I admit it. I'm getting optimistic about the Gators.

lawgator1

Every year, everyone is optimistic about the coming year. But I've been a Gator fan for longer than some of you have been on the planet. I'm used to that, and always try to temper that enthusiasm with a recognition of how difficult it is to maneuver to a successful year in the SEC.

But this year has felt different. And now I'm seeing a true competition between drop back passer Franks and dual threat Zaire. The Oline seems a lot better. And we have some young talent at WR.

Defensively we lost a lot of players to the NFL. But there were injuries late last year and some guys starting this year got valuable experience.

I think we win the East going away. We catch a good but somewhat inexperienced Michigan team early. It is still a longshot to beat 'bama. But if we stay healthy and catch a few breaks against them....

Mich W
North Co W
Tenn W
Kentucky W
Vandy W
LSU W
Texas A & M W
UGA W
Mizz W
USCe W
UAB W
FSU L

'bama .... I'll get back to you.

Reactions: 1 person
You will probably back into been the east champion again l but I can't see the gators winning all but 1 game. Alot of talent is gone off the defense.

You will probably back into been the east champion again l but I can't see the gators winning all but 1 game. Alot of talent is gone off the defense.
`

So who do we lose to? Maybe LSU?

You and LSU, maybe UGA, should be the better teams we play up until FSU. But we get you and LSU at home. Its hard to take UGA seriously until they really show signs of life.

Reactions: 2 people
`

So who do we lose to? Maybe LSU?

You and LSU, maybe UGA, should be the better teams we play up until FSU. But we get you and LSU at home. Its hard to take UGA seriously until they really show signs of life.

I'm a little surprised you're conceding the Seminoles game in Gainesville. Especially as optimistic as you seem to be with the rest of the schedule.

Gators will lose no more than 2 this year leading up to the sec champ game. I think it may come down to a head to head this year determining who goes to represent the east.

Every year, everyone is optimistic about the coming year. But I've been a Gator fan for longer than some of you have been on the planet. I'm used to that, and always try to temper that enthusiasm with a recognition of how difficult it is to maneuver to a successful year in the SEC.

But this year has felt different. And now I'm seeing a true competition between drop back passer Franks and dual threat Zaire. The Oline seems a lot better. And we have some young talent at WR.

Defensively we lost a lot of players to the NFL. But there were injuries late last year and some guys starting this year got valuable experience.

I think we win the East going away. We catch a good but somewhat inexperienced Michigan team early. It is still a longshot to beat 'bama. But if we stay healthy and catch a few breaks against them....

Mich W
North Co W
Tenn W
Kentucky W
Vandy W
LSU W
Texas A & M W
UGA W
Mizz W
USCe W
UAB W
FSU L

The schedule certainly sets up nice. The toughest stretch looks like LSU, A&M, UGA. Haven't looked to see if you all have a bye somewhere in there. Neutral site vs UGA helps level the playing field, and it looks like an even matchup. Stacked UGA offense, stout UF defense. One thing I learned as a UT fan is Florida will always be a tough game regardless of who is coaching or their roster at the time.

Personally I think the east is wide open right now. A lot of unanswered questions with UF, UT, and UGA's coaching. I'm curious to see how Smart improves in year two. I don't get any of the hype with Kentucky.

LSU will be tough and we should be also. If Georgia puts it together they can be good. There's alot of unknowns on every team this year so there should be some awesome games.

LSU will be tough and we should be also. If Georgia puts it together they can be good. There's alot of unknowns on every team this year so there should be some awesome games.

I don't get the Kentucky hype either.
Or the Georgia hype.

I too think Florida wins the division going away.

Down year for UT. Muschamp at SC. Kentucky is Kentucky. Georgia will piss themselves like always.

Mich W
North Co W
Tenn W
Kentucky W
Vandy W
LSU W
Texas A & M W
UGA W
Mizz W
USCe W
UAB W
FSU L

Stopped reading at Mich = W.

They are going to curb stomp you all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
It's the best offensive group, they've had in years.

The QB, whoever it will be, will have more help than any QB since Urban was head coach.

