TTU Dismisses Satterfield

The irony of Tech football...They were a better coached team under the direction of the NCAA's all-time losingest coach..who would have never been fired. He retired. New coach goes 6-16 and is canned. Hey, it's OVC, and we like to take in a $10 D1 local game, but no excuse to only win 1 game for that team.

The irony of Tech football...They were a better coached team under the direction of the NCAA's all-time losingest coach..who would have never been fired. He retired. New coach goes 6-16 and is canned. Hey, it's OVC, and we like to take in a $10 D1 local game, but no excuse to only win 1 game for that team.

I try to go to some games, I really do. Why go to a Tech game when I can go to an MTSU game that will probably be better?

Reactions: 1 person
he never was a good fit for the cookeville area. remember he was suspended at one time.

They had Watson. Wonder if they could get Mack. Bob Davie doesn't seem to want to hang it up. UNM must be a hard place to attract a coach. Bob seems to have a lifetime job as a 4 win coach there.

They had Watson. Wonder if they could get Mack. Bob Davie doesn't seem to want to hang it up. UNM must be a hard place to attract a coach. Bob seems to have a lifetime job as a 4 win coach there.

That's amazing to think that Bob Davie was Notre Dame's head coach at one point.

He did get New Mexico to a bowl in 2015 and 2016, and actually won the bowl game last year. New Mexico seems like a wasteland as far college football. Where do they get the talent from? What kind of commitment to be good from the administration is there? I bet as long as you don't bring the university into ill repute (like their previous coach) or go 2-26 (like their previous coach), you can stay there as long as you want.

That's amazing to think that Bob Davie was Notre Dame's head coach at one point.

He did get New Mexico to a bowl in 2015 and 2016, and actually won the bowl game last year. New Mexico seems like a wasteland as far college football. Where do they get the talent from? What kind of commitment to be good from the administration is there? I bet as long as you don't bring the university into ill repute (like their previous coach) or go 2-26 (like their previous coach), you can stay there as long as you want.

That was a curious question. So I looked up the roster. Interestingly its probably 60% New Mexico HS players, 30% Texas, and the other 10% California and scattered places. Even more curious is what is left over for New Mex State, and the D2 schools scattered around.

The Bob Davie thing always seemed odd to me. He wasn't great at ND, but wasn't too horrible. Just average. Guess its more curious how he got the ND job in the first place. It's a coach killer if you don't do well there. Davie, Weis, etc. since Holtz. It is odd that a man goes from ND to UNM. But, he apparently loves coaching and like you said, takes care of the basic interests. I've seen them play a few times this year. They actually get alot of TV time on Thursdays and Fridays. Players seem to hustle for him. Decent QB.

The Bob Davie thing always seemed odd to me. He wasn't great at ND, but wasn't too horrible. Just average. Guess its more curious how he got the ND job in the first place.

Bob Davie was Lou Holtz's DC his last few years at ND. Looking back on it, I wonder if ND thinks that was the "easy" or "lazy" hire. Notre Dame, especially at that time, sees itself as a preeminent program and that is a bit out of character for them to promote from within. There were probably better candidates out there.

Honestly, in a few years, I wonder if Oklahoma will feel the same way about Lincoln Riley. Riley is a good OC, but he's really young and has never run a program, much less a program like Oklahoma. If he starts to slip a little, and by slip a little I mean lose 2 or 3 games a year, I bet they'll run him off.

Bob Davie was Lou Holtz's DC his last few years at ND. Looking back on it, I wonder if ND thinks that was the "easy" or "lazy" hire. Notre Dame, especially at that time, sees itself as a preeminent program and that is a bit out of character for them to promote from within. There were probably better candidates out there.

Honestly, in a few years, I wonder if Oklahoma will feel the same way about Lincoln Riley. Riley is a good OC, but he's really young and has never run a program, much less a program like Oklahoma. If he starts to slip a little, and by slip a little I mean lose 2 or 3 games a year, I bet they'll run him off.

