Auburn loses to D-II Team

Smartvol17

Auburn lost in their exhibition game against D-II Barry 100-95, what in the world happened to Bruce? Starting to think Steve Forbes was the real genius behind those great Vols teams a decade ago.

Auburn lost in their exhibition game against D-II Barry 100-95, what in the world happened to Bruce? Starting to think Steve Forbes was the real genius behind those great Vols teams a decade ago.

It was a great mix when Pearl, Forbes, Shay, and Jones were here. I definitely think that Forbes was under appreciated. Seems like Forbes spent a lot of time scouting opponents while he was here, correct?

Bruce is in hot water at Auburn. This is the first of several losses they wil have this season in what will likely be Bruce Pearl's final season on the plains.

Reactions: 1 person
It was a great mix when Pearl, Forbes, Shay, and Jones were here. I definitely think that Forbes was under appreciated. Seems like Forbes spent a lot of time scouting opponents while he was here, correct?

Jason Shay was great at scouting opponents. Forbes joined staff later here. I do believe Bruce will be fired this year. But as for this thread. When Bruce was here they lost to a division II team from Indiana. That night it appeared to me he let it happen kind of like a way to open the players eyes.

Forbes and Shay alternated the scouting as I recall.

I don't blame Bruce for the sins of Chuck Person.
No head coach should be expected to shoulder the blame for the sinister machinations of a morally bankrupt assistant who goes behind his back to line his own pockets.
I didn't like the Person hire when I first heard of it way back when. I'm not surprised that he turned out to be the turd in the proverbial punch bowl.
I believe Bruce will get his program back on track after the investigation of the college basketball recruiting scandal has run its course and he gets the right people down there helping him right the ship.
Personally, I wish him well and hope that Auburn rises above the current situation they find themselves in.
I wouldn't mind having another program in the conference that can knock off KY and FL and our other more established rivals in SEC basketball.
That's good for UT.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't blame Bruce for the sins of Chuck Person.
No head coach should be expected to shoulder the blame for the sinister machinations of a morally bankrupt assistant who goes behind his back to line his own pockets.
I didn't like the Person hire when I first heard of it way back when. I'm not surprised that he turned out to be the turd in the proverbial punch bowl.
I believe Bruce will get his program back on track after the investigation of the college basketball recruiting scandal has run its course and he gets the right people down there helping him right the ship.
Personally, I wish him well and hope that Auburn rises above the current situation they find themselves in.
I wouldn't mind having another program in the conference that can knock off KY and FL and our other more established rivals in SEC basketball.
That's good for UT.

Because Bruce was doing so well at Auburn before the investigation. Lol

Reactions: 3 people

The guy from Bass Pro will be along anytime now

The guy from Bass Pro will be along anytime now

If Forbes stays clean, I'd say he's at the top of the list of coaches to replace Barnes when he retires. But if Barnes gets it rolling it likely goes to a current assistant... Oliver or Lanier.

Think we see that there's a difference between having Shay and Forbes on staff and having Steven Pearl on staff.

Last time I saw Steven it was at the Tailgate Tennessee/Circle Park area before the Florida game last year. He was wearing Capri pants and slipper-like shoes. At least he wasn't sporting a man bun.

Pearl just gave Auburn their first winning season in almost a decade. I'd be slow to judge his team or his abilities.

But as for this thread. When Bruce was here they lost to a division II team from Indiana. That night it appeared to me he let it happen kind of like a way to open the players eyes.

Bruce had a ton of success backing him when that DII loss happened here. Being on thin ice at AU you'd have to think a teaching-moment L was not in his plans.

Guess you have a different definition of uncommon than most people...there's 351 D1 teams, how many of them have you heard of losing to a D2 team this year?

It happens. Its not as shocking as if a D2 team would beat a FBS school in football. D2 basketball has some quality players, they play good basketball at that level, and often get overlooked in games like this.

I was in Utah in 2008, when they lost to a D2 Southwest Baptist University team. They ended up having a very good season and making the NCAA tournament. VCU recently lost to a D2 team as well as Iowa. Like I said, its not uncommon.

It happens. Its not as shocking as if a D2 team would beat a FBS school in football. D2 basketball has some quality players, they play good basketball at that level, and often get overlooked in games like this.

I was in Utah in 2008, when they lost to a D2 Southwest Baptist University team. They ended up having a very good season and making the NCAA tournament. VCU recently lost to a D2 team as well as Iowa. Like I said, its not uncommon.

Right, it happens, but it's hardly considered common. I recall App State beating Michigan when they were D2, so it also happens in football. Like I said, 351 D1 basketball teams, how many others have you heard of this year getting beat by a D2 team?

Right, it happens, but it's hardly considered common. I recall App State beating Michigan when they were D2, so it also happens in football. Like I said, 351 D1 basketball teams, how many others have you heard of this year getting beat by a D2 team?

App St was hardly D2 in football. I can provide you more examples of D2 teams that have beat D1 teams in basketball over the years, if you would like? I never said it was common to happen, but its not shocking to happen. D1 teams tinker with their lineups in these exhibition games before regular season starts.

Last edited:

It's not common but it happens to even good teams such as Michigan State when they lost to Grand Valley State...It's hardly a barometer for the type of season a team will have. I do enjoy Bruce and Auburn losing....I hope they never win again.

VN Store

Back