Oklahoma State 1945 NCs?

I hear the kensucky mildcats are filing a protest since they patented the retroactive MNC.

You mean '67? Oh yeah. I've said numerous times on this board that we should claim '39 or '56 instead. '67 was a really, really good team just not the best in the nation.

Yeah, sorry. Late night mistype.

The problem with 1939 and NC claims is someone has to actually award the school with one first before it claim it. None of them did as far as that season went. They all went with A&M that season...with the only two minor poll deviations being to USC and Cornell.

Yeah, sorry. Late night mistype.

The problem with 1939 and NC claims is someone has to actually award the school with one first before it claim it. None of them did as far as that season went. They all went with A&M that season...with the only two minor poll deviations being to USC and Cornell.

That's fair. We have 4 that are rock solid imo in '38, '50, '51 and of course, '98. '40 is shaky and '67 is shakiest.

Reactions: 1 person
Kentucky's 1950 one is way worse. At least OK State went undefeated. The issue is just level of competition.

UK's only problem that year was they lost very late in the season which shot them down the rankings at the end. Unlike UT or Texas, who lost very early and recovered in rankings. For whatever reason, UK still was matched up with the #1 team in the country in the bowl game. UK won. And for another confusing reason unknown to me, the champion was declared before the bowls at that time. Imagine Bama being declared the champion last season and then losing to Clemson or some other top five team one game later.

UK's only problem that year was they lost very late in the season which shot them down the rankings at the end. Unlike UT or Texas, who lost very early and recovered in rankings. For whatever reason, UK still was matched up with the #1 team in the country in the bowl game. UK won. And for another confusing reason unknown to me, the champion was declared before the bowls at that time. Imagine Bama being declared the champion last season and then losing to Clemson or some other top five team one game later.

But the team who beat you during the season (hey, I think it might have been the Vols) also went out and beat #3 Texas the same day you were beating #1 Oklahoma.

So we beat you just before you beat #1 Oklahoma, and then we beat #3 Texas, to boot. Vols, National Champs, Kentucky, the Vols' little brother.

Paul Bryant takes second place to Robert Neyland yet again. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Bowl games were really just exhibitions back then. It certainly wasn't a playoff game.

Okie State even put it up in their east end zone.

This is still my favorite personally, though:

secchampsstadiumgz4.jpg

The bowls didn't carry the same weight then as they do now. They were basically exhibitions played after the season was considered finished.

VN Store

Back