George Quarles has Furman offense rolling right now

Since his record in HS was only 250-16 he's definitely not worthy of consideration.

Exactly. What do these "titles" mean? So who is higher up the totem pole on deciding how the offense is run, offensive coordinator or "associate head coach" that was repeatedly said was being hired as the OC?

What We're Hearing: Latest on Tennessee Vols coach Butch Jones, AD John Currie

Legendary Maryville (Tenn.) coach leaves for college job at Furman | USA Today High School Sports

I don't know but on the face of it there's some ambiguity.

so Brady Hoke is calling the defense here at UT? He is the associate head coach. Strippling was it the whole time he was full time on staff, was he calling the D?

Reactions: 1 person
Exactly. What do these "titles" mean? So who is higher up the totem pole on deciding how the offense is run, offensive coordinator or "associate head coach" that was repeatedly said was being hired as the OC?

What We're Hearing: Latest on Tennessee Vols coach Butch Jones, AD John Currie

Legendary Maryville (Tenn.) coach leaves for college job at Furman | USA Today High School Sports

I don't know but on the face of it there's some ambiguity.

Not sure what is confusing. Generally, the Offensive Coordinator calls the plays.

Trooper Taylor was associate head coach under Fulmer. He never called plays.

so Brady Hoke is calling the defense here at UT? He is the associate head coach. Strippling was it the whole time he was full time on staff, was he calling the D?

Not sure what is confusing. Generally, the Offensive Coordinator calls the plays.

Trooper Taylor was associate head coach under Fulmer. He never called plays.

So why are there so many sources citing Quarles heading to Furman as OC? Mind you I'm not saying I know something others don't...merely citing information open to everyone.

And there's things like this:

"I will have a huge role in offense," Quarles said in a text message on Wednesday. "It's all good. All about the team."

George Quarles to be top assistant, TE coach at Furman

Maybe he's been brought in specifically for offensive input/play design and Cronic gameday playcaller? Point being whatever it is we don't know what is all this OC talk surrounding the Quarles hire in the first place?

So why are there so many sources citing Quarles heading to Furman as OC? Mind you I'm not saying I know something others don't...merely citing information open to everyone.

Maybe he's been brought in specifically for offensive input/play design and Cronic gameday playcaller? Point being whatever it is we don't know what is all this OC talk surrounding the Quarles hire in the first place?

Personally I think most writers in this Internet age care more about being first and getting clicks than they do about getting the story right.

I doubt seriously anyone edited these 'articles' before they were 'published'.

Reactions: 1 person
Personally I think most writers in this Internet age care more about being first and getting clicks than they do about getting the story right.

I doubt seriously anyone edited these 'articles' before they were 'published'.

Maybe this one is closer to the real story.

It's official: Quarles joins Hendrix at Furman

Obviously brought in primarily for offensive input but not necessarily in the traditional OC role.

hey, its Furman... not a football factory....I'm sure input by all of the coaches is considered, discussed, and planned depending on what they need to win/develop their players.

Here is their website. they list an OC, and its not Quarles. Could he have input, sure. but input don't matter squat if they play calling doesn't match up.

Football - Furman

and here is an article where it is specifically mentioned that they brought in their offensive coordinator to be the offensive coordinator. crazy I know. and this was a guy who had been their OC in the past and had lead some good offenses back in the day.

Cronic named offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach at Furman

and you also side stepped my point. does any Associate Head Coach that isn't a coordinator override the coordinator they work under?

Here is their website. they list an OC, and its not Quarles. Could he have input, sure. but input don't matter squat if they play calling doesn't match up.

Football - Furman

and here is an article where it is specifically mentioned that they brought in their offensive coordinator to be the offensive coordinator. crazy I know. and this was a guy who had been their OC in the past and had lead some good offenses back in the day.

Cronic named offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach at Furman

and you also side stepped my point. does any Associate Head Coach that isn't a coordinator override the coordinator they work under?

I'm aware of everything you cite and have side stepped nothing. Please note I've mostly been citing sources and operating in the interrogative vs the assertive. Quarles was obviously brought in primarily for the purpose of helping the offense. How much? I have no idea and haven't claimed otherwise.

The only thing I'll specifically assert on my own opinion is I find it pretty dubious that he left the golden position he had as Maryville's AD and HC (winningest HS coach in the nation the past decade) just to fart around as the TE coach at Furman. If he wasn't promised a huge role I can't reconcile his accepting the position in the first place.

VN Store

Back