ESPN Can't Afford Anything (merged)

It would be fitting if ESPN killed MNF, I wonder how many subscribers that would cost them?

MNF ratings are tanking. I don't know how many people keep their cable packages simply to keep MNF, buy there can't be too many as they sure don't seem to be watching.

Reactions: 1 person
MNF ratings are tanking. I don't know how many people keep their cable packages simply to keep MNF, buy there can't be too many as they sure don't seem to be watching.

NFL ratings are tanking, down 18%+ since 2015. I haven't seen a game since Week 2, and the idiots scream...."Its the cable cutters!" LOL

Reactions: 10 people
Well this news certainly belongs in the Gruden thread -- No more MNF -- no more job for Gruden at ESPN -- he comes to coach UT

Reactions: 5 people

And the games are almost always TERRIBLE. I have cable but rarely watch the MNF games because they are typically bad. Horrible matchups usually with not much in the way of marquee players, teams, or traditional matchups. I remember a time when I always used to watch MNF because it was typically the marquee game of the weekend. Now its typically an odd matchup with little in the way of buzz.

The best game of the week is usually the late afternoon game on CBS or Fox.

I am going to my first monday night game in a few weeks, I hope they don't kill it before then.

I dont think its so much that they cant afford it, but rather is just not as profitable for them anymore.

For several reason, but the better matchup is usually Sunday night where it used to always be Monday.

The NFL is not really putting a good product on the field. Most teams are not good.

NFL ratings are tanking, down 18%+ since 2015. I haven't seen a game since Week 2, and the idiots scream...."Its the cable cutters!" LOL

Bad NFL ratings aren't due to cord cutting. That's what's causing ESPN's demise.

The NFL's decline is caused by a natural falling off from the insanely high ratings they were getting from about 2013 - 2015 and a confluence of bad press. The anthem stuff is only a part. They've been getting pretty steady bad press from the non-sports media because of concussions and the domestic violence stuff for the past 3-4 years.

Remember, the SNF game was the highest rated program in the entire country in the 2012 - 2015 timeframe. The NFL has always been popular, but to have it be the most popular show is indicative of a lot of casual/bandwagon fans watching the show. Those types of fans eventually stop watching because they are trendy and move onto something else, especially when you combine it with the bad press.

The NFL made these decisions to add games a few years ago when ratings did nothing but go up and they thought they could do no wrong. I like the NFL, but it is on too much. Thursday night. An early Sunday morning game. A Monday night game. It is overexposed.

Last edited:

Why use data from the last 2 years if you're trying to prove it's not cable cutters? Doesn't make sense.

You can't stream ESPN without a cable subscription. They don't have a stand-alone streaming service yet. Supposedly next year.

I have ESPN and watch MNF every week but sometimes get an illegal stream (it's easier than logging into ESPN) so i can work in my office while i watch. I'm counted as a lost viewer but i'm paying and watching.

Sure you can. Roku, sling etc you can stream it in nearly all of them. Everyone i know that cut cable does that.

No you can't. On Roku, you have to have a cable or satellite subscription to get into WatchESPN. You enter the credentials from your cable or satellite provider to get into it. You still have to pay for Sling TV, which is a subscription service owned by Dish. It's a la carte style, but you still have to purchase a "package." In fact, ESPN isn't even included in Sling's base package.

You cannot buy WatchESPN as a stand-alone service.

No you can't. On Roku, you have to have a cable or satellite subscription to get into WatchESPN. You enter the credentials from your cable or satellite provider to get into it. You still have to pay for Sling TV, which is a subscription service owned by Dish. It's a la carte style, but you still have to purchase a "package." In fact, ESPN isn't even included in Sling's base package.

Not sure if anyone offers a true la carte, meaning selected channels. I thought about Playstation Vue but all they have is packages. I wouldn't mind subscribing to say 3-5 channels but until they are la carte completely, I'm done.

As far as the topic, ESPN could never afford MNF for what they were paying. It was a basis to keep the subscribers but I think as a stand alone they only make less than $300m per on ads.

WatchESPN is fantastic--for me, anyway. You can not only watch a ton of games--in all sports--but watch them after the fact on replay. It alone is worth my cable subscription.

Not sure if anyone offers a true la carte, meaning selected channels. I thought about Playstation Vue but all they have is packages. I wouldn't mind subscribing to say 3-5 channels but until they are la carte completely, I'm done.

As far as the topic, ESPN could never afford MNF for what they were paying. It was a basis to keep the subscribers but I think as a stand alone they only make less than $300m per on ads.

Yeah, nobody does really. From what I understand Sling is more a la carte than a traditional cable company though.

The cable/satellite providers are still so far behind what so many in the market are demanding, which is a true "pick and choose" package of channels.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, nobody does really. From what I understand Sling is more a la carte than a traditional cable company though.

The cable/satellite providers are still so far behind what so many in the market are demanding, which is a true "pick and choose" package of channels.

Yeah, sling has probably the most limited version. Heck, PS vue might be about the same price as what cable is. Until the offer a true pick your channels option...not sure I'm interested...I kind of don't get the point of it.

Okie dokie
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...6MAA&usg=AOvVaw1J-70sAnsVQSRr62tQm81R&ampcf=1

You're totally missing the point. You cannot buy WatchESPN as a stand-alone service. You have to purchase it as part of some "package," whether it be from a cable provider, satellite provider, or some other provider (Sling, PS Vue, Hulu, etc.). This is what the market is upset about and why there has been so much cord cutting.

But my point, you can cut cable and still watch espn is true, thats all i said.

Reactions: 2 people
But my point, you can cut cable and still watch espn is true, thats all i said.

You said it factors into ratings, when it doesn't, unless you watch through a paid subscription app. They can't track who is watching through reddit streams from the UK.

VN Store

Back