Battle of Future Vols coaches SMU v. Tulsa

Come on guys...
giphy.gif

LOL, Chad Morris ain't going to UT.

He's an A&M alum, and will be their next coach when Sumlin leaves or is fired. It's widely known (but not wanted to be accepted) around Aggieland.

Sumlin 2.0 - all offense, no defense. If they hire him, I hope we keep Chief.

Reactions: 1 person
It is very well known that Chad Morris will likely be Texas A&M’s go to when they fire Sumlin. Morris has resurrected a downtrodden SMU program. Tennessee would be fortunate to get him in my opinion.

For those that do not know he landed at SMU after being the OC at Clemson. The offense they run now is at its core his offense. He was also the QB coach while there and you saw how Tajh Boyd did under his tutelage. Not to mention he was the biggest reason they landed Deshaun Watson.

Not only can he coach and recruit, he is very well connected in Texas having been the former TXHSFB Coaches Association president. But as previously mentioned he will likely never consider ending up in Knoxville. He is an A&M alum and his daughter is in school there now. He would be a huge upgrade over Butch and would be a near perfect fit to take over with Tennessee’s current roster. He utilizes his playmakers in space and gets them the ball to make make plays. His offense will score a lot of points and is very fast paced but he is very balanced in his play calling. He will be a great coach for whoever lands him. Our Vols won’t be fortunate enough to get him though.

Large part of his issue at SMU is it was so devoid of talent. The D is very young but they do a good job of forcing turnovers. Lost a lot of their secondary and when playing a lot of spread teams the need is glaring. The talent isn’t there yet but it’s trending the right way. Offense has been his main focal point in recruiting to this point. He took over a 1-11 team that was nearly dead last in FBS in offfense. They are in the top 15 now and score points in bunches. I have no doubt he would upgrade his DC when moving up though. I would not see him parting ways with Chief at A&M if he lands there. Tennessee he would likely retain Shoop and let him actually coach. Again, he will land a big job before too long.

The big question is what he will cost a big program to get him because the SMU boosters money is near endless and they have been waiting on someone to make SMU relevant since the death penalty was handed down. He is already the highest paid non P5 coach and I could see SMU finding the money to match anything he is offered. It boils down to what he would want to do though. Dallas is riddled with Division I talent and SMU is right in the middle of that hotbed. They just haven’t had a coach to give them an on field product that was as adamant as he is about recruiting the metroplex.

Well, he's always said A&M was his destination job. So, I expect him to wait for that. He's an alum, better facilities, unlimited resources, etc. The big money Ags want him too. A&M has a couple billion dollar endowment, just spent $750 million dollars on stadium renovations, so I don't think SMU could money-whip them.

I agree on that 100%. End of the day the only place he will go is A&M. The question will be if they come knocking and when. I don’t see him leaving the state of Texas regardless. He already turned down Baylor and Texas just hired Herman. Leaves A&M and TTU. A&M is the only school that makes sense. Coaches do strange things at times though. But in regards to Tennessee I just don’t see him considering going there unless A&M turns him away first.

VN Store

Back