Texas A&M's AD just put coach Kevin Sumlin square on the hot seat

He should start looking for a job right now. That is if he wants another coaching job.

Should have taken an NFL gig a couple of years ago.

Oh well, he goes into broadcasting for a year as a consultant, gets paid by TAM and goes to work for some G5 team as HC or as a OC at a P5 team in a couple of years.

I always knew I was in the wrong line of work.

The AD said it wasn't about wins and losses when asked to clarify his comments. But he made it clear enough in his opening comments. If the aggies take one more season-ending nosedive Sumlin is gone.

Well, he should be. They've been an underachieving program ever since Sumlin's first year.

If he didn't have Manziel that first year and everything that came with him (beating Alabama, Heisman) he might already be gone. And he can't even take credit for recruiting Manziel.

dead-man-walking-3.png

If you've followed AM, history shows us they are a 8/ 9 win team with the occasional 6/7-0 start that sends the media and fans into a frenzy. They then crash and burn.

Nothing more to see here

If you've followed AM, history shows us they are a 8/ 9 win team with the occasional 6/7-0 start that sends the media and fans into a frenzy. They then crash and burn.

Nothing more to see here

Several VN posters have used that same argument about UT to explain why 8-4(4-4) seasons under CBJ are fine because 8-win seasons are the historical average.

Sounds like A&M's AD wants to be better than their historical average, and is willing to change coaches to make it happen.

Reactions: 1 person
Several VN posters have used that same argument about UT to explain why 8-4(4-4) seasons under CBJ are fine because 8-win seasons are the historical average.

Sounds like A&M's AD wants to be better than their historical average, and is willing to change coaches to make it happen.

So you're already assuming Currie won't fire Butch if he has another average season?

Did I reference the UT AD in my post? I swear I thought I typed A&M's AD.

You pointed out that some VN posters use the same argument over accepting 8-4 seasons under CBJ cause 8-win seasons are our historical average.

Then you mention A&M's AD is willing to make a necessary coaching change cause they're wanting to be better than their historical average.

You made it sound like a lot of Vol fans are just accepting mediocrity because we only historically average 8 win seasons when that's not even the case. A lot of posters including myself are very skeptical of CBJ and are in favor of Currie giving him the boot if he has another average season with this years squad. Just because a lot of programs are willing to fire coaches because they want to win more, doesn't mean Currie is just going to keep CBJ around cause we're winning 8-9 games every year.

Historical averages don't mean sh*t to some of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
He's cooked if we go 6-6, IMO. Even with a first-year AD. I'm not sure anybody knows the precise effect working under a first-year AD has on Butch's job security. I understand the argument that it increases it, but I also understand an equally-believable argument that it decreases it.

Put some meat around what 6-6 would entail - who exactly would those losses be to? That's a lot of losses; we'd have to lose to multiple inferior teams to accumulate that many this year.

Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and LSU are 4 likely ones. Georgia Tech would likely be another. Take your pick from among South Carolina, Kentucky, Mizzou, or Vandy for another. If there's a loss to Indiana St, UMass, or Southern Miss, all bets are off. Don't think many people would tolerate that.

Butch will survive next year...we miss out on Chip Kelly sweepstakes. But I wouldn't mind seeing Kelly at ATM. Thorn in Saban's side.

I don't think Kevin Sumlin will survive even a 5-3 SEC record in 2017.

Last edited:

Bearded, there you go a-friggin'-gain. Post #10, taking a perfectly good thread about A&M and veering into yet another "Butch sucks" discussion.

I don't hate often, but would actually like to see the Mods ban you for a month or two, just so we can have threads about different topics for a while.

Everything. Does. Not. Have. To. Be. About. Butch.

Reactions: 5 people
Bearded, there you go a-friggin'-gain. Post #10, taking a perfectly good thread about A&M and veering into yet another "Butch sucks" discussion.

I don't hate often, but would actually like to see the Mods ban you for a month or two, just so we can have threads about different topics for a while.

Everything. Does. Not. Have. To. Be. About. Butch.

The same argument used for both coaches, and not by me. If Butch has a copy-write on it Barb, then you'll need to take it up with Zeus1:good!:

The same argument used for both coaches, and not by me. If Butch has a copy-write on it Barb, then you'll need to take it up with Zeus1:good!:

Zeus didn't turn this thread into another We Hate Butch a-thon. You did that with post #10.

Leave it. Let other topics be other topics.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back