Most Overrated coach?

HooahVol

Cris Carter rips 'most overrated coach' Jim Harbaugh after Michigan's loss

Pro Football Hall of Famer, Ohio State legend and current Fox Sports commentator Cris Carter harshly criticized Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh over Twitter following the Wolverines' 26-19 Outback Bowl loss to South Carolina -- the coach's second consecutive loss in a New Year's Day bowl game.

Following a game that saw Michigan struggle on offense, Carter called Harbaugh "the most overrated coach in football," and said he offered "no creativity after a month of practice."

He also went on to tweet that the "Big Ten thanks (Harbaugh) for ruining the 7-0 record in bowl games."

Harbaugh was asked by reporters following Monday's loss if it was his last game at Michigan, and he firmly answered, "No."

Carter then responded to a tweet that noted Harbaugh would be off the wish list for NFL coaching vacancies. He tweeted: "Great news to start 2018 #Buckeyenation."

Carter, an All-American with the Buckeyes in 1986, was voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2013.

criscarter80

Harbaugh is the most overrated coach in football. No creativity after a month of practice.
12:26 PM - 1 Jan 2018

criscarter80

Big Ten thanks him for ruining the 7-0 record in bowl games
12:47 PM - 1 Jan 2018

NCAA FB News, Scores, Schedule, Standings, Stats, Photos, Videos - Football - MSN Sports ... spartandhp

I have to say I agree. What has Harbaugh done at Michigan? He almost beat Ohio State once. That is about it. He is coming up on his 4th year which means he hand picked the players and if he fails in 2018 I bet his seat gets hot.

At the very least it proves just spending a ton of money on a "name" does not guarantee success.

Harbaugh needs to start producing. But he accomplished quite a bit at Stanford and in the NFL.

I don't know how Kirk Ferentz isn't at the top of the overrated list.

Reactions: 4 people
What he did at Stanford was special, and should earn him a nice little buffer at Michigan.

This year was a major disappointment, but next year he’ll have a QB for the first time up there.

Harbaugh needs to start producing. But he accomplished quite a bit at Stanford and in the NFL.

If there's a trophy for this list, it should be named after Kirk Ferentz.

Reactions: 3 people

Good point about Ferentz. He is just cashing checks at this point.

This year was a major disappointment, but next year he’ll have a QB for the first time up there.

Was it really a disappointment? I mean they only returned 5 starters from last years team. Yes on the face of it, going 8-4 seems bad, but when all four of those losses are to teams who are going to finish in the top 10-12, it’s not as bad as it seems. Now if they don’t compete for a playoff spot next year, then he deserves a ton of criticism. However given the fact that they return 37 players off their two-deep, I think they’ll be just fine.

Reactions: 1 person
Was it really a disappointment? I mean they only returned 5 starters from last years team. Yes on the face of it, going 8-4 seems bad, but when all four of those losses are to teams who are going to finish in the top 10-12, it’s not as bad as it seems. Now if they don’t compete for a playoff spot next year, then he deserves a ton of criticism. However given the fact that they return 37 players off their two-deep, I think they’ll be just fine.

Sure it was. The guys he recruited for his 2014 class are juniors now and should be ready to go.

His seat is kind of warm right now, and if he doesn't beat Ohio St next year I bet his seat gets really hot.

I still can't call him "most overrated" because of what he did at Stanford and San Francisco. Most overrated probably goes to Ferentz as others have mentioned. He's been at Iowa 19 years and finished as a ranked team 6 times. Expectations aren't high there, and he's still probably living off of that 2002 - 2004 era when he finished #8 in the country for 3 straight seasons. Making the Big 10 title game and Rose Bowl a few years ago doesn't hurt either.

When Georgia beat out Mushygan for Isaiah Wilson you should have read their boards. They acted like they should be entitled to a 5-star OL kid as if they had won 3 of the last 5 Natty's or something. Fact is, Harbaugh has had a lot of talent commit to them and he has done nothing with it.

