Have injuries pushed Alabama to its tipping point?

Tidal Surge

Have injuries pushed Alabama Crimson Tide to their tipping point? - SEC Blog - ESPN

A strange thing happened late Saturday night: For the first time since the opening week of the season, people actually paid attention to Alabama.

Like, they watched the game and everything.

The previous eight weeks had passed by in a blur of sleep-inducing dominance. Nick Saban’s squad was so much better than the competition that it only made sense to doze off or change the channel. Even a prime-time game against LSU in which Alabama didn’t play its best was overlooked because the Tide never trailed and wound up winning by two touchdowns.

But on Saturday, on the road against Mississippi State, that all changed. Alabama’s offense stumbled out of the gate, the defense struggled to contain QB*Nick Fitzgerald*and the Bulldogs' running game, and late into the fourth quarter, Mississippi State was actually winning. It took a brilliant performance from QB*Jalen Hurts*to pull Alabama back from the brink and leave Starkville undefeated.

Here’s the problem, though: Everyone saw what happened. Miami-Notre Dame got out of hand early, so Alabama took center stage -- warts and all. And suddenly there are concerning questions being asked about the Crimson Tide.

The issue at hand isn’t debatable. It’s injuries, plain and simple.

No one wants to hear about injuries because every team deals with them, but even the most ardent of SEC haters would have to look at what Alabama has dealt with this season and understand that this isn’t your typical case of wear and tear. The attrition at specific positions has put Saban’s defense in danger of reaching its breaking point.

If we’re being honest, Alabama's vulnerability is something we should have seen coming for a while now. Because in the midst of that blowout win over Florida State in the season opener, Alabama lost two of its best pass-rushers in outside linebackers*Terrell Lewis*and*Christian Miller.

Overlooking that was a mistake that wouldn’t come full circle until the LSU game when starting inside linebacker*Shaun Dion Hamilton*was lost for the season with a knee injury and reserve inside linebacker*Mack Wilson*was sidelined for an expected four to six weeks by a foot injury. On top of that, star defensive back*Minkah Fitzpatrick*pulled a hamstring.

All that attrition came to a head against Mississippi State. The lack of experience and depth at outside linebacker was exposed as the defense struggled to seal the edge when Fitzpatrick ran the read-option. Losing Hamilton, the signal-caller of the defense, no doubt played a part in the team's inability to get off the field on third down. And Fitzpatrick? He played, but you could tell that he wasn’t 100 percent.

Alabama's defense is showing the strain of losing so many key players to injury, including linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton.*Vasha Hunt/AL.com via AP

The issues at linebacker speak for themselves -- no defense can lose four key players at a single position and not experience a drop-off -- but the day-to-day status of the All-America candidate Fitzpatrick creates a troubling domino effect in a secondary where he’s capable of playing all six positions. The moment he pulled his hamstring, he became a liability in pass coverage, forcing*Hootie Jones*to play safety and*Tony Brown*to move to nickelback -- two solid role players suddenly asked to do much more.

An Alabama defense that had allowed just two touchdowns and 66.4 yards per game on the ground during its first eight games of the season has now yielded four touchdowns and 161.5 yards per game rushing over the past two games.

After beating Mississippi State, Saban lamented a "myriad of mistakes" that included players losing containment, not blitzing when they were supposed to and not covering well at times.

"So," he said, "lots of things to correct."

On Monday, he tried to piece it together.

"When you have changes," he said, "whether … those changes are inevitable because of players missing or whatever, those are all things that have some impact on how you're able to play and what you're able to do. Whether it's how you communicate, the guys getting in the right things, doing the right things, not making mental errors, or having the confidence that every player out there is going to be able to do what he needs to do effectively."

And therein lies the rub for those who would brush off Alabama’s injuries and point to the never-ending crop of four- and five-star players riding the bench. Because while five-star inside linebacker*Dylan Moses*was a prodigy LSU recruited as early as the eighth grade, his talent can only overcome so much. He can’t outrun experience and he can’t suddenly be skilled in performing all the duties Hamilton was expected to take care of at inside linebacker.

