D4H's 2017 College Football Season Preview

Dobbs 4 Heisman

With the 2017 college football season officially kicking off tonight, here are my predictions for the upcoming season:

SEC East
1. Tennessee (12-1; 7-1) – SEC Champion (defeat Auburn in Championship Game); loss to Alabama; best win: Auburn (11-2)
2. Georgia (8-4; 5-3) – losses to Notre Dame, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Auburn
3. Florida (6-6; 4-4) – losses to Michigan, Tennessee, LSU, Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida State
4. Missouri (6-6; 3-5)
5. South Carolina (6-6; 3-5)
6. Vanderbilt (5-7; 3-5)
7. Kentucky (5-7; 3-5)

SEC West
1. Auburn (11-2; 7-1) – losses to LSU and Tennessee (in the SEC Championship game)
2. Alabama (11-1; 7-1) – loss to Auburn
3. LSU (9-3; 5-3) – losses to Ole Miss, Alabama, and Tennessee
4. Texas A&M (7-5; 4-4)
5. Arkansas (7-5; 3-5)
6. Ole Miss (6-6; 3-5)
7. Miss St. (6-6; 2-6)

Big 10
1. Michigan (13-0; 9-0) – Big 10 Champion; best win: Ohio State (9-3)
2. Ohio State (9-3; 7-2) – losses to Oklahoma, Michigan State, and Michigan

ACC
Clemson (10-3; 7-1) – ACC Champions; losses to Auburn, Florida State, and South Carolina

Big 12
Oklahoma (13-0; 9-0) – Big 12 Champions; best win: Ohio State (9-3)

Pac 12
USC (11-2; 8-1) – Pac 12 Champion (losses to Notre Dame and Arizona St.)

Independent
Notre Dame (11-1) – loss to Michigan State; best win: Pac 12 Champion USC (11-2)

2018 College Football Playoff
1. Michigan (13-0)
2. Oklahoma (13-0)
3. Tennessee (12-1)
4. Alabama (11-1)

Heisman Trophy Winner: Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma)

CFP Semifinals: Alabama defeats Michigan (Rose Bowl); Tennessee defeats Oklahoma (Sugar Bowl)

CFP National Title Game: Tennessee defeats Alabama

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
635892940393922474-1747825754_pay-attention-to-me.gif

Reactions: 8 people
Did you forget who our coach is?

He'll get out of the way this season. Our great assistant coaches and players will lead the way. Bob Shoop's defense will be dominating. Top 5-10 nationally. Larry Scott is also a huge improvement over Mike Debord. Plus with better health, our high talent level will finally shine. Especially on defense where we have a lot of future NFL players.

He'll get out of the way this season. Our great assistant coaches and players will lead the way. Bob Shoop's defense will be dominating. Top 5-10 nationally. Larry Scott is also a huge improvement over Mike Debord. Plus with better health, our high talent level will finally shine. Especially on defense where we have a lot of future NFL players.

Can you provide any tangible evidence that might prove Scott is better than Debord as an OC?

Seroiusly you picked an 4-8 ND that lost its star QB to suddenly go against us in the National Title game. Oh and were a team losing stars on both sides of the ball.

I live in South Bend, In, born and raised, and I can tell you the locals would be surprised/thrilled if ND went 9-3 this year and are expecting 8-4 or 7-5 as best realistic situation for this ND team.

Mike Debord did a great job last year. You'll realize again that Jones is not a good coach.

Seroiusly you picked an 4-8 ND that lost its star QB to suddenly go against us in the National Title game. Oh and were a team losing stars on both sides of the ball.

I live in South Bend, In, born and raised, and I can tell you the locals would be surprised/thrilled if ND went 9-3 this year and are expecting 8-4 or 7-5 as best realistic situation for this ND team.

I like Notre Dame this year for several reasons:

(1) Lot of talent left on the roster. Notre Dame has several top 10 recruiting classes on campus. In fact, if you look at the last 4 recruiting classes, they are a top 10 team nationally in terms of talent. Yes they lost Kizer but his replacement Brandon Wimbush is an upgrade IMO. Wimbush is extremely talented. He was a top QB recruit in 2015. And he has elite running and throwing skills. Look for him to be a major breakout star in college football this year.

(2) Motivation. I love the fact they went 4-8 last year. That'll give them a lot of motivation this year to turn things around. Similar to us. Teams with a lot of talent and a chip on their shoulder always perform better after a disappointing season. Look for Notre Dame to join 2013 Auburn as one of the best turnaround stories in college football history.

(3) Favorable Schedule. I love the fact that Notre Dame has their 2 most challenging games at home (Georgia and USC). And their toughest road games (@Miami and @Stanford) aren't until the end of the season. I like how the schedule lays out for them. And its difficult enough that they can drop one game and still make the playoffs. The key for them is to beat USC at home. That'll be their ticket to the playoffs because I expect USC to be the Pac 12 Champion.

Your 3 playoff teams won't even win their respective conferences and Notre dame will have at least 3-4 losses.

Your 3 playoff teams won't even win their respective conferences and Notre dame will have at least 3-4 losses.

Clemson has an extremely easy schedule this year with their toughest games being at home (vs Auburn and Florida State). They also have a lot of talent (top 10 recruiting classes the last 3 years). And Kelly Bryant (the guy replacing Deshaun Watson) is actually very talented. I wouldn't be surprised if the drop-off between the two is minimal.

Michigan has also recruited extremely well the last couple of years. They have a favorable schedule as well with Ohio State having to come to the Big House. And I like the fact this is Harbaugh in Year 3 with a young roster. Nick Saban won a national championship in 2009 with a similar roster made up of stud sophomores and freshmen.

Now I'm just waiting on Dave to make a new username and give his 2017 predictions.

MikeDave1967

How do you guys see the 2017 season playing out? I see the playoff teams being Ohio St., USC, Alabama, and Clemson. Alabama beats USC and Ohio St. beats Clemson, then OSU win the NC game.

Reactions: 2 people
How do you guys see the 2017 season playing out? I see the playoff teams being Ohio St., USC, Alabama, and Clemson. Alabama beats USC and Ohio St. beats Clemson, then OSU win the NC game.

Despite hating James Franklin, i hope PSU makes it since they should have made it last year. They have a chance, so I'll say...

Bama over PSU
FSU over USC

And Alabama beats Florida State, again, in the rematch in Atlanta to end the season.

VN Store

Back