Sure it was. The guys he recruited for his 2014 class are juniors now and should be ready to go.

They only signed like 13 position players his first class because they only had 15 available scholarships to give out. The scholarship distribution was in a weird spot when he took over, that’s why they lost so many guys from last years team and return so many on next year’s team. Their success next year will come down to the production they get from the quarterback. That’s the one area where he deserves some criticism. In year four, you shouldn’t be relying on a waiver for a transfer.

I'd add Gus Malzahn. He just signed new seven-year $49-million contract...and promptly lost the last two games.

Reactions: 2 people

SC will finish in the top 10-12? Who exactly did they beat outside of a bad UF team and Purdue?

SC will finish in the top 10-12? Who exactly did they beat outside of a bad UF team and Purdue?

I was talking about their regular season record. All four of those teams will finish in the top 10-12. They didn’t have any impressive wins, but that wasn’t the point of the post.

I was talking about their regular season record. All four of those teams will finish in the top 10-12. They didn’t have any impressive wins, but that wasn’t the point of the post.

If you don’t have an impressive win and a less than impressive loss, isn’t that clear proof of having a bad season?

I'd add Gus Malzahn. He just signed new seven-year $49-million contract...and promptly lost the last two games.

He certainly isn't overrated from the perspective of his own fans or SEC people. Auburn fans have been really ambivalent about him ever since his first season.

When they play well, they can win national titles. When they play poorly, they play like a team that has to grind to make a bowl game. His teams just aren't very consistent. He's also 100% dependent upon having a dynamic, game breaking QB in order to have a great season. Sure, it helps, but the two teams in the CFP final this year don't have dynamic QBs.

His worst loss this year, but not the loss people are really going to remember, was LSU. It ultimately ended up not mattering (since they beat Georgia and Alabama) but it was a classic Gus loss that highlighted their inconsistency.

If you don’t have an impressive win and a less than impressive loss, isn’t that clear proof of having a bad season?

Where did I say they didn’t have a bad season? I’m just surprised that people thought they should be good this season. When you lose 17 starters and have average to below average quarterbacks on your roster, you’re probably not going to fair very well.

Where did I say they didn’t have a bad season? I’m just surprised that people thought they should be good this season. When you lose 17 starters and have average to below average quarterbacks on your roster, you’re probably not going to fair very well.

Harbaugh can't control how many starters he loses, but the fact he had no good QBs on his roster is Harbaugh's fault.

I think he needs to beat Ohio St next year in order to avoid a screaming hot seat. If he loses to Ohio St, that better be his only loss.

If anything, Harbaugh is underrated at this point.

The media is making him out like he's Derek Dooley because he's had one disappointing season. Michigan is a much tougher job that people realize; especially compared to Ohio State and Penn State, which have vastly better in-state recruiting. I find it odd that the media acts like Tennessee is a terrible job (in spite of being near some of the best recruiting grounds in the nation), while Michigan is a great one (in spite of having terrible state / regional recruiting). Tennessee's problem has been poor coaches, bad ADs, and Haslam. Get a great coach in at Tennessee (and I hope we have one now) and the sleeping giant awakens. Michigan is now on its 3rd consecutive coach who looked great at previous stops, but suddenly looks much less great at Michgan. Perhaps the problem is that Michigan isn't what it used to be and it's actually difficult to recruit at a high level there, because you have to fly to Florida and Texas to recruit.

So guess I'm a bit of a contrarian here. I think Michigan is the most overrated job in the country right now. Simlar to Notre Dame, it has Top 10 expectations, but it's probably not even "Top 30" in local / regional recruiting prospects. Harbaugh is 28-11 there, which IMO, is exceeding expectations, albeit this season was a big disappointment. Still, if you judge all coaches by their worst seasons, even Nick Saban looks like a bum.

VN Store

Back