David Blackburn Resigning at UTC.

cba.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Wow - resigning, but apparently not to take another job? The TFP ran an article about him just a few weeks ago that discussed he was obviously disappointed with how the Tennessee AD search went but that he was "at peace" with it now. Something going on there.

Why? So there can be unneeded friction between him and his boss? Yeah that's a smart idea

So having 1 successful AD in the dept is better than having 2? As I said, make him asst AD. The pecking order is clear. He would either accept the position, or reject it, but the offer should be made.

Reactions: 1 person
Why? So there can be unneeded friction between him and his boss? Yeah that's a smart idea

its possible they are pals and get along handsomely....that however isn't even a lateral move
so there must be a real good opportunity out there in the horizon for Mr. Blackwell

UPDATE: A statement released by the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga confirmed that Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics David Blackburn has resigned from his position.
"The time has come for me to resign as Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics," David Blackburn said in a news release. "I love UTC and the city of Chattanooga. I'm grateful for the time allowed to serve this great school and city."*
"We appreciate the time and attention that David has provided our athletic programs at UTC," Chancellor Steve Angle said in a news release. "The Mocs have reached unprecedented heights over the last four years under David's leadership and we thank him for his efforts."
Angle has named Scott Altizer the interim athletic director. For the last three years*Altizer has served as the Senior Associate Athletics Director for Internal Operations.

New Mexico AD just resigned. Maybe not a high profile school but it'd be a cool place to live for a while. Also, there are lots of openings in Oxford.

Clearly caught the newspaper and school by surprise. Something negative seems likely.
Hope he is OK.

It could be as simple as this: Dave was not shy in acknowledging that he would've liked to move to Knoxville when we were looking for an AD. UTC leadership undoubtedly took note. Having a guy on board in a key position who you now know for a fact would rather be somewhere else can get under the skin of some. Friction develops. Given a few months, it grows into something that can no longer be ignored. Conversations take place. Folks finally agree things can't go on this way. One agrees to step down, the rest accept. It's mostly all civil, polite, restrained. No screaming or recriminations, just a parting of the ways.

Nothing really shocking in all that, just human nature playing out over time.

Good chance that's all this is.

Theory 1. He was asked to resign because of him publicly admitting how he handled his responsibilities at UTC while hoping to receive the AD position at UTK.

Theory 1. He was asked to resign because of him publicly admitting how he handled his responsibilities at UTC while hoping to receive the AD position at UTK.

That would seem foolish of UTC. Clearly they knew he'd jump at an opportunity to be AD at UT if given the chance.

Reactions: 4 people
Theory 2. UTC got to the top of the heap by some dirty dealing. It's about to be SHTF time. Mercer Bears gonna own SoCon. :rock:

That would seem foolish of UTC. Clearly they knew he'd jump at an opportunity to be AD at UT if given the chance.

I just remembered there were several here that thought he shouldn't have publicly admitted not doing a very good job at UTC while all of that was going on.

VN Store

Back