A little research for memory's sake shed light into the whole Davie thing from the get go. He had an extremely strong record at that time as a DC and solid defensive mind. Brought several defenses up from the ashes to national defensive respectability. He was not a favored HC hire with the ND base, but got the promotion. Nor did his defensive prowess translate to HC prowess. Was a pro aTm personality and used references to them alot and alienated himself. Worked ESPN after ND until UNM offered him in 2011/12. I am surprised he didn't get picked back up as a DC after ND. Mostly matured up through the Jackie Sherrill tree and was DC at aTm as the creator of the "Wrecking Crew." Then on to ND as DC.

The Riley experiment at OK remains to play out, but he did himself a huge favor by rolling out of the gates the way he did this year. The ability to keep the cupboard full in recruiting will be the big question mark, and like you say, the ability to just run the program. I don't think his ability to coach will be an issue. But, he has big recruiting shoes to fill as the head man. And he has to be able to differentiate the difference in being a coach/coordinate to HC/CEO. Alot of up and comers have that problem ,and is why they fizzle in their first HC gig.

Last edited:
The Riley experiment at OK remains to play out, but he did himself a huge favor by rolling out of the gates the way he did this year. The ability to keep the cupboard full in recruiting will be the big question mark, and like you say, the ability to just run the program.

True, but he has to do at least as well as Stoops did. If he slips just a little bit in future years, I can hear the calls already: "He had his biggest success with Bob's players, he's too young, he's a good OC but can't run an entire program," etc.

I agree that his ability to run an offense is basically unquestioned. In fact, he helped remove Stoops from something of a hot seat in 2015 and really reinvigorated the offense (they went 8-5 the year before). That was a great hire by Stoops and Riley is a great OC.

His program-running ability? I know they've had a great year, but that remains to be seen and will play out over the next few years. I don't expect their fanbase to have a lot of patience if he slips a little in subsequent years. Maybe this will be proven to be a stupid statement in time, but it might have been better for him professionally to have gone to a smaller school to be an HC for a few years before taking over a job like Oklahoma.

I think the biggest difference is Riley was chosen as successor. lends a little more credibility to him being able to do it. OK was in a good place and wasn't scrambling for a hire to end up promoting Riley. this was planned.

I think the biggest difference is Riley was chosen as successor. lends a little more credibility to him being able to do it. OK was in a good place and wasn't scrambling for a hire to end up promoting Riley. this was planned.

Yes. That transition was probably in the works for a while, and was handled quickly and decisively to minimize the absence of a coaching search. Maybe will work for them in the long run.

I doubt Stoops hired Riley with the intention of Riley being his successor. It probably turned into that towards the end of last season. Stoops had told people privately (and perhaps said publicly, although I'm not sure) that he wasn't going to stick around forever like Bowden or Paterno.

I think Oklahoma hiring Riley is a lot like Tennessee hiring Fulmer, minus the part where the assistant plays a role (allegedly) in forcing out the head guy :) Stoops decided he was ready to go, and Riley would absolutely be in high demand from other schools if Oklahoma didn't make him the head guy, so they promoted him.

It kind of amazes me that Austin Peay can do as well as they have only a few years into scholarship football and Tech continues to spin its wheels. Clarksville does have more available talent to talk into staying home I guess is probably the key advantage there but still... I've been back for Tech's homecoming the last fee years and they've done a lot to make the game day experience better except win. Maybe one day.

It kind of amazes me that Austin Peay can do as well as they have only a few years into scholarship football and Tech continues to spin its wheels. Clarksville does have more available talent to talk into staying home I guess is probably the key advantage there but still... I've been back for Tech's homecoming the last fee years and they've done a lot to make the game day experience better except win. Maybe one day.

There is very little D1 talent on the plateau for Tech to keep home. Second, APSU hires a much better new coach.

Having said that, Jackson County HS has 3 getting recruited this year. If all works out, one will go to APSU or ETSU, one to Illinois, and one Tech would take if he kept his grades up will end up at D3 Centre College. The Illinois recruit has an older brother that tied to walk on at AFA but didn’t make the team. And that’s just Jackson Cty. There is talent around, but Tech historically does little local recruiting.

VN Store

Back