As Saban explained, “The stability of the defense has to be created through confidence in the signal-caller making the right calls.” Lose that and you’re going to feel it.

Maybe Moses can develop into Alabama’s signal-caller, or maybe it’s veteran reserve*Keith Holcombe*who will step up.

Whatever the case, it’s not going to be Hamilton. It won't be Wilson, either. And Lewis and Miller aren’t coming back before a bowl game.

What’s more, offensive lineman*Ross Pierschbacher, a three-year starter, is dealing with a high-ankle sprain that has him out this weekend against Mercer and threatens to sideline him against top-10 Auburn the week after.

With Auburn surging and Alabama nursing a slew of injuries, the Iron Bowl has become a more compelling matchup, one that will serve as an elimination game for the College Football Playoff and decide who will face Georgia in the SEC championship game.

Even if Alabama survives, you have to wonder what kind of shape the team will be in coming out the other side.

The fully-stocked, dominant Crimson Tide are gone. What we’ll see from here on out is a team held together by backups and bandages.

Last edited:
Even with injuries Bama will still be odds favorite to go to the SECCG....again. They are heads and shoulders above everybody else.

It's boring and not many people outside of Alabama fans care anymore. Congrats on another playoff appearance and possible NC.

The issue at hand isn’t debatable. It’s injuries, plain and simple.

Alabama is a good team, I think probably not on the level they have been over the last 6 years or so but still solid... and maybe enough to win it all. As far as injuries, every team has them, some teams like LSU are without players due to suspension, or draft, or kicked off team. LSU usually has 2-3 walk-ons or former walk-ons playing. On any given play on LSU you will see 2-4 true freshmen on the field on both sides of the ball. LSU didn't need a whole bunch of injuries to get to the freshman, they'll been playing since game 1.

Any given play LSU is playing 2-3 true freshmen, I wish it was due to injury - they play or basically its onto walk-ons.

I would still probably bet on Bama at this point, but a bad matchup i.e. Oklahoma and I could see it going wrong for them. Not sure Bama fan knows what the word depleted is... this isn't it. Let me know when Bama has to go to 2-DL front because there is no other person to stick in there and yes, that happened with LSU against Mississippi State.

Bama is surviving, that is good for them... but every team loses players. LSU was without 13+ players due to suspension for many games this year, many of them starters... that is the way it goes.... next man up.

Last edited:
yeah. 4 losses to one position isn't that bad.

we had to start scout team members last year all across our defense and it wasn't allowed to be an excuse.

Reactions: 3 people
yeah. 4 losses to one position isn't that bad.

we had to start scout team members last year all across our defense and it wasn't allowed to be an excuse.

Yeah, I mean they are upset when they lose 3-4 LBs, LSU has barely been able to secure that many LBs in recruiting over the last 4-5 years. :) The guys playing ILB are basically playing out of position, although White has worked out well after moving from RB. Most of the guys play LB for LSU are playing out of position and its been like that for about 5+ years. They have to play Rucker at times when White comes out.... scout team guy.

LSU was down to their 4th and 5th string DEs against Mississippi State... MS didn't care... LSU basically had to go to the 2-4-5 defense. They even tried putting Arden Key as a DE in the 3-4.... lol that didn't work out so well. :eek:lol:

At LSU a DL gets hurt, you move a LB down to DL, if the LB gets hurt... you move the Safety down to the LB position. :eek:lol: There really isn't strings, its more like... that guy got hurt... go get in his spot. I would love for LSU to be 3-4 deep at LB, must be nice.

Last edited:
Two best OLB/pass rushers were lost for the season in game one.

Hamilton was the alpha dog ILB and play caller for the Dfront. Wilson was his backup. Both lost for rest of season in LSU game. Holcombe is the 3rd stringer there and is a big dropoff. He's also diabetic and is nursing a hamstring injury.

