Youngstown St has petition out to dismiss player involved in rape case

if he is guilty, and it seems like he is being a registered sex offender, then good for them.

Really not sure how I feel about this one. It happened in 2012. I have no idea how old he was then but spent time in a juvenile detention center. 5 years later he is trying to improve his lot in life. Are people allowed to repatriate into society after paying a debt to society? The crime was terrible and maybe there's no coming back from it, but assuming he was 14 or so maybe we should let Pelini keep him on a short leash,like was alluded to in the article, and see if he can become a productive member of society.

Reactions: 1 person
It was a gang rape. The only reason he's not in prison is because they were juvenile...and that football crazy community banded around the offenders. Victim got shamed out of the school and the family had to move. Cry me a river that he might not get to play football.

Reactions: 4 people
if he is guilty, and it seems like he is being a registered sex offender, then good for them.

The nature of this particular crime is heinous, but in general I don't see being a registered sex offender as a sign that a person is guilty of something bad. They can force you to register as a sex offender if you're caught parking with your girlfriend. The sex offender registry was supposed to be a warning that a violent sexual predator was living in the area. Many communities are using it now as a scarlet letter.

Reactions: 2 people
The nature of this particular crime is heinous, but in general I don't see being a registered sex offender as a sign that a person is guilty of something bad. They can force you to register as a sex offender if you're caught parking with your girlfriend. The sex offender registry was supposed to be a warning that a violent sexual predator was living in the area. Many communities are using it now as a scarlet letter.

I honestly didn't read into this case, but I was assuming he is on the registry as part of his crimes. In which case I stand by my statement. If he is on from a crap reason then yah there is some merit to looking at it.

also the students have every right to petition a player to be kicked off the team for whatever reason they want. *minus some obvious exceptions*

I honestly didn't read into this case, but I was assuming he is on the registry as part of his crimes. In which case I stand by my statement. If he is on from a crap reason then yah there is some merit to looking at it.

also the students have every right to petition a player to be kicked off the team for whatever reason they want. *minus some obvious exceptions*

In this case I think it's warranted. I was just making stating an opinion about the registry in general.

Not sure if you live in TN or not, but if you have to register as a sex offender in TN, it is for a felony offense (or attempt) or for multiple misdemeanor offenses. They are all serious and not for something petty.

Being on the registry is also broken up into two categories: supervision for life or supervision for 10 years. If you have to be supervised for life, then it was for a very serious conviction.

It was a gang rape. The only reason he's not in prison is because they were juvenile...and that football crazy community banded around the offenders. Victim got shamed out of the school and the family had to move. Cry me a river that he might not get to play football.

It was awful.

Not sure if you live in TN or not, but if you have to register as a sex offender in TN, it is for a felony offense (or attempt) or for multiple misdemeanor offenses. They are all serious and not for something petty.

Being on the registry is also broken up into two categories: supervision for life or supervision for 10 years. If you have to be supervised for life, then it was for a very serious conviction.

Let me address each point separately. To the first point a misdemeanor is by definition a petty offense. If it were serious it would be classified as a felony.

As far as categories go it's plain wrong IMO. The original purpose of the sec offender registry was to alert the public of any potentially dangerous person that is living in the area. That means rapists and pedophile. Anything else is a misuse of the system IMO.

That's all I'm saying as it's not my intent to derail this thread.

Let me address each point separately. To the first point a misdemeanor is by definition a petty offense. If it were serious it would be classified as a felony.

As far as categories go it's plain wrong IMO. The original purpose of the sec offender registry was to alert the public of any potentially dangerous person that is living in the area. That means rapists and pedophile. Anything else is a misuse of the system IMO.

That's all I'm saying as it's not my intent to derail this thread.

Ok, let me clarify. Misdemeanors and felonies are classified into offense levels. I don't consider class A or even B misdemeanors as "petty."

That said, there are some misdemeanors that become felonies after two convictions. For instance, indecent exposure is a misdemeanor that becomes a felony after two prior convictions. Therefore, I believe you might have to register after the third conviction. In TN, the convictions that you have to register for are serious offenses, not "parking with your girlfriend."

As far as different categories, it depends on the type of conviction. Sexual battery, which can be touching a female back area or breast, is an E felony. It only carries 10 years on the registry because the Legislature realizes it's not as serious as Aggravated rape, which is an A felony and carries 15-60 years. That carries supervision for life.

Anyway, this is what I do for a living. I don't pretend to know all of the small details because there is a lot, and I don't handle that many sex crimes.

Last edited:
I did a paper in college that argued that Sex Offender laws are unconstitutional, as they certainly are. However, noone will raise the issue on a large scale for fear of public backlash.

Good for them, we should have done the same for Daniel Hood.

Isn't DH's result what would be hoped for? Rehabilitating offenders is better than life long punishment. He's been successful at life after his offense. Would it be better if he was unable to support himself?

Isn't DH's result what would be hoped for? Rehabilitating offenders is better than life long punishment. He's been successful at life after his offense. Would it be better if he was unable to support himself?

Its not about rehabilitating people etc and them having a shot at success. Its about a person representing something that for most is simply a dream. Its the exact same as this case. They are not saying he should attend college etc, just that he shouldnt represent their school on the football field. Its similair to my stance on DJ Pettway in another thread.

Its not about rehabilitating people etc and them having a shot at success. Its about a person representing something that for most is simply a dream. Its the exact same as this case. They are not saying he should attend college etc, just that he shouldnt represent their school on the football field. Its similair to my stance on DJ Pettway in another thread.

It can take away an education. Everybody can't self finance. Taking those things away are beyond the punishment given to the juvenile for the crime. DH is a good example of why offenders should be given second chances... especially since he was a juvenile.

Our judicial system exists for several reasons. One of the reasons is determine guilt or innocence and another is to administer punishment. The laws state that judges sentence those guilty, not the public. If this young man paid his debt to society (prison, parole, registering as a sex offender, loss of certain rights as a convicted felon, etc) then I don't think its right that the public, at a later date, administer another round of punishment.

Would the same be done to him if he were a musician and wanted to play in the Youngstown band???? I don't think so. JMO

Our judicial system exists for several reasons. One of the reasons is determine guilt or innocence and another is to administer punishment. The laws state that judges sentence those guilty, not the public. If this young man paid his debt to society (prison, parole, registering as a sex offender, loss of certain rights as a convicted felon, etc) then I don't think its right that the public, at a later date, administer another round of punishment.

Would the same be done to him if he were a musician and wanted to play in the Youngstown band???? I don't think so. JMO

Nobody is trying to send him to prison. If you own a company that sells a product to the public are you hiring a known sex offender as your spokeman? You hiring Bernie Madoff as the spokesman for your investment firm once he is out of prison?

I did a paper in college that argued that Sex Offender laws are unconstitutional, as they certainly are. However, noone will raise the issue on a large scale for fear of public backlash.

I agree. I think that applies to many issues like felons not being able to own guns. If a person is that dangerous, then they need to stay in prison. Once they've been freed they should be able to move on with their lives.

In this situation, the guy probably should still be in prison.

In this case the "public" is a student at the university who doesn't want a sexual predator to be an official representative of his university. I'd say he has aa legitimate right to start the petition.

VN Store

Back