Tennessee.

Reactions: 2 people
I know not the D coordinator but does that mean if we can get a decent line we can gash them like water through a funnel? That’s the way it was for other teams when he was at UT?

VN Store

Back