Minka is the QB of the 2ndary and can play every DB position if needed. He is hobbled by a hamstring injury. Several other DBs are banged up and not 100%

Hammy injuries can get worse by practicing and playing.

Several Dline players are banged up and less than 100%.

The defense is nowhere near its normal level. That was glaringly obvious vs LSU and vs MSU.

Last edited:

Hamilton was the alpha dog ILB and play caller for the Dfront. Wilson was his backup. Both lost for rest of season in LSU game. Holcombe is the 3rd stringer there and is a big dropoff. He's also diabetic and is nursing a hamstring injury.

Minka is the QB of the 2ndary and can play every DB position if needed. He is hobbled by a hamstring injury. Several other DBs are banged up and not 100%

The defense is nowhere near its normal level. That was glaringly obvious vs LSU and vs MSU.

lol.

UTs oline went from like 15 deep to 5. and that is after we pulled multiple redshirts to have 5.

QB we are down to third string

WR? what little experience we had we lost, and we also had freshmen/sophmores who were supposed to play this year not able to contribute.

RB? True freshman galore.
TE? I hope we wrap Ethan Wolfe with bubble wrap between games, he is our only TE.

Last year I could have started for UT's defense. My God Colton Jumper looked like an All SEC player at times on our defense compared to the rest. we had literally 2 guys play the whole season healthy. 2. Barnett and Vereen, even Vereen got dinged up and missed some playing time.

no one is going to feel sorry for bama here for losing 4 guys. even Fitzpatrick the biggest complaint is that he could play anywhere. well guess what you still have ALL the guys that otherwise start when he isn't playing their spot. boo fricking hoo.

I don't see the injuries as an excuse. Injuries happen. It's unfortunate.

It's an aspect of the game in which Bama has been very fortunate for the better part of a decade. We haven't had any injuries that greatly affected the overall scheme, with the possible exception of Eddie Jackson last year. The luck simply ran out.

Bama has plenty of talent to replace the injured guys. What's lacking is experience. That inexperience was on display against MSU as guys were missing their assignments and making the wrong reads. Bama is fortunate that MSU got conservative in the 4th quarter, and thus required fewer reads to shut them down.

I've resigned myself to the reality that Bama cannot play defense like they did on Saturday and expect to win the Iron Bowl if Auburn plays offense like they did on Saturday. It will require a pitch perfect offensive performance to keep the defense off the field, and I don't trust Brian Daboll to make the right calls.

None of that is an excuse. It's football.

Reactions: 1 person

Pretty normal, most teams are banged up at this point in the year.

Let me give you an example, of depletion... LSU's first game or even the first half of the year. This is just one position... actually a position where LSU had some depth but it didn't matter.

LB(Buck)
1st string (Key) Junior - healing surgically repaired shoulder
2nd string (Anthony) Redshirt Freshman - hurt preseason out for the season
3rd string (martin) Sophomore - hurt knee spring has practiced some but out for the year
4th String (Washington) Sophomore - academics transferred in the summer
5th String (Chaisson) True Freshman
6th String (Thorton) - Redshirt Freshman

So, for the first couple of games LSU was on its 5th string and when Chaisson came out they were on their 6th string. Even now, when Key has to come out... the 5th String player is a true freshman that has only played 2 years of football. LSU doesn't have that kind of depth elsewhere, if that happened on the OL/DL/LB, LSU would be playing scout guys across the board. Tennessee is in a similar position.

Alabama is lucky these injuries didn't happen before the season started.... LSU was without 15-17 guys due to injuries/suspension for a good portion of the year.. let alone the normal attrition.

Most teams don't have the ability to pull a guy out at 4th and 5th string that were former 4/5 star guys... most teams are going to have to move guys out of position.

