Gators lose top defensive player for season

Boogie

I absolutely hate it for this young man, this is a guy who came back as a fifth year senior to lead his team and improve his draft stock. It does make for an interesting discussion, however.

http://www.seccountry.com/florida/marcell-harris-miss-2017-torn-achilles

With a Florida defense that already needs to replace (8) starters from last years defense (we'll call it 9 now), and after watching the impact of losing JRM and others on last years Tennessee defense, are the discussions that Florida will win the East/finish second in the East reasonable?

Sure they have loads of talent, but they effectively have to replace an entire defense and we're all aware that their offense hasn't been their forte of late. Lets not forget, they're also trying to find a starting QB to lead their team. From my perspective, Florida has many more unknowns than we do, so what's realistic? Florida's success the last few season is 100% linked to their defense, of which, is completely different this year.

Thoughts?

Reactions: 3 people
I absolutely hate it for this young man, this is a guy who came back as a fifth year senior to lead his team and improve his draft stock. It does make for an interesting discussion, however.

With a Florida defense that already needs to replace (8) starters from last years defense (we'll call it 9 now), and after watching the impact of losing JRM and others on last years Tennessee defense, are the discussions that Florida will win the East/finish second in the East reasonable?

Sure they have loads of talent, but they effectively have to replace an entire defense and we're all aware that their offense hasn't been their forte of late. Lets not forget, they're also trying to find a starting QB to lead their team. From my perspective, Florida has many more unknowns than we do, so what's realistic? Florida's success the last few season is 100% linked to their defense, of which, is completely different this year.

Thoughts?

Nb4 the magic carpet ride to the NCAA forum.

Hate to hear things like this no matter what team.

Reactions: 1 person
Huge blow. The Gators have had the injury bug almost as bad as us. I have read that they may have to move a CB to safety now and they will have 8 new DBs game 1 vs Michigan.

It sucks for them and obviously I hate it for the guy but it will make our job a little easier in the swamp.

Hate it for the player but glad it's Fla and not one of ours.

Thoughts?

No, they don't have "loads" of talent. JM has not recruited to the same level as Spurrier, Zook, or Meyer.

Last edited:
Was his redshirt medically related?

No, they don't have "loads" of talent. GM has not recruited to the same level as Spurrier, Zook, or Meyer.

They still have elite talent but the coaching is mediocre at best.

Honestly, if Butch didn't lose the games he was supposed to win last year, McElwain wouldn't have won the East.

It's not that McElwain is a better coach than Jones. Jones just happened to make it easier for him due to his poor coaching, to win the East considering it was basically handed to him on a silver platter.

Florida had no business winning the East two years in a row when it should have been us.

Honestly, if Butch didn't lose the games he was supposed to win last year, McElwain wouldn't have won the East.

It's not that McElwain is a better coach than Jones. Jones just happened to make it easier for him due to his poor coaching, to win the East considering it was basically handed to him on a silver platter.

Florida had no business winning the East two years in a row when it should have been us.

Where exactly do they have elite talent?

It's not that McElwain is a better coach than Jones. Jones just happened to make it easier for him due to his poor coaching
, to win the East considering it was basically handed to him on a silver platter.

:blink:

It's obvious and Jones and McElwain aren't the second coming of General Neyland or Sturban Meyerrior, but given Jones' consistent ability to give away division titles by losing to lesser competition...and that includes UF's 2015 squad...I respectfully disagree with your assessment of our respective coaches.

Up to this point, McElwain is at best an average recruiter who's had the benefit of a championship caliber defense. He's also won the East two straight years with absolute garbage at QB.

Last edited:
Up to this point, McElwain is at best an average recruiter who's had the benefit of a championship caliber defense. He's also won the East two straight years.

Does he need to win the East again this year to avoid being on some kind of hot seat in 2018? If so, kind of ironic considering he's won the East both years he's been there.

:blink:

It's obvious and Jones and McElwain aren't the second coming of General Neyland or Sturban Meyerrior, but given Jones' consistent ability to give away division titles by losing to lesser competition...and that includes UF's 2015 squad...I respectfully disagree with your assessment of our respective coaches.

Up to this point, McElwain is at best an average recruiter who's had the benefit of a championship caliber defense. He's also won the East two straight years with absolute garbage at QB.

