Heisman-Who-Ya-Got?

Knox-a-rue

Never Forget the Hobnail Boot Game!
First: I just want to say that I'm still mad Peyton got snubbed and I still refer to the Heisman as the yearly award given to the second best college football player.

Second: I think previous Heisman winners should be ineligible. Are there any 2-time Heisman winners?

Third: Baker Mayfield.

Remember how he planted that flag at tOSU. I viewed that with a general indifferent amusement at the time. But then I started thinking about what if he had done that in Neyland. I would not like that. Because he did that I hope he loses, but I still think he will win.

I dont know if anyone else wants to weigh in here. Make a case for Jackson or Love or if you think someone was cheated out of being a finalist (Barkley?)

Didnt there used to be four finalists? Weren't Manning, Woodson, Moss and Leif all together that night in NY or wherever...

I'm sure plenty of UT fans would love to have seen Dobbs or whoever plant a flag if UT won a big game against someone like UF or Bama. Yes it's disrespectful, but at the end of the day it's young kids playing a tough game. There are bigger things to criticize.

I actually think Lamar deserves it again. Clearly one of the most important players in the country for his team. He put up better stats this year iirc and showed some development. That being said, Baker had/has the better team and put up an insane season himself. I can't say Baker getting it would be a bad choice at all.

Reactions: 1 person
First: I just want to say that I'm still mad Peyton got snubbed and I still refer to the Heisman as the yearly award given to the second best college football player.

Second: I think previous Heisman winners should be ineligible. Are there any 2-time Heisman winners?

Third: Baker Mayfield.

Remember how he planted that flag at tOSU. I viewed that with a general indifferent amusement at the time. But then I started thinking about what if he had done that in Neyland. I would not like that. Because he did that I hope he loses, but I still think he will win.

I dont know if anyone else wants to weigh in here. Make a case for Jackson or Love or if you think someone was cheated out of being a finalist (Barkley?)

Didnt there used to be four finalists? Weren't Manning, Woodson, Moss and Leif all together that night in NY or wherever...

Google Archie Griffin.

And the winner is...Johnny Football Jr.

That makes 3 of the last 7 winners that played HS football within 90 miles of Austin and yet Texas didn't offer any of them (as a QB) a scholly.

Ironically, if Mayfield had remained at Tech nobody would even no his name...couldn't beat out Pat Mahomes or Davis Webb. Heck, Mayfield couldn't beat out Webb at Lake Travis HS either.

Add Webb to that list of QBs that Texas didn't offer.

Last edited:
L Jackson is the best college football player again this year. If he played for Oklahoma , he would have won in a landslide.
Archie Griffin won 2 IN A ROW for Ohio st. In the 70s. I remember it well.

Anybody remember John Cappelletti ? I watched him play. Yeah I'm old.
Remember him very well from my youth. The kids that lived across the street from me in Waco were of Italian decent and were born in Boston. We used to tease them that Penn State was one of those cute little northeastern teams that wanted to play football.

Y'all remember Ed Marinaro?

Ed Marinaro (born March 31, 1950) is a former American Football player and actor. In 1971, he finished as a runner up to Pat Sullivan for the Heisman Trophy, and from 2010–2011 starred in the football comedy series, Blue Mountain State. He is best known as a regular cast member on Hill Street Blues, playing Officer Joe Coffey for five seasons, 1981–1986.

I was secretly pulling for him to win the stiff arm.

Remember him very well from my youth. The kids that lived across the street from me in Waco were of Italian decent and were born in Boston. We used to tease them that Penn State was one of those cute little northeastern teams that wanted to play football.

Y'all remember Ed Marinaro?

I was secretly pulling for him to win the stiff arm.

Italian kids from Boston who moved to Waco, Texas? Damn.That had to be a rough existence at school everyday.

Italian kids from Boston who moved to Waco, Texas? Damn.That had to be a rough existence at school everyday.
Not really.
Waco has always been a rough town. There's a reason it was called "six shooter juction" and TCU (Addison-Randolph College) tucked tail and ran off to Ft Worth...guess they didn't like their campus, on Herring Ave, burning to the ground.

As for the Messina family ending up in Waco...well...I'll offer this:

Don_Michael_Corleone.jpg

The oldest boy...Teddy Jr...was the only family member that remained in Waco after Teddy Sr ended up missing. Ironically, the other kids (Gloria, Rebecca, Thomas, Vincent and Veronica) attened Add-Ran College in Ft Worth where they all earned their law degrees.

Teddy Sr and Jr were both "butchers" by trade. Jimmy Hoffa ain't buried in the end zone of The Meadoewlands...ruff ruff.

Last edited:
Waco has always been a rough town. There's a reason it was called "six shooter juction" and TCU (Addison-Randolph College) tucked tail and ran off to Ft Worth...guess they didn't like their campus, on Herring Ave, burning to the ground.

As for the Messina family ending up in Waco...well...I'll offer this:

The oldest boy...Teddy Jr...was the only family member that remained in Waco after Teddy Sr ended up missing. Ironically, the other kids (Gloria, Rebecca, Thomas, Vincent and Veronica) attened Add-Ran College in Ft Worth where they all earned their law degrees.

Teddy Sr and Jr were both "butchers" by trade. Jimmy Hoffa ain't buried in the end zone of The Meadoewlands...ruff ruff.

That's a pretty interesting story.

It's a very true story. The cattle drives to Wichita, Ka showed the way. Anything moving from South Texas had to move through Waco...until the DEA figured it out.

I wasn’t questioning it at all. Didn’t know that about Waco. All I know is Baylor is there, the Branch Davidians and Chip and Joanna.

VN Store

Back