What you watching this weekend? [week 2]

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
[Or week 1, if you're one of those who called last weekend "week zero"]

The college season is in full swing, finally! And yes, it is football time in Tennessee, come Monday night.

Whole lot of games worth looking at.

First, the SEC matches worth paying attention to:
  • Sat, 3:00pm, South Carolina (SEC) meets NC State (ACC) in neutral-site Charlotte (on ESPN)
  • Sat, 3:30pm, #17 Florida (SEC) and #11 Michigan (B10) go at it in Arlington, Texas (on ABC)
  • Sat, 6:15pm, #15 Georgia (SEC) hosts Appalachian State (on ESPN)
  • Sat, 8:00pm, #1 Bama takes on #3 Florida State in Atlanta (ABC)
  • Sat, 8:00pm, Vandy and MTSU go at it in Murfreesboro (on CBS-SN)
  • Sat, 9:30pm, #13 LSU and BYU meet in Houston (ESPN)
  • Sun, 7:30pm, Texas A&M goes out to California to meet up with UCLA (Fox)
  • Mon, 8:00pm, our Vols meet Georgia Tech in Atlanta (ESPN)
Some of those, like our game, Bama-FSU, and FL-Mich, are super compelling. But even the littler games have interesting story lines: like can App State give Georgia fits this year the way they did us last fall? And who wins the mid-state battle, Vandy or MTSU?

So that's a lot of games to watch already, and we haven't even left the SEC. But there are a few other interesting match-ups, as well:
  • Fri, 8:00pm, Colorado State and Colorado square off (PAC-12 network)
  • Sat, 5:15pm, #4 USC hosts Western Michigan
  • Sun, 7:30pm, #22 West Virginia visits #21 Virginia Tech (ABC)
That first game is interesting in a few ways. First, Colorado State (Mtn West conf) is playing its second game in a row against the PAC. And they looked pretty good against Oregon State last Saturday. Also, one has to wonder: is this game now called the "Bong Bowl"? Heh. Anyway, it's probably the best game on Friday night. I'll catch it if I can figure out a way (PAC network? not here....)

As for USC-WMU, the latter went 13-1 last year, and only lost by a TD and 2pt conversion to Wisconsin (24-16), beating two lesser B10 teams as well. If there's going to be a monumental Power 5 vs Group of 5 upset this weekend, this could be it. Worth keeping one eye on from time to time, anyway.

The last of the three is, using rankings, the most closely-matched game of the weekend, #21 vs #22. And the coaches are both interesting guys, Dana Holgorsen and Justin Fuente. Could be a great game.

Those are the games I'm going to try to catch at least a bit of. How about you? See anything else that looks intersting?

Go Vols!

[Note: all times are Eastern]

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Definitely watching Florida and Bama, and will probably catch some of the Georgia game. Ohio State plays Indiana Thursday night as well.

And of course the good guys on Monday. Been a long off season; I'm hyped.

Reactions: 1 person
Watching Florida get crushed. And they will. Yes Michigan lost a lot of defensive players. But so did Clemson after 2015. That didn't work out how everyone figured did it?

Watching Georgia struggle with App state. Which they will do. Watch UGAs O-line vs App state D-line. That will determine that game.

Will tune here during commercials to watch South Carolina struggle with NC state. I think they lose that game personally. NC state has a nasty defensive line. South Carolina's offensive line is questionable at best.

Bama vs FSU is a toss up tbh. Whoever makes the least amount of mistakes type game. I hope Bama wins, just because we don't need Nick Saban going into crisis mode on his team after week 1 and battening down the hatches on every detail to wring every ounce of potential out of them that early in a season. Lolol.

Reactions: 2 people
Definitely want to see the Florida loss on Saturday and I'll probably watch Bama roll over Florida State as well (that's my prediction but I hope I'm wrong). I think Saban will "batten down the hatches" whether he wins or loses that game.

UGA and USCe games interesting as well.

Don't forget Thursday night though (31st). Oklahoma State plays Tulsa. You don't have to wait til Saturday for some college football.

Different year, same story, LSU game moved, postponed or cancelled. Not likely to be played in Houston.

