Finebaum roasts Harbaugh

Finebaum is at his best when he's hating on Michigan. Michigan is, without a doubt, the most overrated program in the history of college football and Bo Schembechler is the most overrated figure in sports history. I'm talking college and pro, and including not only coaches but all players and executives/admin people. The myth around that guy is so much bigger than his actual level of performance. If you think I'm overstating things, pull up a list of every football season they've ever played and look at what Schembechler achieved in particular. It isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination; in fact, it is quite good, but that isn't the point. Stack up their actual performance against the public perception of the program.

Their fanbase is also among the most delusional and entitled in all of sports.

Reactions: 3 people
Hasn't finished higher than 3rd in his division since he got the job.

His first season (taking over a 5-7 team) lost to a very good MSU team because the punter ****ed up on a highly improbable play, and then a very good OSU team

Second season they slipped up at Iowa, then went to the shoe and should have won. OSU was just lucky

Last edited:
Second highest paid coach in the country with middling results. $2 million more than Dabo Swinney, $3 million more than Urban Meyer.

His first season (taking over a 5-7 team) lost to a very good MSU team because the punter ****ed up on a highly improbable play, and then a very good OSU team

Second season they slipped up at Iowa, then went to the shoe and should have won. OSU was just lucky

No worse than losing to bad UF teams on a fluke TDs in 15 and 17

He hasnt landed a big name QB yet -- the John O'Korns and Wilton Speights types arent going to win NCs

That's why I'm giving it 3 years. He's going to have to get a good QB and also know it's stupid to throw a million times in a monsoon.

Finebaum is at his best when he's hating on Michigan. Michigan is, without a doubt, the most overrated program in the history of college football and Bo Schembechler is the most overrated figure in sports history. I'm talking college and pro, and including not only coaches but all players and executives/admin people. The myth around that guy is so much bigger than his actual level of performance. If you think I'm overstating things, pull up a list of every football season they've ever played and look at what Schembechler achieved in particular. It isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination; in fact, it is quite good, but that isn't the point. Stack up their actual performance against the public perception of the program.

Overrated? Maybe this year, yes. Offense is pathetic, but their D can keep them in almost any game with the hope the their QB won't throw an INT and maybe a RB can break on. But most overrated all time? Well...

Desmond Howard says "What? Couldn't hear you, my Super bowl ring was in one ear and my Heisman trophy and Super Bowl MVP trophy got in the way of the other."

And Charles Woodson says "come and get my hardware bro."

And Tom Brady is the GOAT.

And the school had the most wins of all time, but yeah, they suck...

Reactions: 2 people

Eh, I'd go with Notre dame on that one

Overrated? Maybe this year, yes. Offense is pathetic, but their D can keep them in almost any game with the hope the their QB won't throw an INT and maybe a RB can break on. But most overrated all time? Well...

Desmond Howard says "What? Couldn't hear you, my Super bowl ring was in one ear and my Heisman trophy and Super Bowl MVP trophy got in the way of the other."

Tom Brady was meh at Michigan. Woodson is a very good cornerback. Loved Howard. They played kindergarten teams to rack up many of those wins.

Your first argument to show that they aren't overrated is to mention a couple of Heisman winners they've had? As if other schools don't have that many or more? Their biggest rival (Ohio St) has 7 Heismans won by 6 different guys. So they're not overrated because Desmond Howard and Charles Woodson won Heismans there? Did you know that Michigan has as many Heisman winners as Army?

Tom Brady is the greatest NFL QB of all time. He was a good college player. Split playing time with Drew Henson for a significant portion of his college career.

They also have the most wins of all time because they've fielded a team for a longer period of time than most other schools.

Do you know how many national titles Michigan has won since 1950? Half of one. You know how many national titles Schembechler won? Zero. You know what his record in the Rose Bowl was? 2-8.

Eh, I'd go with Notre dame on that one

Notre Dame has been overrated since the early 90s, agreed. Michigan has been overrated for pretty much all of modern college football history. Notre Dame at least has 8 national titles since they've been doing the AP Poll. Michigan has 1.5; a full title from 1948 and a split title in 1997. Lord Schembechler, who Michigan fans will tell you is Nick Saban, Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, and Urban Meyer rolled into one, didn't win a single national title.

So much of the aura surrounding their program is myth. This isn't to say they are a bad program. Just highly overrated.

Last edited:

Notre Dame would like a word with you.

Maybe it’s cause I lived there for a little while but I’ve always kinda liked Michigan. Lots of history, iconic uniforms and a big stadium. Reminds me of us in a lot of ways. Now I did make fun of them because in their Walmarts and Meyers they had Jim Harbaugh khaki sections complete with shirt, hat and pants. That was quite comical.

VN Store

Back