Some ways to "fix" college football.

Well most Vol fans know about the long games going over into ours on TV -- should not be a hard fix --if its a game already decided CUT OUT

Reactions: 1 person
Well most Vol fans know about the long games going over into ours on TV -- should not be a hard fix --if its a game already decided CUT OUT

Sounds like a good plan, but people would miss out on great comebacks. As an example look at a couple of years ago when the game USCe was "over" but Dobbs led that misaculous comeback down at Scar. Statistically the game was over, and we were on the losing side of it, but the final score went our way.

Reactions: 4 people
Sounds like a good plan, but people would miss out on great comebacks. As an example look at a couple of years ago when the game USCe was "over" but Dobbs led that misaculous comeback down at Scar. Statistically the game was over, and we were on the losing side of it, but the final score went our way.

The real annoying ones are when a team is winning by 21 or more and still passing on every down, with 4 minutes to go -- was also one where Clemson had a 45 point lead with 10 minutes left and a Vols game was supposed to start

When Georgia is up on Georgia Southern 62-10 with 5 minutes left there isn't going to be a comeback. Those are the cases where the network should cut away for the start of the next game.

The NFL doesn't stop the clock after a 1st down and the length of their games are shorter and more consistent: 3 hrs 15 mins.

Commercial break for every single 'injury' in that app state game was almost the death of me. I swear app state looked like they were on the streets of fallujah from all the sniper fire they were taking.

A couple of things.

1). Start the 20 minute halftime within a minute of the 2nd quarter ending. Sometimes it's several minutes before they start the clock.

2). Stop throwing so many damn flags and let them play.

3). Have a set limit on reviews...and EVERY play doesn't need to be reviewed.

3). Have a set limit on reviews...and EVERY play doesn't need to be reviewed.

They need to adopt the NFL system and let the coaches have two challenges. Inside the final two minutes, and in OT, the challenge comes from the booth. The current system drags the game down so much it's infuriating.

They need to adopt the NFL system and let the coaches have two challenges. Inside the final two minutes, and in OT, the challenge comes from the booth. The current system drags the game down so much it's infuriating.

I have no problem with the current rule in theory. However when they stop play to review a call that was obviously right to start with it's maddening.

I have no problem with the current rule in theory. However when they stop play to review a call that was obviously right to start with it's maddening.

yeah but the issue with this is there will be more misses as they have less chance for review to get it right. still won't explain games like Miami beating Duke a couple years ago.

Commercial break for every single 'injury' in that app state game was almost the death of me. I swear app state looked like they were on the streets of fallujah from all the sniper fire they were taking.

If a player creates an injury timeout, they must sit out the rest of that possession. I noticed that many of those Appy players would just sit out one play and that is bull s***. This has become a strategy to defend against the fast paced offense.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as a long Vols game. They're all too short. Season's too short. Can never get enough UT football.

Here is an idea. Drown Larry Culepper in a vat of ice cold Dr. Pepper. That would make the game more enjoyable for me.

Why hasn't anyone suggested less commercials? There was a era - after television, but before every game was broadcast, and (maybe) before pay for view.

A game that wasn't televised had a really good flow to it. Only the coaches calling the timeouts. (my kids will never experience this- and that is sad).

Changing the rules to shorten the game is the tale wagging the dog. The real reason for a long game is ad revenue, and as long as $$$ is being made, it'll never get fixed, and perhaps only get longer.

My solution is to DVR and let the game get going about for about an hour, and then start watching it. Speed through the ads and most of halftime. By the middle of the 4th quarter, you are about caught up. Turn the phone off so the text messages don't spoil it.

Reactions: 2 people
Changing the rules to shorten the game is the tale wagging the dog. The real reason for a long game is ad revenue, and as long as $$$ is being made, it'll never get fixed, and perhaps only get longer.

The NFL sells more ad time than CFB, and yet their games are at least a half hour shorter on average.

Reactions: 2 people
I would start overtime yardage at the 35 instead of the 25. Maybe even the 45.

I think it should be the 50... and I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. It seems like it should be common sense that an offense should have to pick up at least one first down to be in field goal range.

If a player creates an injury timeout, they must sit out the rest of that possession. I noticed that many of those Appy players would just sit out one play and that is bull s***. This has become a strategy to defend against the fast paced offense.

I think if there is an injury time out the player should be out of the game for the remainder of the quarter.

Why hasn't anyone suggested less commercials? There was a era - after television, but before every game was broadcast, and (maybe) before pay for view.

A game that wasn't televised had a really good flow to it. Only the coaches calling the timeouts. (my kids will never experience this- and that is sad).

My solution is to DVR and let the game get going about for about an hour, and then start watching it. Speed through the ads and most of halftime. By the middle of the 4th quarter, you are about caught up. Turn the phone off so the text messages don't spoil it.
But then I couldn't participate in the game day thread. Then again that might be a good thing.

VN Store

Back