Butch Jones - Where does he land?

Souce

-.- .. ... ... / -- -.-- / .- ... ... -.-.--
It's so nice to start a thread about Butch in the "Around the NCAA" forum......

So who gets him? Or does he get passed over because of the behavior rumors?

Some MAC school.

Don’t think he has what it takes to coach any higher than that.

Someone will pick him up due to his recruiting abilities alone.

Either his recruiting was vastly overrated here or he’s literally the worst head coach in terms of developing talent in college football history. Not sure which one it is. Think it may be both.....that’s how one loses 50-17 vs a bad Missouri team.

Jones isnt going to be a HC anytime soon. lol

He could get a job somewhere like Ball State fairly easily. He won't be coaching a P5 school though.

Edit: Unless that Power 5 school is Kansas.

Last edited:
I bet Central Michigan would take him back. Look at their record with Brian Kelly/Butch and look at their record since then.

Butch recruits well and his teams generally are motivated and play hard. That allows him to be successful at that level.

Either his recruiting was vastly overrated here or he’s literally the worst head coach in terms of developing talent in college football history. Not sure which one it is. Think it may be both.....that’s how one loses 50-17 vs a bad Missouri team.

I think he is the worst coach ever at developing talent. Can't fathom how much talent has ran through the T over the past couple of years with nothing to show for it.

Reactions: 1 person

He is a horrendous, horrendous, talent developer. Look up the 247 pages of the starters on our defense and see those kids' star ratings and offer lists. There is no way all of those kids are busts. The defensive line in particular is an extremely underachieving unit. It pains me to say this, but I'd be willing to wager that Kongbo and McKenzie went to other schools, they'd be All-Americans and first round draft picks. At Tennessee, they are "pretty good" players on their best day and average at best players on their worst.

The offensive line is full of 4-star recruits (and a 5-star true freshman). Another very underachieving unit. Again, there is no way each and every one of those guys are busts. There are busts in every class, but there's no way every 4 or 5-star player you signed is a bust. That's on the coaches.

The only guys who I think fully realized their potential while at Tennessee under Butch were Derek Barnett and Cam Sutton.

A competent coach would have won the East in 2015 and 2016 and could have won 11 or 12 games (including a bowl win) in 2016.

Reactions: 1 person
He is a horrendous, horrendous, talent developer. Look up the 247 pages of the starters on our defense and see those kids' star ratings and offer lists. There is no way all of those kids are busts. The defensive line in particular is an extremely underachieving unit. It pains me to say this, but I'd be willing to wager that Kongbo and McKenzie went to other schools, they'd be All-Americans and first round draft picks. At Tennessee, they are "pretty good" players on their best day and average at best players on their worst.

The offensive line is full of 4-star recruits (and a 5-star true freshman). Another very underachieving unit. how many of those 4stars are playing atm?Again, there is no way each and every one of those guys are busts. There are busts in every class, but there's no way every 4 or 5-star player you signed is a bust. That's on the coaches.

The only guys who I think fully realized their potential while at Tennessee under Butch were Derek Barnett and Cam Sutton. I would add at least JRM to this list. and i think its difficult to rate the other players who havent graduated yet. and then you add in everyone getting injured is going to set people back. also any of our kickers have turned into good players, even if they are just kickers.

A competent coach would have won the East in 2015 and 2016 and could have won 11 or 12 games (including a bowl win) in 2016.not with the injuries.
we were so beat up last year.

I would say he weakest piece was personnel management and injury prevention, and I don't even know how you reduce the injuries.

he was bad at developing talent, but people too quickly forget Dooley as worst ever.

I would say he weakest piece was personnel management and injury prevention, and I don't even know how you reduce the injuries.

he was bad at developing talent, but people too quickly forget Dooley as worst ever.

I don't think Dooley was any worse at developing talent. Dooley simply didn't have as much talent as much to begin with because he was an awful recruiter along with being an awful talent developer, so I'm not entirely sure. Dooley certainly was a worse coach than Butch overall though.

As far as the injuries, yes, there were a ton last year. Butch also finished the toughest part of the schedule at 5-2 with a lot of those injuries. All he had to do was beat South Carolina and Vanderbilt to go 10-2, and he would have been an overtime loss away from 11-1. It was possible, even with the injuries.

He's had injuries again this year, but injuries notwithstanding I don't think you can say Coleman Thomas, Drew Richmond, Jashon Robertson, Jack Jones, etc. have played to their potential at Tennessee. To varying degrees, all of those guys were fairly highly recruited with good offer lists.

VN Store

Back