my thoughts this morning on the playoff

mikepotts

on the way into work listening to an assortment of sports talk discussing the CFP.

1. anyone but bama, i dont care who wins, as long as its not bama.
2. what if bama and GA win, the rest of the country will NOT be happy, but it should add credence to the SEC is best argument.
3. if #2 happens, how long before people say they should extend the CFP to 8 or even 10 games?
4. i am seeing more and more group of 5 teams that are LEGIT and deserve a chance at a playoff, maybe not at the highest level, maybe its time for a CFP for the P5 and G5 seperately.

yalls thoughts?

on the way into work listening to an assortment of sports talk discussing the CFP.

2. what if bama and GA win, the rest of the country will NOT be happy, but it should add credence to the SEC is best argument.
3. if #2 happens, how long before people say they should extend the CFP to 8 or even 10 games?
4. i am seeing more and more group of 5 teams that are LEGIT and deserve a chance at a playoff, maybe not at the highest level, maybe its time for a CFP for the P5 and G5 seperately.

yalls thoughts?

one more thing... if bama DOESNT win... how much longer will saban coach? will he wait until he has a few down seasons, tarnishing his image, or go out on top?

one more thing... if bama DOESNT win... how much longer will saban coach? will he wait until he has a few down seasons, tarnishing his image, or go out on top?

I think the instant he believes the program is in a position where he can't reliably compete for a title, he walks away. That might be after this season or it could be 5 years from now.

If Saban wants to pull a Bob Stoops, that would leave Alabama in quite a pickle. He doesn't have an heir apparent on that staff. Dabo is their guy. How do they get Dabo if Saban announces his retirement after NSD or something like that? That will have to be pretty carefully managed because they don't want to announce an upcoming retirement because of the effect it would have on recruiting.

yalls thoughts?

Me and Mike Leach think it should be extended to at least 16 teams, if not 64. Works in B-Ball.

yalls thoughts?
My thoughts are out there compared to where everyone else is. I'm clearly on record that I don't like the playoff format as is because it is subjective, just like every other system before it.

I would like to see the conferences as we know them eliminated. I'd like to then see the teams divided in to four 28 team regions; north, south, East, and west. That's also assuming that some of the smaller FBS teams would choose to drop down to FCS rather than try to complete. Each region is then divided in to two 14 team divisions. Everyone goes to a 13 game schedule and plays each team in their division. The winner of each division then plays for the region championship, with the winners advancing to the final four. You could continue to play the other bowl games as consolation prizes like they are today.

I know im in a minority of one here, but those are my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 person
It should be 8 teams. This is a no-brainer. The 7 games would be at these bowl locations:

Cotton
Orange
Rose
Fiesta
Sugar
Peach
Citrus

yalls thoughts?
wrt #2. It doesn't prove sh!t wrt the SEC being the "best". IT proves Bama can win a popularity contest.

This.

is.

wrong.

No. It is a lie.

wrt #2. It doesn't prove sh!t wrt the SEC being the "best". IT proves Bama can win a popularity contest.

Within the argument that you've been making, wouldn't it say something about the strength of the SEC if the "3rd place team" beats the ACC champ?

Reactions: 1 person
Within the argument that you've been making, wouldn't it say something about the strength of the SEC if the "3rd place team" beats the ACC champ?
Ever heard the phrase "any given Saturday"?

Keep trying to pedal your snake oil. You're living a lie.

UCF deserves a shot more than Bama. At least the NCAA basketball tournament gives 'underdogs' a chance.

LOL So a cartel runs it. Perfect. Even less legitimate.

A cartel runs both, actually. It just depends on which cartel you prefer.

While they are attached to the Power 5 cartel, the Group of 5 will make a lot more money and be able to offer more scholarships. But if competing for titles is more important, I'm sure the NCAA will gladly welcome any of them back to FCS.

I wonder if any of this angst that the CFP has created (which is funny in and of itself, because it was created to defuse BCS angst) will heat up the discussion about superconferences again.

That was all the rage just a few years ago, but you haven't heard a peep about it since.

Any given Saturday. The winner of this cluster**** is not necessarily the best in the nation. It merely means that they have the only 2 game winning streak.

Bama does not belong.

If Bama beats Clemson and either UGA or OU, wouldn't the logical conclusion be that it was the Iron Bowl that was the "given Saturday"?

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back