Been a Whole Lot of Child Abuse...

I love watching football, have ever since I was a kid, and I think a lot of the pearl clutching over concussions and head injuries is mostly virtue signaling. The game is as safe as it ever has been. Despite finding out more about concussions and CTE in recent years I don't think anyone was under the impression 20 years ago that football is a "safe" game or that concussions don't have long-term consequences.

Having said that, I have come around on the notion that 100 years from now people will look back and wonder how football was ever a "thing." Kind of like how we react today to hockey goalies not wearing masks. They'll wonder why guys were willing to put their bodies through that, and at risk of grave injury, despite the money that was being made, and they'll wonder why we celebrated it as a society. It will absolutely be looked at as our generations' gladiator games.

I love watching football, have ever since I was a kid, and I think a lot of the pearl clutching over concussions and head injuries is mostly virtue signaling. The game is as safe as it ever has been. Despite finding out more about concussions and CTE in recent years I don't think anyone was under the impression 20 years ago that football is a "safe" game or that concussions don't have long-term consequences.

Having said that, I have come around on the notion that 100 years from now people will look back and wonder how football was ever a "thing." Kind of like how we react today to hockey goalies not wearing masks. They'll wonder why guys were willing to put their bodies through that, and at risk of grave injury, despite the money that was being made, and they'll wonder why we celebrated it as a society. It will absolutely be looked at as our generations' gladiator games.

Often in life we take things that we believe make us safe and dilute them to the the point we are unsafe. (Probably bad wording but oh well) for instance, important information used to be put on warning labels. Now warning labels are simply lawsuit protection for a company and noone reads them because they are filled with stupid stuff.
Road signs are much the same. Federal law requires so many road signs that in dense areas, their is no way possible to take in all the information while moving at the suggested speed. The same is true for football. Want to stop alot of brain injuries, go back to leather helmets, them people will be forced to stop using their head as a weapon.

Reactions: 2 people
Often in life we take things that we believe make us safe and dilute them to the the point we are unsafe. (Probably bad wording but oh well) for instance, important information used to be put on warning labels. Now warning labels are simply lawsuit protection for a company and noone reads them because they are filled with stupid stuff.
Road signs are much the same. Federal law requires so many road signs that in dense areas, their is no way possible to take in all the information while moving at the suggested speed. The same is true for football. Want to stop alot of brain injuries, go back to leather helmets, them people will be forced to stop using their head as a weapon.

Very true.

VN Store

Back