SIAP: UK is reigning Champion Of Life

UT Hill Man

I ♥ Big Jugs
Honestly, I think it's a long shot for us to win it back this year - unless Kentucky manages to be 7-0 when we travel to Lexington. If the Gators take care of the Cats, then how long will they hang on to the trophy - and who will beat them?

AJxo7Jw.png

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/8/22/16176058/life-championship-belt-butch-jones

Reactions: 2 people
UT wouldn't get a chance to win it from UK even if UK wins against UF. UK would most likely be ranked which disqualifies you from being the Champions of Life, so it would be defaulted back to UT (given UT is unranked).

UK gets the title when the fans storm the field after the win over UF Saturday -- just dont do it until the clock hits zero this time

UT wouldn't get a chance to win it from UK even if UK wins against UF. UK would most likely be ranked which disqualifies you from being the Champions of Life, so it would be defaulted back to UT (given UT is unranked).

No no no. UT was ranked during their title reign.

It's kind of entertaining to see where this coveted award ends up at each week. Once an out of conference teams beats the incumbent, the possibilities of where the belt can end up gets pretty interesting.

UK gets the title when the fans storm the field after the win over UF Saturday -- just dont do it until the clock hits zero this time

If Florida beats Kentucky this week, and then Vandy knocks off Florida on September 30, then I believe Vandy will be the first 2X champion of life. Vanderbilt finally trending high where it matters in Mason's 4th year.

Reactions: 1 person
I think they have this Champions of Life thing the wrong way around. Butch made the comment to deflect from what was a disappointing season and losing games he should have won. It's a consolation prize and really should go to the loser, not winner, of the next game.

He said "Champions of Life" the week of the Vandy game last year if I'm not mistaken. We lost to Vandy, so we retained the Life Championship. Nebraska lost to us in the bowl, so they took the title at that point. Arkansas State then lost to Nebraska, but I think the title it should be limited to P5 schools only (otherwise, the title ends up going to a non-P5 or FCS school and perpetually stays down there), so Nebraska retained it. Nebraska then lost to Oregon and Northern Illinois (non-P5, so wouldn't matter if they won anyway), so they still retain the Life Championship.

Nebraska looks awful so far this year but I think they have a decent chance to give it to Rutgers this Saturday.

I think they have this Champions of Life thing the wrong way around. Butch made the comment to deflect from what was a disappointing season and losing games he should have won. It's a consolation prize and really should go to the loser, not winner, of the next game.

I look at it slightly differently. I think it should go to the winner, but I think it should only be held by teams that aren't actual champions of anything. So, I think Florida should not be eligible to win the belt on Saturday because they won the East last year. So Kentucky will retain the title until they lose to someone who is also irrelevant. I like SB Nation's idea that ranked teams are ineligible, but that is overly strict in my view, because unless you are ranked in the Top 4 you are still irrelevant.

Last edited:
I look at it slightly differently. I think it should go to the winner, but I think it should only be held by teams that aren't actual champions of anything. So, I think Florida should not be eligible to win the belt on Saturday because they won the East last year. So Kentucky will retain the title until they lose to someone who is also irrelevant. I like SB Nation's idea that ranked teams are ineligible, but that is overly strict in my view, because unless you are ranked in the Top 4 you are still irrelevant.

And UT was ranked when they were declared champions of life to begin with. Soooo screw it. UF shouldn't be ranked anyways. So I'm going with UF as reigning champs.

Since UGA is ranked, that makes Saturday a non-title match. Good to know we’ll leave the stadium with something of value.

Vandy had 3 current scholar-players try to rob North Nashville gangbangers with a toy gun and one former scholar-player sentenced to 15 yrs in prison for agg sexual assault. No Champions of Life for them.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back