Alabama has gone 8 games (589 offensive plays)

Notice how the Alabama assistants come and go and yet players are coached up and they win 11 or more games every season -- Vols assts are constantly garbage coaches

Reactions: 3 people
Not even kinda. I despise Alabama and everything about their program but you have to respect it. We won’t see another run like this in our lifetime from a program.

Unless of course Tennessee gets Chip Kelly :wacko:

Notice how the Alabama assistants come and go and yet players are coached up and they win 11 or more games every season -- Vols assts are constantly garbage coaches

Alabama assistant coaches have assistants. Also, they have an entire separate army of assistants and "volunteers" that assemble all the leg work stuff for recruiting. They can focus on finding pure player coaches and plug them into that system. The entire organization gets whatever it needs from the Athletic Department. The whole thing is ran like a NFL team. I'm not even going to get into how many Alabama graduates/fans are in the SEC/NCAA offices.

Nick Saban is a great coach no doubt. But the entire foundation of that program is set up for success.

Last edited:
DLUfkBuVwAAjdCT.jpg:large

Alabama assistant coaches have assistants. Also, they have an entire separate army of assistants and "volunteers" that assemble all the leg work stuff for recruiting. They can focus on finding pure player coaches and plug them into that system. The entire organization gets whatever it needs from the Athletic Department. The whole thing is ran like a NFL team.

There's a bit of a chicken or the egg thing going on.

I would argue that they get whatever they need from the athletic department because Saban has proven that investment will be worthwhile; they aren't successful just because they get unlimited support from the admin. In Saban's earlier years, he was successful just because he's an incredible coach. The admin over time recognizes this and begins to give him virtually unlimited support.

Saban would never admit this himself because it is against his ethos of never being complacent, but the program runs like a machine now. You are totally right about it being run like an NFL team. I don't even think they really have to recruit anymore. All the top players just want to come to Alabama because they know they'll be in the NFL in 3 years, and they can pick and choose from among all the 5-stars the best ones for their system. But this is the case because Saban built the machine during his first 3 years there.

From a motivation perspective, the thing I give Saban the most credit for is not letting guys rest on their laurels. If you are a highly touted high school player or have already won a title at Alabama, how easy would it be for you to think you don't have to work to continue to win? We see other teams get complacent after a single big win, much less conference or national titles, yet Saban never seems to have guys with those attitudes on his teams. Or if they do have that attitude, they definitely don't play like it. I don't quite know how he does it.

Reactions: 1 person
The sad part about this is Bama doesn't even have to cheat anymore. Just like Calipari at UK.

Alabama assistant coaches have assistants. Also, they have an entire separate army of assistants and "volunteers" that assemble all the leg work stuff for recruiting. They can focus on finding pure player coaches and plug them into that system. The entire organization gets whatever it needs from the Athletic Department. The whole thing is ran like a NFL team. I'm not even going to get into how many Alabama graduates/fans are in the SEC/NCAA offices.

Nick Saban is a great coach no doubt. But the entire foundation of that program is set up for success.

Staff helps, but I am having a hard time understanding how a large recruiting staff off the field keeps players from being stripped of the ball or throwing an interception occasionally.

It is probably a statistical anomaly, and may even out by the end of the year. Teams can be more or less prone to turnovers due to lack of coaching, but even the best players in the NFL take a mental dump every now and then.

There's a bit of a chicken or the egg thing going on.

I would argue that they get whatever they need from the athletic department because Saban has proven that investment will be worthwhile; they aren't successful just because they get unlimited support from the admin. In Saban's earlier years, he was successful just because he's an incredible coach. The admin over time recognizes this and begins to give him virtually unlimited support.

Saban would never admit this himself because it is against his ethos of never being complacent, but the program runs like a machine now. You are totally right about it being run like an NFL team. I don't even think they really have to recruit anymore. All the top players just want to come to Alabama because they know they'll be in the NFL in 3 years, and they can pick and choose from among all the 5-stars the best ones for their system. But this is the case because Saban built the machine during his first 3 years there.

From a motivation perspective, the thing I give Saban the most credit for is not letting guys rest on their laurels. If you are a highly touted high school player or have already won a title at Alabama, how easy would it be for you to think you don't have to work to continue to win? We see other teams get complacent after a single big win, much less conference or national titles, yet Saban never seems to have guys with those attitudes on his teams. Or if they do have that attitude, they definitely don't play like it. I don't quite know how he does it.

Saban has an incredibly strict and regimented work ethic. If you work for him, Bama football comes before family. He lives it, and commands it. From players and coaches. He runs his job as a HC should and delegates to his subordinates. And as much, he also accepts full responsibility for short comings. He doesn't diss anyone. Even Kiffin after he is gone. Like or hate all you want. He is the epitomy of how to manage a program. If your priorities are different, say family or anything else first, that's fine. Just work somewhere else. The system he has built, with all the assistants, and assistant's assistant's, is probably to provide some personal time to coaches and families in order to make it all work. And I'm sure all this is an understatement.

Staff helps, but I am having a hard time understanding how a large recruiting staff off the field keeps players from being stripped of the ball or throwing an interception occasionally.

It is probably a statistical anomaly, and may even out by the end of the year. Teams can be more or less prone to turnovers due to lack of coaching, but even the best players in the NFL take a mental dump every now and then.

A lot of truth to that as well. QB's will sometimes get the hot hand and go quite a few attempts without an INT. Doesn't make them immune to it. When Bama does cough one up, it won't blossom. It'll just be a blip on the radar.

In fairness, Hurts and Tagovailoa each threw a pass directly to an Ole Miss defensive back, who proceeded to drop it. Sometime you just get lucky.

Last edited:
In fairness, Hurts and Tagovailoa threw a pass each directly to an Ole Miss defensive back, who proceeded to drop it. Sometime you just get lucky.

I was about to say, you have to chalk some of it up to luck too. How many fumbles have they had in this streak that they've recovered themselves?

VN Store

Back