And So It Begins (Ole Miss decommits)

musolfmj

NBC Sports --

"It didn’t take long before Ole Miss to suffer on the recruiting trail from the abrupt departure of Hugh Freeze as head coach on Thursday evening.

In what was probably only a matter of time (just a few hours as it turns out), Rebels 2019 Houston (Tex.) cornerback recruit Bobby Wolfe confirmed to ESPN that he had decommitted from the program on Thursday night following Freeze’s resignation. Several other recruiting services also confirmed the news and noted that many of Ole Miss’ 2018 commitments are starting to have second thoughts about the situation in Oxford.

With Wolfe no longer committed, Ole Miss doesn’t have a single 2019 pledge according to 247Sports and has just 10 players in the 2018 class — all of whom are three-stars or lower — that currently sits 11th in the conference team rankings."

So with nothing but three stars, I guess we won't be doing a lot of chasing.

Reactions: 1 person
NBC Sports --

"It didn’t take long before Ole Miss to suffer on the recruiting trail from the abrupt departure of Hugh Freeze as head coach on Thursday evening.

In what was probably only a matter of time (just a few hours as it turns out), Rebels 2019 Houston (Tex.) cornerback recruit Bobby Wolfe confirmed to ESPN that he had decommitted from the program on Thursday night following Freeze’s resignation. Several other recruiting services also confirmed the news and noted that many of Ole Miss’ 2018 commitments are starting to have second thoughts about the situation in Oxford.

With Wolfe no longer committed, Ole Miss doesn’t have a single 2019 pledge according to 247Sports and has just 10 players in the 2018 class — all of whom are three-stars or lower — that currently sits 11th in the conference team rankings."

There is the WR Gregory out of SC who might be worth a look... but literally nobody else. Their '17 class was 39th in the nation. They will be very lucky to finish that high in '18.

I'll be that guy...

because I don't follow recruiting much, is there anyone we would go after?

I'll be that guy...

because I don't follow recruiting much, is there anyone we would go after?

I'm pretty sure they are doing so bad that we wouldn't want many of them.

Edit: just looked at their commit list. 4* WR and the rest are 3* guys. Not sure if we recruited any of them. They recruit the western half of the south it seems.

Last edited:
Don't worry Ole Miss, it will get much worse once they give current players the right to transfer without penalty.

Too bad they don't have any recruits worth going after. Of course, this is the real reason Freeze was fired; not the hooker. The writing has been on the wall for awhile, with no major recruits willing to go there with a strong possibility of sanctions against Ole Miss in the future. Ole Miss just needed an excuse to pull the trigger and got a convenient one.

NBC Sports --

What are you talking about... Butch loves 3 star recruits!!!! :)

Don't worry Ole Miss, it will get much worse once they give current players the right to transfer without penalty.

If their kicker is any good, might be worth it to take him - I still have doubts about Medley other than for extra points

I can't imagine that they'll release OM players. I don't know how their boosters feel right now but OM can tap a lot of wealthy alumni, probably more per capita than any other SEC program. What if they hire Chip Kelly?

I can't imagine that they'll release OM players. I don't know how their boosters feel right now but OM can tap a lot of wealthy alumni, probably more per capita than any other SEC program. What if they hire Chip Kelly?

If Ole Miss is hit with consecutive year bowl bans for 2018 (they have already self imposed one for 2017), then by rule the NCAA releases their players to transfer without penalty. It is how Tennessee acquired Malik Jackson from USC.

There is no way that Chip Kelly (or anyone else with many options) is taking that job... and get real, you can talk about 'per capita' all you want... They do not have near as many deep pocket boosters as Alabama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Texas A&M or even Arkansas. Not even close.

If Ole Miss is hit with consecutive year bowl bans for 2018 (they have already self imposed one for 2017), then by rule the NCAA releases their players to transfer without penalty. It is how Tennessee acquired Malik Jackson from USC.

There is no way that Chip Kelly (or anyone else with many options) is taking that job... and get real, you can talk about 'per capita' all you want... They do not have near as many deep pocket boosters as Alabama, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Texas A&M or even Arkansas. Not even close.

Nobody has deeper pocket boosters than Arkansas. Nobody is close to the Waltons.

Per capita, that might be entirely true (they probably do have a lot of wealthy alumni/boosters relative to the size/wealth of the state). But per capita doesn't mean much when you have to go up against SEC rivals who have way more resources on a nominal basis.

talking to a good friend of mine yesterday who's an ole miss alum...and this is what they're fearing the most...and he believes it will happen....

"we're done for the next 10 years if this happens"...is basically his feelings on it....

barring a huge olive branch being extended by a big name coach taking that job or the NCAA not granting the transfer, they kind of see the writing on the wall down there in Oxford......

Missouri has Stan Kroenke who married a Walton. It's crazy the amount of money and who has more wealthy boosters

You can add in Jerry Jones. In terms of dollar to dollar, I don't know if anyone has boosters as wealthy as the Waltons.

VN Store

Back