Gary Andersen texts... yikes

On one hand it's kind of admirable that he just tore up his contract. On the other hand he should have finished out the season with the players he recruited and the coaches he hired.

As bad as any fan might feel after a loss, no matter how much money we have invested, it doesn't compare in the slightest to how coaches and players feel.

My question is...did Anderson consider this Canzano guy a friend? The "columnist" doesn't give any context as to what was said before the texts or if these were statements intented for the public to see. Some of those texts seem a little personal, as though they werent meant to be seen by the public. Maybe I missed the part where Anderson gave this guy permission to put these texts up for everyone to read.

Either way what he said wasn't too crazy. Sounded like the man knew he created a bad situation and didn't want to make the university foot the bill for his mistakes. Some would even say that's an honorable thing to do...

He got paid $7.5 million for his time at Oregon state, $4.4 million from Wisconsin, and $1.6 million from Utah State.

If he never coaches in any capacity again, he'll not want for much else.

Reactions: 1 person
Ok, so there indeed was more to it than "he's such a great guy and didn't want to take money from the school he thinks he didn't earn." Knew that story sounded too good to be true. He's crazy.

The main thing I got from those texts was that he's a typical old person texting that uses way too much punctuation

(No offense, old people)

Everyone calling him crazy. Do you think Dooley "earned" his buyout? I think it's refreshing to see a coach that (expletive) the bed, realize he's going to put the program deeper into the wilderness with the buyout.

I've never quite gotten my head around the concept of a job, that if you screw up, and get fired, you automatically win the lottery.

Everyone calling him crazy. Do you think Dooley "earned" his buyout? I think it's refreshing to see a coach that (expletive) the bed, realize he's going to put the program deeper into the wilderness with the buyout.

I've never quite gotten my head around the concept of a job, that if you screw up, and get fired, you automatically win the lottery.

There's a ton of money in college football and a pretty limited group of people that can be head coaches.

Also, agents are much better than athletic directors in negotiating contracts. Jimmy Sexton negotiates contracts all day long and it's his career. ADs have to fundraise, administer a program, do PR, make staffing decisions, etc.; negotiating contracts is just part of their job.

Does the headline writer make extra money for the phrase "Rooted in Beaver"? I am guessing (strongly) yes.

VN Store

Back