Gary Anderson and Oregon State parting ways

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Pretty interesting coaching opening. Thought that would work out better.

Why exactly did he leave Wisconsin again? I don't believe him when he said he left because academics are too hard there, unless the two recruiting classes he put together were truly atrocious and he wanted out before those guys started getting a lot of playing time.

His tenure at Oregon St was an unmitigated disaster. He inherited a 5-7 team and went 2-10, 4-8, and was 1-5 so far this season.

Really odd situation. Can't believe he left Wisconsin for Oregon State.

Good news is this would be a great landing spot for Butch.

Why exactly did he leave Wisconsin again? I don't believe him when he said he left because academics are too hard there, unless the two recruiting classes he put together were truly atrocious and he wanted out before those guys started getting a lot of playing time.

His tenure at Oregon St was an unmitigated disaster. He inherited a 5-7 team and went 2-10, 4-8, and was 1-5 so far this season.

Alvarez is still heavily involved in that program. Bielema left for the same reason.

Alvarez is still heavily involved in that program. Bielema left for the same reason.

"Heavily involved" as in a bad, micromanaging-type of way?

That's still amazing that Bielema left after 3 straight Rose Bowl appearances and Andersen left after an appearance in the Big 10 title game (admittedly after losing by 59). Neither one of them have been able to replicate the success they had at Wisconsin.

And they agreed to mutually part ways. Meaning he forfeited all the money due to him for the balance of his contract which is over $12.5 million!!

IIRC, he said he left for family reasons. What are you speaking in reference to?

They have dirt on him

It's a shame that's what people automatically think.

If I got paid $7M+ to do a job poorly in 2.5 years and I already had a few million in the bank, I would not feel good at all about taking a buyout.

The buyout doesn't seem like it should be for failures. It should be for coaches who did OK, but the team is looking for an upgrade.

If I got paid $7M+ to do a job poorly in 2.5 years and I already had a few million in the bank, I would not feel good at all about taking a buyout.

The buyout doesn't seem like it should be for failures. It should be for coaches who did OK, but the team is looking for an upgrade.

How many other coaches have ever voluntarily given up their buyouts?

Voluntarily, not like Freeze that was fired for cause.

It is a shame, but it's a a reflection of the profession.

How many other coaches have ever voluntarily given up their buyouts?

Voluntarily, not like Freeze that was fired for cause.

That might mean that they don't have integrity.

Fulmer kept the money, right? Fulmer had 2 bad seasons in like 16 years. I can see why he thinks he deserves a buyout. Dooley did not deserve a buyout.

Fulmer kept the money, right? Fulmer had 2 bad seasons in like 16 years. I can see why he thinks he deserves a buyout. Dooley did not deserve a buyout.

No coach worth anything is going to say "if I suck (as defined by XYZ), I forfeit my buyout" in a contract. There is just way too much money at stake, especially for a coach who hasn't truly "gotten paid" yet. The money they make while employed and as part of a buyout is life-changing.

It's the world we live in, Huff. Don't blame the coaches for that. Blame their agents and lawyers for writing that language into the contracts.

No coach worth anything is going to say "if I suck (as defined by XYZ), I forfeit my buyout" in a contract. There is just way too much money at stake, especially for a coach who hasn't truly "gotten paid" yet. The money they make while employed and as part of a buyout is life-changing.

One year of salary is life-changing. I could retire off half of Anderson's annual salary.

If it's the difference between being rich and being richer, there are some people who put integrity first. It's not exactly the most common thing, but it'd be sad to assume that someone has dirt on the person, when the truth would be the opposite.

We could start seeing some interesting rumors.

VN Store

Back