Kicker removed from USC for assaulting girlfriend who adamantly denies it happened

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Kicker Matt Boermeester was removed from USC after an unfair investigation, girlfriend says

In the statement, Katz said she and Boermeester have dated for more than a year. The Title IX investigation began, Steigerwalt said, after a neighbor witnessed Boermeester and Katz roughhousing. The neighbor told his roommate, who told a coach in USC’s athletic department that Boermeester was abusing Katz. The coach then reported the incident to the Title IX office.

Katz said she was summoned to a mandatory meeting with Title IX officials, where she told investigators that the two were playing around. Katz was subsequently told that she “must be afraid of Matt,” she said. She told officials she was not. Boermeester has not been arrested or charged with a crime.

“When I told the truth about Matt, in repeated interrogations, I was stereotyped and was told I must be a ‘battered’ woman, and that made me feel demeaned and absurdly profiled,” Katz said. “I understand that domestic violence is a terrible problem, but in no way does that apply to Matt and me.”

Katz said that she has “never been abused, assaulted or otherwise mistreated by Matt.”

Boermeester, who kicked the game-winning field goal for USC in the Rose Bowl, was suspended from USC, then barred from campus and from meeting with USC's athletic trainers or members of the football team. The school also barred Boermeester from contacting Katz, she said.

A spokesman for USC, in an emailed statement to The Times, said that “the university has concluded its investigation. Student disciplinary records and proceedings regarding any matter of student conduct are confidential and protected by law. Per the registrar, he is no longer enrolled at the university.”

Katz said the Title IX office made her feel “misled, harassed, threatened and discriminated against,” and caused her to hire an attorney.

“The Title IX office’s response was dismissive and demeaning,” she said.

In the statement, Katz said she is coming forward now to clear Boermeester’s name and lobby for change in the Title IX office’s investigative procedures.

How many years does he have left? Medleys replacements next year?

She may have a legitimate complaint here, but just keep in mind you are getting one side, and only one side, of the story.

Reactions: 1 person
She may have a legitimate complaint here, but just keep in mind you are getting one side, and only one side, of the story.

As opposed to the neighbor who told a guy who told the athletic department? And none of whom reported anything to the authorities - per what's reported here at least.

Reactions: 2 people
How does a school issue a restraining order to a non-student exactly? I've never understood the role of the school being so great in rape, assault, etc cases - why aren't these things just turned over to the authorities for legal proceedings to occur?

Universities Title IX political correctness has now created the scenario on campus that a student is guilty until proven innocence. Can be a little difficult proving something that didn't happen.

Reactions: 3 people
Dont know alot about this story, but my first indication would be she told the investigators one thing and the public another. We have seen this in several high profile cases. Hopefully they are not just targeting the guy for some reason.

Dont know alot about this story, but my first indication would be she told the investigators one thing and the public another. We have seen this in several high profile cases. Hopefully they are not just targeting the guy for some reason.

They are.

Happened to a Yale basketball player a year or two ago.

Title IX puts the schools in an untenable situation. Even if the girlfriend says that nothing happened, and defends him to the ends of the earth, the school cannot take the risk that she might be a battered woman, and the "abuse" might happen again. Title IX makes it impossible to take Boermeester or the girlfriend at their words. Boermeester might sue the school and they'll probably come to a tidy settlement with him, but it's a small price to pay to avoid the potential disaster that probably doesn't even exist.

How do you know? You cant judge one case based on the merit of another.

If that were the case there are no campus rapes....see duke lacrosse.

Duke lacrosse just enforces my belief.

I am judging these by quotes I have read and facts pertaining to each.

Reactions: 2 people
So a neighbor sees a guy abusing his girlfriend and his only instinct is to tell his roommate? And then that person's only instinct is to tell the AD? Why did no one call the police?

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back