Sumlin knows he's on the hot seat

Sumlin sucks and needs to be fired yesterday.

750 million in stadium updates (largest capacity in the SEC)
Fertile recruiting base in Texas.
Rabid fan base.
Anything he wants money-wise (has completely changed his staff).
Johnny Football.

He took all these advantages and shat the bed to an 8-5 season every year.

Horrible gameday coach. Average to below-average recruiter.

I'm an Aggie and wanted him gone 2 years ago.

Sumlin sucks and needs to be fired yesterday.

750 million in stadium updates (largest capacity in the SEC)
Fertile recruiting base in Texas.
Rabid fan base.
Anything he wants money-wise (has completely changed his staff).
Johnny Football.

He took all these advantages and shat the bed to an 8-5 season every year.

Horrible gameday coach. Average to below-average recruiter.

I'm an Aggie and wanted him gone 2 years ago.

Sounds like Jones in a harder conference.

Crazy. Only coach othee than Nicky to win 8 Games in 5 seasons.

The west is brutal.

He's fortunate he is still there. I've never seen a program makes its way into the top 10 and even top 5, time after time, and completely fall off the map in the second half of the season. Coaching is a big problem in Aggieland.

He's fortunate he is still there. I've never seen a program makes its way into the top 10 and even top 5, time after time, and completely fall off the map in the second half of the season. Coaching is a big problem in Aggieland.

...and he had his biggest successes in Year 1 with guys he didn't even recruit.

He's 44-21 overall

But only 21-19 in the SEC. That ain't gonna cut it.

He's 1-9 against Bama and LSU.

I think 4-6 against State and Ole Miss.

5-0 against Arky is the only thing that has saved his SEC record.

Atogether, with the resources he has in the SEC (2nd only to maybe Alabama, although we have more money), he hasn't even done a mediocre job. He's suuuuuuuuuuucked.

Sumlin isn't the only Aggie coaching to trend like that in th modern era, IIRC.

Maybe all the ridiculousness of being an Aggie wears coaches down by mid October?

It's A & M, their historical records have been 9 wins. That's the ceiling and has been for a long time.
They've done this for years with several coaches. The Aggies are not the powerhouse the Aggies think they are

Reactions: 2 people
It's A & M, their historical records have been 9 wins. That's the ceiling and has been for a long time.
They've done this for years with several coaches. The Aggies are not the powerhouse the Aggies think they are

They actually are not that altogether different than Tennessee.

Texas A&M really hasn't been very good since 2000 (only finished the season ranked 3 times) but Tennessee has really only been marginally better. Both A&M and Tennessee's last conference titles were in 1998.

Reactions: 1 person

So, basically, A&M = UT.

Overall record UT vs A&M

2010 + UT 46-42 A&M 60-31
2000-2009 UT 83-51 A&M 63-59
1990-1999 UT 99-22 A&M 94-28-2
1980-1989 UT 77-37 A&M 71-44
1970-1979 UT 75-39 A&M 65-49

A&M's best years were late 80's to mid 90's. You know when UT's were. A&M went to the Sugar Bowl in 1998. Both teams fired legacy coaches (Fulmer;Slocum) - both had sucky coaches recently (A&M Franchione; UT Dooley).

Remember, A&M was at a severe disadvantage recruiting-wise because prior to 1977, they were a small all male military academy like the Citadel (maybe 4-6,000 students). Now, they have the largest student enrollment in the nation, and make the most money each year in the SEC in total revenue.

Basically, both teams have similar histories past 1970, although Sumlin is doing less with more than Jones, who is doing about the same being in the easier East division.

Remember, A&M was at a severe disadvantage recruiting-wise because prior to 1977, they were a small all male military academy like the Citadel (maybe 4-6,000 students). Now, they have the largest student enrollment in the nation, and make the most money each year in the SEC in total revenue.

You just nailed why so many in their fanbase are so put out with Sumlin.

They have a ton of money, they are in the SEC, recently expanded/renovated 100k+ stadium, etc. They expect to be winning SEC West titles and being nationally relevant, Alabama be damned.

What's the ceiling for Texas A&M football?

They remind me of UCLA...average to above average football program, playing second fiddle historically its primary rival.

What's the ceiling for Texas A&M football?

They remind me of UCLA...average to above average football program, playing second fiddle historically its primary rival.

It should be competing for a national title every so often given their conference, recruiting ability, money, etc. Not on a year in, year out basis like Alabama or Ohio State, but definitely here and there. They should also win the SEC West once every few years. Really pretty similar to Tennessee, IMO.

A&M's problem is that other Texas schools like Baylor and TCU capitalized on Texas's extended down period way more than they did, and their down period might be coming to a close.

I don't quite they are UCLA because unlike them, football is actually a priority at A&M. They want to be really good consistently. I think the administration at UCLA can kind of take or leave being very successful in football. If UCLA wanted to do what it takes to have a consistently great program, they could do it too.

Last edited:
It should be competing for a national title every so often given their conference, recruiting ability, money, etc. Not on a year in, year out basis like Alabama or Ohio State, but definitely here and there. They should also win the SEC West once every few years. Really pretty similar to Tennessee, IMO.

A&M's problem is that other Texas schools like Baylor and TCU capitalized on Texas's extended down period way more than they did, and their down period might be coming to a close.

I don't quite they are UCLA because unlike them, football is actually a priority at A&M. They want to be really good consistently. I think the administration at UCLA can kind of take or leave being very successful in football. If UCLA wanted to do what it takes to have a consistently great program, they could do it too.

Haven't the last several coaches at UCLA complained about lack of funding-facilities and such?

Really pretty similar to Tennessee, IMO.

The 10essee and aggie comparison is accurate enough. The unfortunate demise of both programs in the same stream of time is going to make this a sprint to find the next great head replacement. Seems whoever is able to fire their coach first should have the inside track to the next savior, Chip Kelly.

VN Store

Back