USC and Penn St

jbr82

I understand that they don't play in the SEC, but....it amazes me how deep dodo they were in few yrs ago and how quickly they are back in the top 10. When will the Vols do the same?

Reactions: 1 person
USC has a major advantage in never having to leave LA to recruit. JF is a hell of a coach and a great recruiter, I'm glad PSU is good maybe they can put Urbie and Harbaugh in their place

Every situation is different and unique. Tennessee's issues were that it is "landlocked" as far as recruiting trails are concerned. When Butch got here he had to start from zero and build up the local football as well as the Georgia, Florida, and Texas recruiting. He is now branching out to Alabama. Penn state gets all the recruits from their area and South Carolina is a rich recruiting area. Tennessee is becoming a known talent base because Butch is helping build it up to have something to pull from.

Not to mention he had to build relations with pretty much EVERYONE from day one. Butch is building a program from scratch.

USC will ALWAYS bounce back fast from any type of scandal or incidents. Like Sin City Vol said they never have to leave LA to recruit 4 & 5 star players.

All comments are true. In the day when TN was in the top 10 we got ballers out of Va, NC, Ga, Fl for the most part. And TN hs talent is growing so that is a plus.

I believe our talent was top 10-15 the last couple yrs. With Texas cruiting base they should be top 10 every yr....crutin and development makes a huge difference

I think USC is a false flag (again). The media keep hoping and wanting them to be top 10, and for their QB or RB to be a heisman candidate, because that's a huge media market. But they keep proving they were over-rated, year after year. They've been no good since Carroll left, and aren't looking to be good (poll voting to the contrary) any time soon.

Funny thing is that the media have now leapt across town to UCLA for the heisman thing, at least. As long as it's the same media market, it'll work. :)

Penn State, on the other hand, they truly did rise from the ashes quickly. Got a lot of help from the volte-face ESPN, followed by the NCAA, took when folks started saying, "don't be mean to poor Penn State, the coaches are dead or in jail and these young players weren't even here when all that happened!" So now they're rehabilitated and all is forgiven, schollys are back. And to James Franklin's credit, he knew it was a good pool to dive into, and has made the most of it.

Last edited:
I understand that they don't play in the SEC, but....it amazes me how deep dodo they were in few yrs ago and how quickly they are back in the top 10. When will the Vols do the same?

Were you in comma last year? Or did you forget were in the top 10 for several weeks until we lost to Alabama in late October.

Were you in comma last year? Or did you forget were in the top 10 for several weeks until we lost to Alabama in late October.

and played in the Music City Bowl once everything played out. Meanwhile, PSU and USC met in the Rose Bowl. This is a stretch even for the biggest troll on this board.

Reactions: 1 person

When we pay a real coaching staff...

Every situation is different and unique. Tennessee's issues were that it is "landlocked" as far as recruiting trails are concerned. When Butch got here he had to start from zero and build up the local football as well as the Georgia, Florida, and Texas recruiting. He is now branching out to Alabama. Penn state gets all the recruits from their area and South Carolina is a rich recruiting area. Tennessee is becoming a known talent base because Butch is helping build it up to have something to pull from.

Didn't realize State had that much pull in South Carolina.

End times.

I got it! Let's break the bank on Freeze!!! Let's throw everything we got on a real winner like Freeze!

On USC: Thats the advantage of having VFL Tee Martin as OC. Why dont we have Tee Martin as OC? Love that guy.

On USC: Thats the advantage of having VFL Tee Martin as OC. Why dont we have Tee Martin as OC? Love that guy.

Because he got in with the wrong crowd and then talked smack about UT. Not saying it can't be fixed but he left a bad taste in our mouth.

USC has a major advantage in never having to leave LA to recruit. JF is a hell of a coach and a great recruiter, I'm glad PSU is good maybe they can put Urbie and Harbaugh in their place

Franklin is in a good position at PSU because he can recruit those tough, blue-collar kids out of PA, eastern OH, and the upper East Coast, plus he still has recruiting connections in the South from his time at Vandy.

VN Store

Back