Urban Meyer Tired of First Year Coaches' Excuses

Hoosier_Vol

Vol Stuck in B1G 10 Hell
Like the guy or not, this is funny interesting since Herman was his assistant.

Ohio State coach Urban Meyer is tired of hearing first-year coaches complain about the players they inherit, saying it drives him "insane."

"It's like a new generation of excuse," Meyer told CBSsports.com. "[Texas coach Tom Herman] said, 'I can't rub pixie dust on this thing.' He got a dose of reality. Maryland just scored 51 points on you."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20616982/urban-meyer-says-first-year-coach-insane-complaining-players

Reactions: 2 people
Absolutely makes you wonder what Herman did to piss Meyer off recently. Otherwise, he would not have turned all junk yard attack dog on him, like this.

He's is right though. Elite coaches turn it around almost immediately. Especially if you leave them players that are talented on paper. Look no further than what Jim Harbaugh did year 1 with Michigan. Saban had Alabama #1 in the country in year 2. Meyer won a national title in year 2 as well in Florida and Ohio State.

The truly elite coaches turn it around immediately especially if you leave them talent.

I think he is probably right, but I don't think he is the right person to say it. imo

LSU was semi-courting Herman, although people were talking as he if he was a grand slam hire... its actually the opposite... he was a very expensive $5m with limited experience as a HC at a smaller school chance. If he would have made it to Baton Rouge, would he be crying because 13 players were suspended?

With that said, Meyers left Florida in a bad way. He is right, you play with the guys you have and if you don't embrace those guys... that's on you the coach. "We're a team... when I get all my recruits in here in 3 years." lol

Reactions: 1 person
Not a Urban fan by any means but I agree with him on this issue. Elite coaches turn things around quickly and when you sign the contract you know what you have to work with so no reason to whine about talent first year.

I don't know. I think Urban saw the reality that Alabama was going to have a hold on the SEC for a while, got the h*ll out while he could.

As far as first year coaches are concerned the circumstances are different for every one of them. Herman has some talent to work with. Does seem like more and more teams are not playing any defense these days. 50-45 score games seem to be becoming more frequent, and not just isolated to late night pac-12 games anymore.

Easy for urban to say, when he went to florida after zook recruited a crap ton of talent. Then he goes to a loaded Ohio State. Nick saban couldn't have won with the talent cbj inherited at Tennessee

Ohio State coach Urban Meyer is tired of hearing first-year coaches complain about the players they inherit, saying it drives him "insane."

"It's like a new generation of excuse," Meyer told CBSsports.com. "[Texas coach Tom Herman] said, 'I can't rub pixie dust on this thing.' He got a dose of reality. Maryland just scored 51 points on you."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20616982/urban-meyer-says-first-year-coach-insane-complaining-players

Not every took over rosters as loaded as Oh St and FL

He's is right though. Elite coaches turn it around almost immediately. Especially if you leave them players that are talented on paper. Look no further than what Jim Harbaugh did year 1 with Michigan. Saban had Alabama #1 in the country in year 2. Meyer won a national title in year 2 as well in Florida and Ohio State.

The truly elite coaches turn it around immediately especially if you leave them talent.

Even Nick Saban wasn't elite until he was. He didn't turn Michigan St. around immediately, and he didn't even turn LSU into a contender immediately either. His success in the latter hakf of his career is what has made him elite. He didn't just start off that way.

Meyer is the only coach I can think of that has won pretty big immediately at every place he's been, but at Florida and Ohio St., he already had the talent.

This is why I hate Urban Cryer...he abandoned Gators after Tebow left because he knew the cupboard at Fla was empty--crying about a heart condition and wanting to spend time with family...

And then less than 1 yr later takes the OSU job--where Tressel had built a program ready for a NC run...

What a wussified hypocrite......I hope PSU and Meechugan whoop the sheet out of that arrogant sack of pus....

And TEXAS is a dumpster fire of a program....Herman cannot overcome the past years of ineptitude in one game....

But he'll recover and do fine....

Urban Meyer abandoned UF cause of "Heart Conditions". Tebow wasn't going to be their QB no more. He knew he wouldn't have a chance against Saban in the SEC.

He's the last person that needs to be complaining about other coaches "excuses".

Such a hypocrite.

Urban Meyer abandoned UF cause of "Heart Conditions". Tebow wasn't going to be their QB no more. He knew he wouldn't have a chance against Saban in the SEC.

He's the last person that needs to be complaining about other coaches "excuses".

Such a hypocrite.

Dumb. So then he went to OSU and won a national championship. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he beat Alabama along the way? :eek:lol:

I think he is probably right, but I don't think he is the right person to say it. imo

LSU was semi-courting Herman, although people were talking as he if he was a grand slam hire... its actually the opposite... he was a very expensive $5m with limited experience as a HC at a smaller school chance. If he would have made it to Baton Rouge, would he be crying because 13 players were suspended?

With that said, Meyers left Florida in a bad way. He is right, you play with the guys you have and if you don't embrace those guys... that's on you the coach. "We're a team... when I get all my recruits in here in 3 years." lol

With Jimbo Fisher a pipe dream, Herman was Plan A for you. When Texas lost to Kansas you had no shot at beating out Texas for his services and this shady narrative got spun. No way Ogre was your preference. If Herman had said 5 mil would get him to Baton Rouge, purple and gold checkbooks would have flown.

Dumb. So then he went to OSU and won a national championship. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he beat Alabama along the way? :eek:lol:

We're talking about his time at UF, not Ohio St.

It might sound dumb to you but you defending a coward doesn't surprise me one bit.

Urban never took over a program that has been a dump for years on end. Texas was cratered by Mack Brown. Charlie Strong had to sleep in the damn dorms to keep players from getting into trouble...Meyer just paid the local cops to not care. When he got to Ohio state, the past 3 recruiting classes were #17, #8, #5....real tough job to walk into, right? Ron Zook had a couple of top 10 classes before we waltzed into Gainesville...Urban Meyer was born on 3rd base and acts like he hit a triple. Anyone notice the most well known thing he's done at Ohio st since Tom Herman left was getting shut out by Clemson in the playoffs he had to weasel into? Then struggle with Indiana for 3 quarters?

Probably another heart attack coming on....off to Notre Dame and another stacked roster once Kelly gets canned...then he'll REALLY back into some good preseason rankings and playoff games then. 8-4 and in the playoffs, ranked #1...smh.

Texas is a complete overhaul. That roster isn't as talented as anyone thinks. In 2005, it's blue chip ratio was the same as Alabamas is now....right now Texas has less talent than Tennessee does. But they still have the egos and entitlement of Alabama.

And all these people acting like Saban just started coaching the year before he won a national title, he was a head coach for around 8-9 years (Toledo, Mich St, LSU) before winning his first national championship...and didn't even have back to back double digit wins at any program until he got to Alabama...

Urban Meyer was a head coach for around 5-6 years at 3 different schools (Bowling Green, Utah, Florida) before he won his first natty at Florida...

Bobby Bowden got his first HC job at Samford in 1959....was a HC at West Virginia for 5 years before going to Florida state in 1976 and didn't win his first national title until 1993....

So please, cut the "insta-coach" crap. It doesn't exist. It takes years for a great HC to develop himself into a championship contender. People always put so much emphasis on player development but so little thought on coaching development and the time and multiple jobs it takes to get to that point as a coach.

Dabo started as an assistant at Clemson in 2003 and became HC in 2008 and didn't win a national title until 8 years into his HC job at Clemson...

Last edited:

VN Store

Back