I wouldn't fret too much, Bama is a solid team, they make very few big mistakes... nobody calls a penalty on them. :) I would suspect they have a good shot to win it all again... depends on who they are matched up with. imo I think a team like Oklahoma could throw them for a loop.

Last edited:
And yet has anyone heard Saban coming out and announcing how injured Alabama is? No. Saban doesnt make excuses. His guys execute to their fullest potential because they are coached up properly. Lose your best LBs at Alabama? Thats cool, because the backups are coached up just as well. Lose 1 starting LB at Tennessee and our whole defense falls apart.

And yet has anyone heard Saban coming out and announcing how injured Alabama is? No. Saban doesnt make excuses. His guys execute to their fullest potential because they are coached up properly. Lose your best LBs at Alabama? Thats cool, because the backups are coached up just as well. Lose 1 starting LB at Tennessee and our whole defense falls apart.

when have we lost just 1 LB? It was more like lose your 2 deep at every position and the whole defense falls apart.

when have we lost just 1 LB? It was more like lose your 2 deep at every position and the whole defense falls apart.

This year with Kirkland. LB play has been horrible, and those guys have been healthy all year. We are very thin at that position and Kirkland is the signal caller. We really miss him. The difference between a team like Tennessee and a team like Alabama is that when Alabama's Kirkland gets hurt, they have a younger 4 or 5-star backup instead of Colton Jumper, and Alabama's Bitulis and Sapps play on a higher level than ours do.

Last year, you are correct, we lost the 2 deep at multiple LB spots (Kirkland, Reeves-Maybin, Sapp, McDowell all missed time).

EDIT: I forgot McDowell has been out pretty much all year too. So we are getting into the two deep but still not like last year. The injuries on the DL and at LB last year, combined with our best corner missing significant time, were unlike anything I've seen before.

Last edited:
This year with Kirkland. LB play has been horrible, and those guys have been healthy all year. We are very thin at that position and Kirkland is the signal caller. We really miss him. The difference between a team like Tennessee and a team like Alabama is that when Alabama's Kirkland gets hurt, they have a younger 4 or 5-star backup instead of Colton Jumper, and Alabama's Bitulis and Sapps play on a higher level than ours do.

Last year, you are correct, we lost the 2 deep at multiple LB spots (Kirkland, Reeves-Maybin, Sapp, McDowell all missed time).

EDIT: I forgot McDowell has been out pretty much all year too. So we are getting into the two deep but still not like last year. The injuries on the DL and at LB last year, combined with our best corner missing significant time, were unlike anything I've seen before.

our defense is a step better than last year. not arguing it doesn't hurt. but one injury hasn't torpedoed us.

I've ruminated on this a bit and sometimes even one injury can appear to make a difference. I can remember how much it seemed to make a difference for the Colts if Bob Sanders was healthy or not.

To the bigger picture I do think injuries have brought AL back to the pack so to speak. Yes they still have lots of talent but we aren't talking about the difference in still being "good", which they are, we're talking about "what we're used to from AL" good, especially on defense. I see a strong argument that they probably aren't at this point.

It appears that there is a possibility that a combination of Miller, Lewis, and Wilson could be cleared for the Iron Bowl.

I doubt any of them are in playing shape, particularly Miller and Lewis, who haven't so much as practiced since Week 1. But it would be incredibly helpful just to have a little extra depth.

I've ruminated on this a bit and sometimes even one injury can appear to make a difference. I can remember how much it seemed to make a difference for the Colts if Bob Sanders was healthy or not.

To the bigger picture I do think injuries have brought AL back to the pack so to speak. Yes they still have lots of talent but we aren't talking about the difference in still being "good", which they are, we're talking about "what we're used to from AL" good, especially on defense. I see a strong argument that they probably aren't at this point.

It depends on exactly what type of defense you're running. Alabama asks its safeties to do a lot, so the loss of Eddie Jackson was a big deal for them last year. In the NFL, Seattle's defense isn't the same when Earl Thomas is out.

VN Store

Back