Texas A&M moving on from Sumlin

That's 2 SEC jobs that are better than Tennessee...if Auburn is next, we're not getting anyone of value to come here and coach

Reactions: 1 person
Earlier today my television channel happened to be on a football show called Paul Finebaum Show.....I do not know how it got on this station as I am not familiar at all with this program. Finebaum had a reporter from Houston [I believe] named Brent Zwerneman that stated a couple of names have been in place as Sumlin's replacement since the UCLA lost. The two names are Jimbo Fisher and Chad Morris. Finebaum went on to say Morris' name has been mentioned as a potential candidate to replace Butch. Again, I know absolutely nothing about this show and have no idea if this information is credible or not.

Reactions: 1 person
Earlier today my television channel happened to be on a football show called Paul Finebaum Show.....I do not know how it got on this station as I am not familiar at all with this program. Finebaum had a reporter from Houston [I believe] named Brent Zwerneman that stated a couple of names have been in place as Sumlin's replacement since the UCLA lost. The two names are Jimbo Fisher and Chad Morris. Finebaum went on to say Morris' name has been mentioned as a potential candidate to replace Butch. Again, I know absolutely nothing about this show and have no idea if this information is credible or not.

FWIW.......another reporter was on this same show and mentioned three names for the Florida job........Scott Frost, Dan Mullen, and Matt Campbell. To paraphrase---the reporter said regardless of who Florida hired it would be an upgrade over the previous coach.....the reporter said in his opinion Matt Campbell would be the next Florida coach.

Below zero chance of Fisher, He has a $40 million buyout.

Zwerneman said Fisher's name was mentioned the next day after the UCLA loss and has remained in place. Zwerneman said A&M "higher ups" have made the decision A&M is going to compete for a national title.

Again, I do not know anything about this show or the credibility of Zwerneman.

That’s what Fisher is owed if FSU fires him, not if he leaves for another job. If he elects to leave, Fisher’s buyout is the total of all monies remaining on the contracts of his assistant coaches not retained by the university.

Reactions: 3 people
Sumlin is rep'd by Sexton. If this goes back to UCLA game you can bet Sexton angling to get Currie to hire Sumlin.

Sumlin is rep'd by Sexton. If this goes back to UCLA game you can bet Sexton angling to get Currie to hire Sumlin.

Finebaum and his lady counterpart Laura both agreed they felt Sumlin would end up in the SEC but not at Tennessee.

The coaches discussed for Tennessee by Barrett Sallee were Chad Morris and Dan Mullen. Sallee said very little about Morris, but felt Dan Mullen would be the next Tennessee coach. Finebaum and Laura discussed Chip Kelley and Jon Gruden as the next Tennessee coach. Both felt Chip would end up at either Tennessee or UCLA, and that Tennessee would be the only job Kelley would take in the SEC. Oddly enough, both Finebaum and Laura agreed Jon is a real possibility. Finebaum said "an inner-circle" of boosters wants Jon and are willing to pay to get him. Both Finebaum and Laura felt recruits [especially quarterbacks] would line up to play for Jon and coaches as well would line up to coach with Jon. Also, both felt Jon would be the best recruit "closer" [or one of the best---Saban] in college football.

Arkansas was briefly discussed. The general feeling was the current coach would get one more year [depending on coaches available], but if a change was made, Mike Norvell would probably be the target. Also, Norvell's name was connected to Ole Miss.

Again, I do not know anything about this show including the hosts and guest reporters.......I do not know if any are credible or not.

Finebaum and his lady counterpart Laura both agreed they felt Sumlin would end up in the SEC but not at Tennessee.

The coaches discussed for Tennessee by Barrett Sallee were Chad Morris and Dan Mullen. Sallee said very little about Morris, but felt Dan Mullen would be the next Tennessee coach. Finebaum and Laura discussed Chip Kelley and Jon Gruden as the next Tennessee coach. Both felt Chip would end up at either Tennessee or UCLA, and that Tennessee would be the only job Kelley would take in the SEC. Oddly enough, both Finebaum and Laura agreed Jon is a real possibility. Finebaum said "an inner-circle" of boosters wants Jon and are willing to pay to get him. Both Finebaum and Laura felt recruits [especially quarterbacks] would line up to play for Jon and coaches as well would line up to coach with Jon. Also, both felt Jon would be the best recruit "closer" [or one of the best---Saban] in college football.

Arkansas was briefly discussed. The general feeling was the current coach would get one more year [depending on coaches available], but if a change was made, Mike Norvell would probably be the target. Also, Norvell's name was connected to Ole Miss.

Again, I do not know anything about this show including the hosts and guest reporters.......I do not know if any are credible or not.

Heard the Gruden talk. Refreshing for national media to put more stock in than Knoxville media. So Sumlin to Miss State to backfill Mullen. Can't see him at Auburn.

Heard the Gruden talk. Refreshing for national media to put more stock in than Knoxville media. So Sumlin to Miss State to backfill Mullen. Can't see him at Auburn.

Personally, I don't see why any SEC school would hire him......if he can't win at A&M, I don't see him winning at any other SEC school. Also, I don't see why Sumlin would want to coach in a conference he can't win in.....he needs to change conference's. And he would have to take a pay cut because I don't see any school paying him A&M money. I think Baylor will be his next stop.

If Gruden leaves MNF it will be for us....As we all know this has been a pipe dream for most UT fans but for the first time is a realistic reality due to the mess at ESPN and MNF and the NFL in general right now. I still put Gruden to UT at around 30% but in the past I had it at 0%.

I really think UF wants and will go hard at Chip Kelly. UF is in a odd position as far as the State of Florida football in general these days. FSU is struggling a bit, The U is on the quick rise back to a elite program and little guys like UCF and USF have become national players. They need the big sexy hire to put UF back as the powerhouse in Florida.

I would be a little surprised if Sumlin gets a another SEC job. I think he becomes a candidate at places like UCLA, UCF (if Frost leaves) or maybe even Louisville.

If Gruden leaves MNF it will be for us....As we all know this has been a pipe dream for most UT fans but for the first time is a realistic reality due to the mess at ESPN and MNF and the NFL in general right now. I still put Gruden to UT at around 30% but in the past I had it at 0%.

I really think UF wants and will go hard at Chip Kelly. UF is in a odd position as far as the State of Florida football in general these days. FSU is struggling a bit, The U is on the quick rise back to a elite program and little guys like UCF and USF have become national players. They need the big sexy hire to put UF back as the powerhouse in Florida.

I would be a little surprised if Sumlin gets a another SEC job. I think he becomes a candidate at places like UCLA, UCF (if Frost leaves) or maybe even Louisville.

Dan Lebatard just said that Gruden IS the highest paid employee at ESPN

Morris ain't leaving SMU for any other place than A&M. He's an alum, and it's his dream job. He used to be a HS coach in TX, and was president of the HS coaches assoc in Texas, so he's got good connections with coaches in Texas.

LOL on us (I'm an Aggie) even getting close to getting Jimbo Fisher or any coach of that caliber. Our BOR will screw it up, and we will get another coach that is mediocre, just like Sumlin is.

VN Store

Back