Reuben Foster fails drug test at the combine

Dobbs 4 Heisman

I am on a freaking role lately. First the news of Dobbs being a potential 1st round pick. Now this news with Reuben Foster.

Come defend ya boy Bamawriter. :)

[Twitter]https://twitter.com/NFL/status/855153929402933248[/Twitter]

And FTR I've been calling Reuben Foster a bust for a while now. He's undersized, reckless on the field with how he plays, and a mess off the field.

He is a surefire BUST.

Reactions: 2 people
If you are so sick that you have to make such an extreme effort to rehydrate, you have an obligation to disclose it. If you don't, you sacrifice the opporunity to be taken at your word.

A failed drug test does not equate to him being a bust, if anything going by your asinine definition of a bust this will move him down in the draft and make it harder for him to be a bust.

A failed drug test does not equate to him being a bust, if anything going by your asinine definition of a bust this will move him down in the draft and make it harder for him to be a bust.

Randy Gregory
Josh Gordon
Justin Blackmon
Dion Jordan

Drug issues are a one way ticket to being outta the league before your rookie deal is up.

I am on a freaking role lately. First the news of Dobbs being a potential 1st round pick. Now this news with Reuben Foster.

And FTR I've been calling Reuben Foster a bust for a while now. He's undersized, reckless on the field with how he plays, and a mess off the field.

He is a surefire BUST.

Which role are you auditioning for?

Reactions: 7 people
Randy Gregory
Josh Gordon
Justin Blackmon
Dion Jordan

Drug issues are a one way ticket to being outta the league before your rookie deal is up.

Just because x and y both occur does not mean that there is a cause and effect relationship between those two variables and even if there is a cause and effect relationship there are numerous factors in the equation. Plenty of players have had successful careers, with some even becoming hall of famers, while battling drug issues. It is definitely a mark against him and something that will need to be addressed, but to act like this one failed drug test completely validates your prediction of him being a bust is very wrong

He is a surefire BUST.

How can you call someone else a mess off the field when flip and flop with your attitude and emotions more then a fish out of water?

Reactions: 4 people
His story doesn't add up. He admitted to being sick. "He was throwing up, had diarrhea, couldn't keep anything down and was cramping." An adviser then offered to have a doctor put some IV fluids through him, and Foster declined! Foster went on to say he believes it was food poisoning.

I've been there, I've had food poisoning, and not being able to keep anything down includes water, and getting dehydrated feels awful. Knowing there is water around and you can't drink it because it comes right back up is a very desperate feeling. Anyone with a brain would welcome some IV fluids if they're that dehydrated.

Just because x and y both occur does not mean that there is a cause and effect relationship between those two variables and even if there is a cause and effect relationship there are numerous factors in the equation. Plenty of players have had successful careers, with some even becoming hall of famers, while battling drug issues. It is definitely a mark against him and something that will need to be addressed, but to act like this one failed drug test completely validates your prediction of him being a bust is very wrong

It's kind of hard to be a good player if you're banned from taking the field, no? Those 4 guys D4H listed haven't panned out not because they suck, but because they've barely taken the field due to suspensions.

It depends on how serious Foster's drug issues are, I guess. Using drugs prior to a drug test that you know with certainty is coming is either totally idiotic, a sign he can't control the drug use, or both. I know he didn't actually test positive for anything but his reasoning seems suspect given that he didn't inform the person giving the test that he was sick.

A couple of the guys D4H cited (Gregory, Gordon) had some pretty well-documented pre-draft substance problems and NFL squads would have been well-served to draft them with caution.

If he busts, I think it is more likely he will do so because he is undersized. Most of Alabama's LBs these days are undersized by NFL standards since Saban began recruiting smaller, faster guys to defend the spread. There are undersized LBs that have great careers, but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Last edited:
Most of Alabama's LBs these days are undersized by NFL standards since Saban began recruiting smaller, faster guys to defend the spread. There are undersized LBs that have great careers, but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Linebackers at Alabama:

Ben Davis - 6'4" 240 lbs
Dylan Moses - 6'3" 235 lbs
Jamey Mosley - 6'5" 245 lbs
Shaun Dion Hamilton - 6'0" 235 lbs
Terrell Hall - 6'5" 255 lbs
Mack Wilson - 6'0" 235 lbs
Rashaan Evans - 6'3" 235 lbs
Anfernee jennings 6'3" 265 lbs
Joshua McMillion - 6'3" 245 lbs
Keith Holcombe - 6'4" 245 lbs
Christian Miller - 6'4" 240 lbs
Mekhi Brown - 6'5" 245lbs

Recruits not on campus yet:

Chris Allen - 6'4" 235 lbs
Markail Benton - 6'2" 230 lbs
Vandarious Cowan - 6'4" 220 lbs

Nothing undersized about these guys and with the frames most are carrying they can easy put on 20 lbs of muscle anytime they are asked to do it.