I think this year will be very revealing for McElwain and his tenure at Florida. If he can keep the wheels on the wagon and compete for/win the East despite the roster turnover, I'll be very impressed with the job he's done.

He was given a golden egg on the defensive side of the ball, kind of like being given a team with training wheels. The training wheels are off this season.

Reactions: 2 people
Does he need to win the East again this year to avoid being on some kind of hot seat in 2018? If so, kind of ironic considering he's won the East both years he's been there.

Doubtful, unless he loses badly to lesser teams.

UF is looking up at FSU and Bama, that's not changing anytime soon. FSU wiping the floor with us recently will do in McElwain faster than not winning the East. Ditto for UGA running off 2-3 consecutive wins against us.

Doubtful, unless he loses badly to lesser teams.

UF is looking up at FSU and Bama, that's not changing anytime soon. FSU wiping the floor with us recently will do in McElwain faster than not winning the East. Ditto for UGA running off 2-3 consecutive wins against us.

Any thoughts as to why he's recruited in a fairly mediocre fashion? Is it as simple as Jimbo eating his lunch? He's got Richt to worry about now in-state too.

Any thoughts as to why he's recruited in a fairly mediocre fashion? Is it as simple as Jimbo eating his lunch? He's got Richt to worry about now in-state too.

Recruiting second best in Florida does not exactly equal "fairly mediocre fashion."

Having said that, Florida's problems on offense have been due almost entirely to the problems we have had at the QB position.

Brissett had talent, but no receivers, and was not coached well.

Driskel was a Tebow-like QB for purposes of a dual threat offense, but the line was made up of a bunch of slow guys who got pushed around quite easily.

We had some other transfers.

then we had the Great Treon Harris Debacle of '14-'15. About 5 foot-nothing, and floated the ball out there like he was casting for bass. Add to that the fact that the Oline STILL was made up of guys too slow and/or injured to play at this level, and we just had no chance.

Grier had the talent. He had some players around him. Then he drank a roid-smoothie and ends up at W. Va. for really no damn good reason at all.

Del Rio? Appleby? Meh.

We need QBs that can stick around and be cultivated WITH an offensive line and receivers to work with them for a year before we expect UF to both recruit to sustain (which comes from winning) and recruit at the same level as FSU.

Right now, if you are an offensive player in Florida with definite NFL potential and willing to leave home, you want to play at Alabama. If you are that same kid that wants to stay closer to home, you want to play for FSU.

We need to change that. Right now its QB by committee and scheming to develop three good plays a game, and that is not keeping up with the Joneses.

But what we need to do is right in front of us. We all know it. McElwain can get it done, I do believe. And the fanbase gets it.

You guys? Not sure the path back to the top of the SECe is all that clear for you, much less back to being a factor at the national level. You've got some stars, yes, but surrounded by too much blech players in standard roles.

Plus your coaching staff seems bound and determined to pull a Mark "Let me see how I can just sort of zone out and make the wrong decision" Richt twice a year.

Florida guys, if you had a choice of trading McElwain for Richt would you do it ?

Recruiting second best in Florida does not exactly equal "fairly mediocre fashion."

Having said that, Florida's problems on offense have been due almost entirely to the problems we have had at the QB position.

What about your defensive players? McElwain hasn't exactly replaced Muschamp's guys with a ton of elite recruits. Where have your Percy Harvin/Brandon James/Andre Caldwell/Aaron Hernandez players been? I agree with you about the poor QB play, but I haven't seen elite weapons for them to get the ball to either.

In 2015, McElwain had the 21st rated class (10th in the SEC). In 2016, he had the 12th rated class (5th SEC). In 2017, the 11th rated (5th SEC). It might be second best in the state of Florida, but 10th, 5th, and 5th in the SEC is quite mediocre, IMO, especially at UF.

I agree that Tennessee's path back to the top is not as clear, and that's precisely because it is more difficult to recruit here than at Florida or Georgia. I try and get people on VN to understand that all the time, but I get ripped for a "defeatist" attitude :)

Our defensive recruiting has dropped off since Muschamp left.

Our skill players are head and shoulders better since Muschamp left.

VN Store

Back