Frank Broyles passes away

StarRaider

Register & Vote for me
I think the 86 Sugar Bowl might have been his last game in the booth... "how long does Tennessee think they can dink and dunk against this great hurricane defense"?

Last edited:
I think the 86 Sugar Bowl might have been his last game in the booth... "how long does Tennessee think they can dink and dunk against this great hurricane defense"?

I don't think he was biased (he and Majors were good friends), he just expected Miami to win and called the game from that perspective. I loved the team of Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles. They called some classic games.

R.I.P

I don't think he was biased (he and Majors were good friends), he just expected Miami to win and called the game from that perspective. I loved the team of Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles. They called some classic games.

R.I.P

He seemed genuinely excited when he started raving about Daryl Dickey

One of the things I will miss about Mr. Broyles is hearing him speak. He had that traditional, old time, deep South accent that you just don't hear very much anymore. RIP.

Reactions: 2 people
Was he the one that said "if he is even, he is leaving?"

Was he a quarterback for Bobby Dodd at Georgia Tech?

I approached Coach Broyles at The Masters one year in a practice round in the 1980's. As a member, he was wearing his green jacket. My brother and I were looking at glass cases that housed the crystal that the club gives away for eagles, off to the right of the 1st fairway.

Coach came walking by alone, and I approached him, and spoke to him for a couple of minutes about football. He was a gentleman and very friendly. The thing that stood out to me was how tall and thin he was. I read later that he was about 6'5" I think. I had no idea from seeing him on tv. RIP Coach.

Reactions: 1 person

R.I.P
Coach Broyles was an assistant under former U.T. Athletic Director Bob Woodruff at Baylor in the 50's, and Majors was an assistant under Coach Broyles in the 60's at Arkansas.

VN Store

Back