Bama Commits are Weird

dbarker

Please remove if needed. I'm just curious to see what our Vols Recruiting folks think of Bama's commits lately....
They just took Jarrett Bell a "sleeper" OL....also had some weird commits and are way back in the rankings...Does Saban have a new trick, or is he leaving soon and wants to keep any NCAA sniffing/blaming off the tails til he is gone?

Iirc Bama is often back in the ratings at first due to volume rather than quality. They make a huge surge nearer to the end of a recruiting class.

What if...and I know this sounds crazy...Saban knows more than the "recruiting experts "?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Bama actually has came in second for a few guys this year. Tennessee has landed some of these kids too. Recruiting services will always adjust ratings to make Bama look better though. I look more at offer lists and how hard those elite schools are pursuing a kid.

The get 2-star OL commit from California and Rivals immediately Bumps him up to a 4-star. One of the reasons that I left Volquest.

Reactions: 1 person
The get 2-star OL commit from California and Rivals immediately Bumps him up to a 4-star. One of the reasons that I left Volquest.

Did this really happen? Was the dude a 2 star before he committed?

Random nugget fun conspiracy nugget for those who don't know Nick Saban just opened up a new Mercedes dealership in Nashville, the joke between me and some family members he's trying to make an impact on this middle TN hotbed, so if we see recruits go to bama better check to see what color Benz they're driving!

Reactions: 3 people
Did this really happen? Was the dude a 2 star before he committed?

I don't think much about a situation like this. It's obvious they just never even looked at the kid until an offer, we had a QB (irc) receive quite a bump after we offered last year.

It's when a 4-star moves up to a 5-star with no football being played. Obviously they had been watching the kid to have him a four-star, that's an Alabama bump. Just gives them more momentum the higher they are in the rankings.

OP, you got that right....Bama is weird in general. Everyone that commits to Bama is weird. Especially when cousins and/or siblings commit to each other, which happens more times than not. Really everything about Bama is weird. Everything. The fact that there are even school there is weird. The entire state is weird. Even the fact that it exists is weird.

Reactions: 2 people
Random nugget fun conspiracy nugget for those who don't know Nick Saban just opened up a new Mercedes dealership in Nashville, the joke between me and some family members he's trying to make an impact on this middle TN hotbed, so if we see recruits go to bama better check to see what color Benz they're driving!

This is a reality. Has been, is, and always will be the case with Bama. Hands down the dirtiest, cheatingest program around. Followed by Ohio State. Always has been. For some reason the SEC turns the other cheek because they feel they need them to be the poster boy of the South. The NCAA needs the SEC therefore needs Bama. So, they throw the book at places like Southern Miss, Ole Miss and any other historically suck ass team while Bama gets by with murder.

If you don't believe this or know this after their long storied history of cheating you are not only blind, you are dumb....

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think much about a situation like this. It's obvious they just never even looked at the kid until an offer, we had a QB (irc) receive quite a bump after we offered last year.

It's when a 4-star moves up to a 5-star with no football being played. Obviously they had been watching the kid to have him a four-star, that's an Alabama bump. Just gives them more momentum the higher they are in the rankings.

They may not have really looked at the kid before his commit, but to bump him 1,000 spots in the rankings the very next day after he commits is crazy.

Please remove if needed. I'm just curious to see what our Vols Recruiting folks think of Bama's commits lately....
They just took Jarrett Bell a "sleeper" OL....also had some weird commits and are way back in the rankings...Does Saban have a new trick, or is he leaving soon and wants to keep any NCAA sniffing/blaming off the tails til he is gone?

This Jarrett Bell? You sure he's a sleeper? Lol

2* OL and the day he commits jumps to a 4* on Rivals.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...tt-bell-197183

On 24/7 he was ranked a 2* at 1,416. He jumped almost 1000 spots after committing. Look at his ranking history graph on 24/7. Lol

http://247sports.com/Player/Jarrett-Bell-46047134

Jarett Bell's film is mostly with him at DL. He recently came to camp and blew the staff away on the offensive line. At that point seeing is believing.

As far as recruits go Luginbill recently said it best:

Here's what's happening at Bama, Auburn, UGA and other schools:
"B/c coaches are taking back some control and offers have stipulations on what is committable. This buys them time to further evaluate."

"Committed #s are down across the country for this reason. Also, w/ Bama they are going to have a small class anyway."

Jarett Bell's film is mostly with him at DL. He recently came to camp and blew the staff away on the offensive line. At that point seeing is believing.

As far as recruits go Luginbill recently said it best:

Here's what's happening at Bama, Auburn, UGA and other schools:
"B/c coaches are taking back some control and offers have stipulations on what is committable. This buys them time to further evaluate."

"Committed #s are down across the country for this reason. Also, w/ Bama they are going to have a small class anyway."
Did there happen to be any analysts for any of the recruiting services there? I mean I would think the services would actually want to see the guy before giving him about a 1000 spot bump. Of course they probably just now got around to evaluation of his tape which as this poster mentioned is mostly him playing Dline.

I have no doubt Bama will have a great class even with smaller numbers. They could load up on mediocre players and still have those kids be ranked four stars minimum. Saban is a great one not only at evaluation but at development but I think anyone that's honest would say Bama recruiting has taken a small step backwards this year.

Reactions: 1 person
Did there happen to be any analysts for any of the recruiting services there? I mean I would think the services would actually want to see the guy before giving him about a 1000 spot bump. Of course they probably just now got around to evaluation of his tape which as this poster mentioned is mostly him playing Dline.

I have no doubt Bama will have a great class even with smaller numbers. They could load up on mediocre players and still have those kids be ranked four stars minimum. Saban is a great one not only at evaluation but at development but I think anyone that's honest would say Bama recruiting has taken a small step backwards this year.

All of football is relative, so a lot of it has always been, follow the leader. I'd read about Urban Meyer offering a defensive player a scholarship because Bama did and he assumed Coach Saban knew his defensive stuff. Got to happen a lot. For recruiting services to bump a recruit based on a coach who seldom misses is not that outlandish.

All of football is relative, so a lot of it has always been, follow the leader. I'd read about Urban Meyer offering a defensive player a scholarship because Bama did and he assumed Coach Saban knew his defensive stuff. Got to happen a lot. For recruiting services to bump a recruit based on a coach who seldom misses is not that outlandish.

Yeah, but a 2 to a 4? He got bumped from being deemed a guy FBS schools don't even recruit to being a solid contributor on a FBS/Power 5 conference team.

I guess it doesn't matter really with Alabama. It's impossible to know if the ratings of their recruiting classes are inflated because they are the best program anyway.

Yeah, but a 2 to a 4? He got bumped from being deemed a guy FBS schools don't even recruit to being a solid contributor on a FBS/Power 5 conference team.

I guess it doesn't matter really with Alabama. It's impossible to know if the ratings of their recruiting classes are inflated because they are the best program anyway.

You're using the same services we are. Plenty of the same circumstances in other successful programs are driving opinion as well. The bottom line is really the only thing that matters most and that's when we all meet on the field of play.

VN Store

Back