hawn Eichorst is out as Nebraska's AD

Hoosier_Vol

Vol Stuck in B1G 10 Hell
BREAKING: Nebraska has ended the employment of Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst, the school announced Thursday.

The removal comes in the wake of a 1-2 start to the 2017 football season under Eichorst hire Mike Riley, who has gone 16-13 so far as head coach of the Huskers.

Wow. He was fielding a lot of questions about Riley's job security the other day, but got fired himself first.

Nebraska and Tennessee have football programs that are in very similar positions (traditional powers far removed from glory years, difficult to recruit in-state, high expectations). We're in a better spot than they are though.

Last edited:
The extension he gave Riley caused it --- I guess Currie was smart on that front by not giving CBJ one

Reactions: 1 person
Nebraska should have never left the Big12.

I think they were afraid at the time that the Big 12 was about to implode and they wanted out. It's still intact, so that move kind of looks bad.

They really aren't a good fit in the Big 10.

The extension he gave Riley caused it --- I guess Currie was smart on that front by not giving CBJ one

The extension they gave him though wasn't very large; it was just one of those one-year "courtesy" extensions they almost have to hand out for recruiting purposes and didn't increase his salary. It wasn't as bad as that contract extension that Hamilton gave Fulmer the year before he fired him; that one involved a raise.

The extension they gave him though wasn't very large; it was just one of those one-year "courtesy" extensions they almost have to hand out for recruiting purposes and didn't increase his salary. It wasn't as bad as that contract extension that Hamilton gave Fulmer the year before he fired him; that one involved a raise.

Maybe his mouth caused it then -- the public rant last Saturday after the loss -- he hired the guy and then throws him under the bus -- doesnt look very professional or smart to the school

Maybe his mouth caused it then -- the public rant last Saturday after the loss -- he hired the guy and then throws him under the bus -- doesnt look very professional or smart to the school

This is the first thing that I thought of also

I think they were afraid at the time that the Big 12 was about to implode and they wanted out. It's still intact, so that move kind of looks bad.

They really aren't a good fit in the Big 10.

No they are not. And I'm sure they have lost recruiting as well moving to the B1G. Alot of this conference realignment has been detrimental more than helpful to most. All the way back to the Big East busting up in football. Rutgers definitely not Big10 school. Syracuse does not belong in the ACC. Maryland does not belong in the Big10. Louisville would have been better suited for the Big12 geographically. Too much expansion waters down the regional rivalries, and the games make no sense for conference play. Mizzou is a stretch at best geographically for the SEC, as is A&M (Although they are much better competition and a better fit university wise).

And then ND playing a 5 game ACC schedule. I think the whole conference landscape makes it difficult for coaches to recruit to schools that are no longer where they should be.

No they are not. And I'm sure they have lost recruiting as well moving to the B1G. Alot of this conference realignment has been detrimental more than helpful to most. All the way back to the Big East busting up in football. Rutgers definitely not Big10 school. Syracuse does not belong in the ACC. Maryland does not belong in the Big10. Louisville would have been better suited for the Big12 geographically. Too much expansion waters down the regional rivalries, and the games make no sense for conference play. Mizzou is a stretch at best geographically for the SEC, as is A&M (Although they are much better competition and a better fit university wise).

I'm not a fan of Texas, but it is amazing how much they contributed to changing the conference landscape when they intimated they might leave the Big 12. Nebraska wanted out and joined the Big 10, where they don't belong. Mizzou and A&M wanted out and joined the SEC.

Louisville and Syracuse joining the ACC was made with basketball in mind, not football, so I can see the rationale there. Rutgers is one of those schools without a conference that wouldn't fit well anywhere. Geographically they are an ACC school.

I'm not a fan of Texas, but it is amazing how much they contributed to changing the conference landscape when they intimated they might leave the Big 12. Nebraska wanted out and joined the Big 10, where they don't belong. Mizzou and A&M wanted out and joined the SEC.

Louisville and Syracuse joining the ACC was made with basketball in mind, not football, so I can see the rationale there. Rutgers is one of those schools without a conference that wouldn't fit well anywhere. Geographically they are an ACC school.

Actually, I'd say Texas pushed Nebraska and the others out by picking up the Longhorn Network.

Actually, I'd say Texas pushed Nebraska and the others out by picking up the Longhorn Network.

Wasn't the creation of the Longhorn Network just part of the whole deal with them potentially leaving the Big 12? "Hey look everyone, we're Texas, don't need a conference, we have our own TV channel, etc.)?

I'm going to guess Alberts as AD and Scott Frost as HC once Riley is fired at year-end.

I don't know about Scott Frost. I checked out a couple of NU message boards today and the response to Frost being the next HC was lukewarm, at best. They eventually want him there, but don't believe he's proven enough yet. That's why Craig Bohl makes sense. He's likely got another 8-10 years left in his coaching career. At that point Frost, who would still only be in his late 40's/early50's, and could take over if he's established himself as a legit top tier coach.

Wasn't the creation of the Longhorn Network just part of the whole deal with them potentially leaving the Big 12? "Hey look everyone, we're Texas, don't need a conference, we have our own TV channel, etc.)?

You could be correct. That was when they were discussing moving to the Pac 10. Though at the time, the Big 12 was Texas and then everyone else.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Mike Riley is one of the most overrated coaches in all of sports. Horrible hire from the jump.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Alberts is pretty safe bet as new AD, what I'm gathering from fans is that Craig Bohl and Jeff Brohm are their coaching wish list. I don't see Brohm leaving after one year at Purdue even for NU and his pass happy/gimmick offense doesn't fit NU's traditional run offense.

I think Alberts is pretty safe bet as new AD, what I'm gathering from fans is that Craig Bohl and Jeff Brohm are their coaching wish list. I don't see Brohm leaving after one year at Purdue even for NU and his pass happy/gimmick offense doesn't fit NU's traditional run offense.

Tradition is crap.

VN Store

Back