Heisman Trophy winners don't always find NFL glory

I've been saying this for the last year. There hasn't been a NFL Hall of Fame Heisman winner since Charles Woodson in 1997. And other than Cam Newton in 2010 not an NFL MVP.

Most Heisman winners end up as average players in the NFL or straight up busts.

Reactions: 1 person
Redskins played him even though he was visibly off which, IMHO, ruined him..But I'm with you on the super talent....

He was a bit moronic tho couldn’t or wouldn’t slide and took unnecessary hits

I still remember that one against haloti gnata smh

it is true that Heisman winners are rarely NFL sensations, but why is this a surprise to anyone?

The vast majority of Heisman winners are quarterbacks. The QB that win the award are most often in a spread offense that puts up video game-type numbers. QB's in traditional, reasonably balanced offenses do not have the stats to win the Heisman. Most of these spread QB are not suited for the NFL. If anyone thinks the NFL and the college game is the same, especially in the QB position, they have not watched much of either.

We only have a few RB in the NFL that won the Heisman in the past 30-40 years, but most have been good or better, and few were busts short of injury.

WR probably has the best opportunity to parlay a Heisman to a HOF NFL career, but they do not seem to get a chance for the Heisman.

I've been saying this for the last year. There hasn't been a NFL Hall of Fame Heisman winner since Charles Woodson in 1997. And other than Cam Newton in 2010 not an NFL MVP.

Most Heisman winners end up as average players in the NFL or straight up busts.

You've been saying what for the last year? That Heisman winners often bust? Did you start watching football 2 years ago? This has been the narrative my whole life.

I would say it's actually less true than it was in the past. 5 out of the last 8 Heisman winners have had NFL success.

And Cam Newton is well on his way to the HOF as long as he stays healthy.

Reactions: 2 people
There are several obvious reasons for this being the case.

1. The obvious...the Heisman is a collegiate award, not a "best potential pro" award. Tebow was almost universally panned as a pro prospect at the QB position in spite of him being just as universally considered one of the best collegiate players ever. Charlie Ward won of a slew of awards and a NC at FSU but went to the NBA instead of NFL. There's nothing about the Heisman that even implies the winner is supposed to be a huge success in the NFL...only that you balled out in college.

2. Simple math. There's only one a year people. Every single Heisman winner ever would only get you halfway through the 3rd round of one draft. The draft is FAR more intensive a study of a player as an individual talent than the Heisman and there's still basically no such animal as a "sure thing" even with the first pick. Also bear in mind that's with every position in play, not just basically the QB/RB. It's ludicrous to expect every Heisman winner is going to monster the league.

3. Expectations. A Heisman winner (or even just really, really successful collegiate) is doing damn well to just be a "solid" pro player. Hell, it's a big deal to be a solid pro in the league at all. Think of the huge number of people that can't even accomplish that level of success.

Last edited:
Also take into consideration that the Heisman winner is always seems to be on one of the top teams that year. You could have a guy from a P5 school putting up video game numbers, but if the team loses more than 3 games they won't be considered.

Also take into consideration that the Heisman winner is always seems to be on one of the top teams that year. You could have a guy from a P5 school putting up video game numbers, but if the team loses more than 3 games they won't be considered.

And you might be the most outstanding player, but you don't play WR, RB, or QB, so you don't have a chance at the Heisman....unless a Tennessee player is the frontrunner.

That's right folks, Tennessee is the only school with runners up to a player with a losing record and a defensive player.

The worst Heisman to NFL bust of all time?? Ohio State's Archie Griffin. A TWO time Heisman winner and complete NFL bust.

Any time I see a Heisman House commercial, all I can think of is Has-been House.

I lament the transformation of the award away from being for the best player in college regardless of the talent around then to being the most marketable player on a winning team. It lost its luster along the way.

And with the running back from Bama winning the Heisman a few years ago, Tennessee now remains the only program with more than one national championship that has never been host to a Heisman Trophy winner.

VN Store

Back