Notre Dame in talks to join ACC in football?

IF (and that's a huge what if) this happens I could see Notre Dame asking for Navy to preserve that rivalry. I could also see ESPN maybe trying to get the hometown team, UConn, into the league. West Virginia would be the best football addition.

If ESPN has their druthers, Texas will join the ACC and the Longhorn Network will simply become the ACC Network. Kills two birds with one stone.

If ESPN has their druthers, Texas will join the ACC and the Longhorn Network will simply become the ACC Network. Kills two birds with one stone.

Makes sense. That would also allow the aTm / Texas game to be rescheduled. Another solid ACC vs SEC matchup last week of the season. I like it.

Then conference realignment becomes the race to land Oklahoma.

Makes sense. That would also allow the aTm / Texas game to be rescheduled. Another solid ACC vs SEC matchup last week of the season. I like it.

Wouldn't be surprised if OU and Okie State eventually became part of the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person
Ah, the semiannual will Notre Dame join a conference in football discussion. Have heard this so much I will believe it when I actually see it.

Would Vol fans be upset if Tennessee considered joining the ACC? I don't think it would be a bad move for them but eventually, the SEC will be good again.

Yay. It's the post-draft offseason, time for conference expansion and realignment rumors!

IF (and that's a huge what if) this happens I could see Notre Dame asking for Navy to preserve that rivalry.

Aside from Navy being in the American already, I can't see that happening. There's no real reason to make it a conference game...the ACC isn't going to get in Notre Dame's way of scheduling a mid-major Navy as an OOC.

Not to mention, these moves are about money and the market around Navy isn't really near the level of what the power conferences want in a member...they don't really "increase the pie enough" so to speak.

I could also see ESPN maybe trying to get the hometown team, UConn, into the league. West Virginia would be the best football addition.

I can't see the ACC suddenly rushing to add in West Virginia after the conference flat out turned down their advances the first time. Not to mention that the ACC probably isn't going to try raiding the lessers in the Big 12...among other reasons to prevent causing that whole chaos and instability across the major conferences as a whole (not to mention with what they were on the receiving end of at the Big 10's hands probably still in memory).

The Big 12 conference membership really wasn't what was stopping that game from being rescheduled.

Wouldn't be surprised if OU and Okie State eventually became part of the SEC.

I would. Especially after everything indicated by the powers that be at Oklahoma towards this conference during the last round of realignment, as well as how much a conference to the west was the target they desired much more. (Plus, not to mention the whole doubling down in the same media market thing.)

Would Vol fans be upset if Tennessee considered joining the ACC? I don't think it would be a bad move for them but eventually, the SEC will be good again.

Unless the ACC were to come in and offer a very monetarily favorable deal, I don't see how a strong argument could be made for such a move at this point in time.

But then the question would be how Notre Dame be allowed to keep its NBC TV deal as an ACC member while Texas was forced to merge its into the shared pool of the ACC members?

Reactions: 1 person
But then the question would be how Notre Dame be allowed to keep its NBC TV deal as an ACC member while Texas was forced to merge its into the shared pool of the ACC members?

Pretty much the reason they never joined a conference to begin with

If Notre Dame eventually joins the ACC, they won't be keeping their football-only TV deal.

Aside from Navy being in the American already, I can't see that happening. There's no real reason to make it a conference game...the ACC isn't going to get in Notre Dame's way of scheduling a mid-major Navy as an OOC.

Not to mention, these moves are about money and the market around Navy isn't really near the level of what the power conferences want in a member...they don't really "increase the pie enough" so to speak.

Only reason I suggest it is if ND does in fact join a conference, there's no way they can keep USC, Purdue, Stanford, Michigan State, and Navy all OOC.

[/QUOTE] I can't see the ACC suddenly rushing to add in West Virginia after the conference flat out turned down their advances the first time. Not to mention that the ACC probably isn't going to try raiding the lessers in the Big 12...among other reasons to prevent causing that whole chaos and instability across the major conferences as a whole (not to mention with what they were on the receiving end of at the Big 10's hands probably still in memory).[/QUOTE]

I know ACC won't reach out to West Virginia unless several options say no, I was just saying football wise (which hardly seems to matter in these moves) I thought they would be the best addition.

The Big 12 conference membership really wasn't what was stopping that game from being rescheduled.

True, but don't you think IF Texas moved to the ACC, there would be some more pressure (possibly by ESPN) to have this game?

I would. Especially after everything indicated by the powers that be at Oklahoma towards this conference during the last round of realignment, as well as how much a conference to the west was the target they desired much more. (Plus, not to mention the whole doubling down in the same media market thing.)

Maybe so, but you're not getting one without the other. They are linked whether it be to the B1G, Pac12 or SEC.

This whole conference re-alignment is getting so big that for Power 5's to continue expanding, the regional nuance of conferences will be lost. On the verge of that now. The SEC is already on that bubble with A&M and Mizzou. The ACC is on that bubble, as well as the B1G. I think they are already too big. I was good with 12 team conferences. 14 is tolerable. Considering who we added, the SEC didn't diminish competition and quality. Power 5 alignments and memberships is going much like bowl games. Too many.

Would make sense for ND. They can make the same money or better with the ACC network plus lighten the schedule.

This whole conference re-alignment is getting so big that for Power 5's to continue expanding, the regional nuance of conferences will be lost. On the verge of that now. The SEC is already on that bubble with A&M and Mizzou. The ACC is on that bubble, as well as the B1G. I think they are already too big. I was good with 12 team conferences. 14 is tolerable. Considering who we added, the SEC didn't diminish competition and quality. Power 5 alignments and memberships is going much like bowl games. Too many.

Outside folks like to poke fun at the SEC and the fans' pride/camaraderie but it's harder to understand when you don't share a culture and history, outside of football, like the SEC does. Regionalism is the one thing that sets this conference apart from the rest, even with the 2012 expansion. How can someone in Piscataway, NJ relate to someone from Lincoln, NE? Or Syracuse, NY to Blacksburg, VA? The SEC was able to make financial, market grabbing moves while still maintaining a solid sense of identity; much better than any other conference has. I can only imagine if the OU-OSU move to the PAC 12 had happened 5-odd years ago. An OSU Poke in LA or Eugene; makes total sense.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back