Saban will be 1st SEC coach penalized

Saban's thing is yelling at assistants. He is probably not even in the top half of the SEC in yelling at refs.

Reactions: 2 people
I would say Saban will be the first head coach with an assistant coach who received a "show cause" from the NCAA.

they will never touch Saban. he could stay in the ear of the sideline ref the whole game and not get called on it.

Gotta be Muschamp, CBJ, or Saban right?

I would say Muschamp 1a and Mark Stoops 1b. Stoops may actually spend more time arguing with the refs than Muschamp. He just doesn't look quite as demented as Muschamp.
PIDNU.jpg
stoops-snarl-msu.jpg

But it's a close call.

they will never touch Saban. he could stay in the ear of the sideline ref the whole game and not get called on it.

The refs know who pays their salary

Very little need to. He hasn't seen a holding call in 7 years...

I would say Saban will be the first head coach with an assistant coach who received a "show cause" from the NCAA.

It could be that the NCAA, and by extension the refs, favor Bama. It could also be that Saban's staff is dirty. But at least give some thought to the idea that the Bama Athletic Department has been really well run the past 15 years and had the ability to get the best head coach available who then put together what really is the best staff in America.
But it could make you uncomfortable to think this is true considering the ineptitude exhibited by the Tennessee Athletic Department the past 15 years, so ya, lets go with Saban cheats and gets away with it.

Until someone breaks a headset by ripping it from their head over a call, no other SEC coach stands a chance against CBJ.

Butch can definitely get fiery, but he seems to at least make his case and get back to business. I've seen Muschamp and Stoops each let themselves get distracted from the game because they can't let a call go and continue to scream at the side judge. But both are former DCs and DCs are typically pretty animated and quick to explode.

It could be that the NCAA, and by extension the refs, favor Bama. It could also be that Saban's staff is dirty. But at least give some thought to the idea that the Bama Athletic Department has been really well run the past 15 years and had the ability to get the best head coach available who then put together what really is the best staff in America.
But it could make you uncomfortable to think this is true considering the ineptitude exhibited by the Tennessee Athletic Department the past 15 years, so ya, lets go with Saban cheats and gets away with it.

Having one of the best run AD's in the country, which they do, has no bearing on how games are officiated. Saban and Bama get the benefit of the calls because they're top dog at this point, same as USC did in their heyday or UK and Duke in bball.

First, the officials in football are by conference. So, the SEC runs them out there. The head of officials is a Bama grad, and their headquarters is in Birmingham. Second, the data for holding penalties after Saban arrived has been floating out there. It is quite comical how few have been called on them in conference play. It's not a myth.

Reactions: 2 people
First, the officials in football are by conference. So, the SEC runs them out there. The head of officials is a Bama grad, and their headquarters is in Birmingham. Second, the data for holding penalties after Saban arrived has been floating out there. It is quite comical how few have been called on them in conference play. It's not a myth.

Well, the good new appears to be that it's turning around. Last year, Bama was called for 3 times as many holding calls as their opponents when the game was called by SEC refs (10 vs 3). Only got called for holding twice by other conference refs. Maybe it was a one year blip.

Well, the good new appears to be that it's turning around. Last year, Bama was called for 3 times as many holding calls as their opponents when the game was called by SEC refs (10 vs 3). Only got called for holding twice by other conference refs. Maybe it was a one year blip.

What's interesting is that Alabama was the second most penalized team in the SEC (per game) but only had 44 yards of penalties per game (which was 10th). So, that means they called more 5 yard penalties than anything. Certainly didn't call many 10 and 15 yard penalties. I wonder how many of the holdings were called after Bama had a double digit lead.

Certainly didn't call any for Derek Barnett the last two years while Cam Robinson tackled him.

Reactions: 1 person
What's interesting is that Alabama was the second most penalized team in the SEC (per game) but only had 44 yards of penalties per game (which was 10th). So, that means they called more 5 yard penalties than anything. Certainly didn't call many 10 and 15 yard penalties. I wonder how many of the holdings were called after Bama had a double digit lead.

Certainly didn't call any for Derek Barnett the last two years while Cam Robinson tackled him.

Where did we rank in opposing penalties and yards?

Where did we rank in opposing penalties and yards?

I wasn't the one who said that the refs are paid by Bama. That's not realistic, and I am betting the poster who said it was half way joking.

That stat for opponents' penalties isn't that relevant because an official can't just create a penalty on an opposing team. What he can do is ignore an obvious penalty by a certain team. While opponents may be low in penalties, over the years, the data has shown that Bama has had fewer longer yardage penalties, especially holding. That's not the stat to use in this instance.

Last edited:
I wasn't the one who said that the refs are paid by Bama. That's not realistic, and I am betting the poster who said it was half way joking.

That stat for opponents' penalties isn't that relevant because an official can't just create a penalty on an opposing team. What he can do is ignore an obvious penalty by a certain team. While opponents may be low in penalties, over the years, the data has shown that Bama has had fewer longer yardage penalties, especially holding. That's not the stat to use in this instance.

So, just to clarify: if Bama doesn't certain penalties, it's because the refs are missing them (whether intentionally or by accident), but if Bama's opponents are called for even fewer penalties, it's because there aren't any penalties to call? Nice.

VN Store

Back