Defensively, they'll still be good. They can be better than they actually are if they are also allowed to play with a lead which never happened outside of a certain game people here remember which they also blew.

Wouldn't trade the kicker or punter for anyone else's either.

It can be a really good team.

But ask LSU how far a good team can take you if your QB sucks

Your prediction of an 11-0 start is going to be busted before you even exit the month of September. :)

[truth in advertising: not sure it will be the Vols who give you your first L. Marching into the Swamp and grabbing a win is always a challenge. But you won't survive your first month of 2017 unscathed]

Reactions: 5 people
I wouldn't ever guess that when you don't have a qb. Also the d will take a step back. I think y'all go 9 and 3. Win the east probably. Lose to Fsu. Michigan and one more. Probably between Georgia and Lsu.

That is a lot of faith in Malik Zaire

You have to remember what we've had. For most of the past decade, we've had either QBs of very limited talent, one dimensional, inexperienced, a poor match for the skill sets around them, or some combination of all of the above.

This is the first time in a long time that all of the OTHER pieces are there to with guys we know are talented, such that between the two of them we hopefully arrive at the right combination very early on.

"But this year has felt different. And now I'm seeing a true competition between drop back passer Franks and dual threat Zaire."

Good -- you all finally having confidence in your qb of late will make another Tennessee victory much more fulfilling.

The biggest thing you have going for you is that all of your tough games are at home or neutral sites. I think that matters a lot, especially in college when you're dealing with younger guys who are way more comfortable getting to stay at/play at home in front of their fans.

However, given that you play Michigan, Tennessee, LSU, A&M, Georgia, and FSU, I find it highly likely that you lose at least a couple of those games. Getting LSU, then A&M, a bye, then Georgia is a tough stretch.

You have to remember what we've had. For most of the past decade, we've had either QBs of very limited talent, one dimensional, inexperienced, a poor match for the skill sets around them, or some combination of all of the above.

This is the first time in a long time that all of the OTHER pieces are there to with guys we know are talented, such that between the two of them we hopefully arrive at the right combination very early on.

Fine. You will be much better on offense...

Now, let's talk about the defense which was hardly elite last season to begin with. You lost 7 of the top 100 players taken in the 2017 NFL Draft:

Quincy Wilson (#31)
Marcus Maye (#39)
Jarrad Davis (#40)
Jalen Tabor (#53)
Bryan Cox (#64)
Alex Anzalone (#76)
Caleb Brantley (#99)

You also lose Joey Ivie who was drafted (#228) plus Marcell Harris due to a season ending injury.

I see 4 really good players (Jefferson, Sherit, Gardner and Dawson) and a ton of question marks which is not much different than what we have at Tennessee this year on defense. I don't think you will be terrible but an 11-1 prediction is downright delusional.

You are much better on the politics forum! :good!:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
The biggest thing you have going for you is that all of your tough games are at home or neutral sites. I think that matters a lot, especially in college when you're dealing with younger guys who are way more comfortable getting to stay at/play at home in front of their fans.

However, given that you play Michigan, Tennessee, LSU, A&M, Georgia, and FSU, I find it highly likely that you lose at least a couple of those games. Getting LSU, then A&M, a bye, then Georgia is a tough stretch.

Everyone has a tough stretch. Its the SEC. But after the deal we made on LSU last year, we get them at home in a row, and this year in particular is about as good as it can get in terms of schedule and location.

Put it this way -- I expect us to be better this year than last as a complete team, and significantly so. Not many teams can say that.

Mich W
North Co W
Tenn W
Kentucky W
Vandy W
LSU W
Texas A & M W
UGA W
Mizz W
USCe W
UAB W
FSU L

Alright, so realistically where do you see TN this year? Do you see us dropping a couple to teams you think FL will beat?

Everyone has a tough stretch. Its the SEC. But after the deal we made on LSU last year, we get them at home in a row, and this year in particular is about as good as it can get in terms of schedule and location.

Put it this way -- I expect us to be better this year than last as a complete team, and significantly so. Not many teams can say that.

Your defense will be average. There are a lot of teams that can say that.

VN Store

Back