LSU's Orgeron Closes All Of Preseason Camp To Media

TBH it's an advantage. All the media is trying to do is tear you down for clicks at this point. Why tell everyone where you are at before the season?

Reactions: 1 person
It's becoming a trend. McElwain did it his first year at UF.

Think Urban did the same for a couple seasons.

I'd be surprised if Saban lets the media in on his practices.

It's still a pretty ham-fisted approach.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike what the media have become. Not gonna defend their perspective for one stinkin' minute.

But the primary reason you keep the media away from practices is so that you don't give away your playbook. You can do that without closing off the entire fall camp.

As one example: watch Fingers' compilation of all the coverage of our fall camp over the next several weeks. See how many 11-on-11 drills you get to see. How many plays you see run. Hint: it's gonna be awfully close to the number zero.

That's not because they're not going 11-on-11. They're doing plenty of it. But those parts of the practices are media-blocked. What the media get to see are the individual and, at most, unit-on-unit drills.

Voila, no playbook reveals.

Orgeron shutting everything down is just laziness, unwillingness to get one of his staff to take a few minutes to figure out what parts should be open and what parts shouldn't.

More power to him if that's what he wants to do, but it's still a ham-fisted approach.

IMO the Canada hire was good and thought he did a great job at Pitt last year but there's about zero percent chance LSU offense is anything special with Etling at quarterback

The only and best way to prove EO wrong in this decision, is for Tenn to really beat up on LSU this fall.

Coach Saban allows access to the practices for short intervals by the press. All the players know the drill and not much is given away. Looking at LSU's offense during spring ball, he may need all the time he can get his hands on.

TBH it's an advantage. All the media is trying to do is tear you down for clicks at this point. Why tell everyone where you are at before the season?

I think it's going to have the opposite effect. Would you rather the media write and report on what they see, or just start fabricating stories because they have nothing to write about? Plus, fall camp is for the fans and players anyways. It just makes him look paranoid

I think it's going to have the opposite effect. Would you rather the media write and report on what they see, or just start fabricating stories because they have nothing to write about? Plus, fall camp is for the fans and players anyways. It just makes him look paranoid

Or maybe he wants his kids to focus on practice and not worrying about the firestorm dujour caused by interviews? The media junk is a distraction that doesn't add anything for the players. I can't believe people actually read and demand practice reports.

Coach Saban allows access to the practices for short intervals by the press. All the players know the drill and not much is given away. Looking at LSU's offense during spring ball, he may need all the time he can get his hands on.

Last sentence is spot on

VN Store

Back