Linebackers at Alabama:

Ben Davis - 6'4" 240 lbs
Dylan Moses - 6'3" 235 lbs
Jamey Mosley - 6'5" 245 lbs
Shaun Dion Hamilton - 6'0" 235 lbs
Terrell Hall - 6'5" 255 lbs
Mack Wilson - 6'0" 235 lbs
Rashaan Evans - 6'3" 235 lbs
Anfernee jennings 6'3" 265 lbs
Joshua McMillion - 6'3" 245 lbs
Keith Holcombe - 6'4" 245 lbs
Christian Miller - 6'4" 240 lbs
Mekhi Brown - 6'5" 245lbs

Recruits not on campus yet:

Chris Allen - 6'4" 235 lbs
Markail Benton - 6'2" 230 lbs
Vandarious Cowan - 6'4" 220 lbs

Nothing undersized about these guys and with the frames most are carrying they can easy put on 20 lbs of muscle anytime they are asked to do it.

Those guys at 240 lbs and below, of which there are several can (and probably will) put on more weight as you described. Hamilton and Wilson are very short for the position at just 6'0''. It would be tedious to go back and look, but I bet the LBs he has now are smaller on average than the guys he was recruiting several years ago. It seemed like he had a lot of Dont'a Hightower-sized guys (listed at 6'2'', 265 at the combine) back in the day.

Those guys at 240 lbs and below, of which there are several can (and probably will) put on more weight as you described. Hamilton and Wilson are very short for the position at just 6'0''. It would be tedious to go back and look, but I bet the LBs he has now are smaller on average than the guys he was recruiting several years ago. It seemed like he had a lot of Dont'a Hightower-sized guys (listed at 6'2'', 265 at the combine) back in the day.

Actually, Mack Wilson is listed at 6'2", typo. The game is changing, we were in nickel and dime 85% of the time last season. Last season, in the dime, you saw safety Ronnie Harrison in the "money" position. Well, everybody but Dobbs. :eek:hmy:

Bama employed the hybrid OLB in the 3-4 defense. That has changed with more emphasis on the Tim Williams type speed on the edge. But Anderson on the other edge could come and get the QB and plenty big enough to be a run stuffer on the edge. Jennings and others are big enough to step into those roles.

Randy Gregory
Josh Gordon
Justin Blackmon
Dion Jordan

Really? Shane Ray's still doing fine. I'm pretty sure he was starting for the Broncos last season again.

It seems like it will more depend on how recurring of a thing this turns out to be for this player.

Seriously. It all still worked out pretty well for Shane Ray, though.

That's because Shane Ray might not have a "drug problem" per se, but might simply just be an idiot.

There is a difference between someone like him and someone like Randy Gregory, Josh Gordon, or Justin Blackmon, who repeatedly fail drug tests, need rehab, or get arrested so much they'd have a hard time holding down any job, much less being a professional athlete.

Whether Foster is one or the other...only time will tell I guess.

Foster has always been a mess. Just look at his recruitment.

And his tattoo....

Made a mess of your offense too. He's been described as a great teammate and leader by players and head coach alike. Reuben made the defensive calls and set the defensive tone for Bama in every game he started, as well as lead the number one defense in the land in tackles. Ask Leonard Fournette who laid the nastiest lick on him in college and he'll tell you, and youtube can show you, Reuben Foster. He was and is the heaviest hitter in the SEC. Dobbs pick 6 was thrown to Harrison because Foster sniffed it out and wouldn't allow Hurd to get off the line.

The Butkus and All-American award winner will be honored today at our A-Day game as one of four permanent team captains of the 2016 team. When Bama fans speak about some of the greatest linebackers to ever put on the Crimson and White, and we will, Reuben Foster will be right there in the discussion with the best of them.

Made a mess of your offense too. He's been described as a great teammate and leader by players and head coach alike. Reuben made the defensive calls and set the defensive tone for Bama in every game he started, as well as lead the number one defense in the land in tackles. Ask Leonard Fournette who laid the nastiest lick on him in college and he'll tell you, and youtube can show you, Reuben Foster. He was and is the heaviest hitter in the SEC. Dobbs pick 6 was thrown to Harrison because Foster sniffed it out and wouldn't allow Hurd to get off the line.

The Butkus and All-American award winner will be honored today at our A-Day game as one of four permanent team captains of the 2016 team. When Bama fans speak about some of the greatest linebackers to ever put on the Crimson and White, and we will, Reuben Foster will be right there in the discussion with the best of them.

None of this takes away from how stupid it is to fail a drug test you know you have to take years in advance.

VN Store

Back