SEC superiority is dead

99gator

Congressman
I know you shouldn't make sweeping judgments regarding bowl games.

I know I am setting up a reverse jinx that will see Alabama and Georgia win tonight.

Now that's out of the way, this idea of the SEC being the best conference in America....at this point in time....is laughable.

Someone tell me which SEC team they've seen play good football so far this bowl season.

I'd like to know which team(s) have done so.

Reactions: 2 people
I wonder how much of it has to do with the 25 scholarship limit the SEC put in place a few years ago? The Hugh Freeze rule

I've always thought bowl games were an awful measuring stick. Between the long layoff, the different motivations etc, you just never know who is going to show up.

Reactions: 5 people
LSU is on the move, but as I type this, the SEC has yet to score a TD today

That's not the issue this year. I don't think a single sec bowl team has a new head coach.

Edit: Texas Tech

Not to mention that the law of averages suggests that one of these teams should look like they don't suck.

The sad thing is that we couldn't go bowling playing these teams.

I'll just say this. I'm seeing a lot of evidence that "talent" is not the problem

Auburn down 7 at the half against UCF.

IF we played them in the Swamp, we'd be begging them to not run up the score at some point midway in the 2nd quarter.

It hasn't been strong because now everyone recruits in the SEC footprint...You're seeing Big10, AAC, ACC, Big 12 all over the south....to me a part of what opened it up was when conferences started expanding and now families of kids in the south can watch their kids on tv without having to travel. A coworker who is a Bama fan told me that the SEC wasn't very good this year and you're seeing it this bowl season

It hasn't been strong because now everyone recruits in the SEC footprint...You're seeing Big10, AAC, ACC, Big 12 all over the south....to me a part of what opened it up was when conferences started expanding and now families of kids in the south can watch their kids on tv without having to travel. A coworker who is a Bama fan told me that the SEC wasn't very good this year and you're seeing it this bowl season

Lawrence Wright nailed it, IMO.

It's all coaching. All of it.

We get in these pissing contests over whether or not we're losing because we have the 16th ranked class or the 13th ranked class or whatever the case may be.

And there are teams throughout the country....like Wisconsin....that show you it's possible to play good football without a ridiculous talent level.

"Playmakers" are the difference between Wisconsin and Alabama. They aren't the difference between a good football team and a bad football team.

JMO

Reactions: 2 people
Lawrence Wright nailed it, IMO.

It's all coaching. All of it.

We get in these pissing contests over whether or not we're losing because we have the 16th ranked class or the 13th ranked class or whatever the case may be.

And there are teams throughout the country....like Wisconsin....that show you it's possible to play good football without a ridiculous talent level.

"Playmakers" are the difference between Wisconsin and Alabama. They aren't the difference between a good football team and a bad football team.

JMO

A lot of the best coaches in the nation are spread guys. Hopefully the sec will wake up soon

VN Store

Back