Sat, 9:30pm, #13 LSU and BYU meet in Houston (ESPN)

Best guesses Orlando, Nashville (probably not), NOLA, Dallas, or Jacksonville.

Thursday: I'll watch either Ohio st vs Indiana or Oklahoma state vs tulsa, whichever one is more competitive, maybe switch back and forth.

Friday: there are a couple of Pac games that look intriguing. Probably Colorado vs CSU.

Saturday has several good games. Alabama/FSU, Florida/Michigan and LSU/BYU if it gets played.

Sunday: A&M/UCLA and WVU/Va Tech both look intriguing

I also think there's a game Monday :)

Different year, same story, LSU game moved, postponed or cancelled. Not likely to be played in Houston.

they'll wind up in Baton Rouge. :)

they'll wind up in Baton Rouge. :)

It's possible, but I don't know... ESPN holds the cards on this from what I was told, meaning they are in charge of getting the venue. BR flooded bad last year as well and they are suppose to get quite a bit of rain I believe this week. As of about 2pm, no decision has been made by ESPN and the teams don't know where the game will take place, also BYU doesn't play on Sundays. It could be they are waiting on the weather and it could be in the Dome, if NO doesn't get too much rain in the next day or so.

If its in Orlando, its hard imagining any type of crowd for that at this late date.

You guys and Miami are gonna have to have serious talks about switching team nicknames, if this keeps up. :)

p.s. Y'all are certainly welcome to Nashville! Lotta like for LSU in Music City (love is too strong a word; we reserve that for the Vols, Titans and Preds).

The City of Orlando is ready to welcome LSU fans with open arms.

If BYU plays against LSU like they played on Saturday, they could play the game on Mars and it wouldn't matter. They would score absolutely nothing on LSU's defense.

You guys and Miami are gonna have to have serious talks about switching team nicknames, if this keeps up. :)

p.s. Y'all are certainly welcome to Nashville! Lotta like for LSU in Music City (love is too strong a word; we reserve that for the Vols, Titans and Preds).

:hi:

I think that might be in the mix, probably better than going to Florida. lol But I believe the storm is scheduled to be potentially be up there by Saturday. Haha. Which makes all this even more funny, I would think they would have to schedule it in Florida (Jacksonville or Orlando), or probably the Dome, Arizona is a possibility but I haven't heard much on that.

Update: Looks like the track is on for north of BR possibly. LOL

Last edited:
If BYU plays against LSU like they played on Saturday, they could play the game on Mars and it wouldn't matter. They would score absolutely nothing on LSU's defense.

I think LSU could use the work for their offense one way or another, LSU has a lot of improving to do before the meat of the schedule hits. I actually think BYU has a D that could cause some issues for Canada's offense, they play real light on defense.

:hi:

I think that might be in the mix, probably better than going to Florida. lol But I believe the storm is scheduled to be potentially be up there by Saturday. Haha. Which makes all this even more funny, I would think they would have to schedule it in Florida (Jacksonville or Orlando), or probably the Dome, Arizona is a possibility but I haven't heard much on that.

Update: Looks like the track is on for north of BR possibly. LOL

Yep, just checked the Nat'l Hurricane Center. Centerline of their predictive models puts the remnants splashing across central Louisiana, then running right up the Mississippi River in time to inundate west & middle Tennessee (and surrounding states) on Saturday.

151943_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

So yep, does look like your best bet is to go to a Florida venue, or maybe out west.

Pity. Woulda loved to have had the purple & gold Tigers visiting Nashville!

Last edited:
Yep, just checked the Nat'l Hurricane Center. Centerline of their predictive models puts the remnants dumping rain over west and central Tennessee on Saturday (as well as surrounding states, it'll be that big).

So yep, does look like your best bet is to go to a Florida venue, or maybe out west.

Pity. Woulda loved to have had the purple & gold Tigers visiting Nashville!

Yeah. That would have been cool, I might have tried to make it.

Not sure where they can play. lol Orlando is probably the best bet, probably find out in the morning.

I'll be watching Okie State and Tulsa on Thursday.

Probably because I'll be at that game.

Unfortunately, OU and UTEP Saturday. Because I'll be at that one too...

Monday is mine though.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back